Setup & Software Discussions
2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 [8th,4C,U] + R9 Fury @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win...

2017 14" Lenovo Yoga 920 [8th,4C,U] + R9 Fury @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [itsage] // using 600W PSU  

RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Time for another eGPU pairing to the Yoga 920 (i7-8550U quad-core, x4 PCIe 3.0, and GT4 OPI). The R9 Fury series cards are sweet deals on the used market if you manage to find one. I found an ASUS Radeon R9 Fury STRIX on clearance at my local Micro Center for $137. This graphics card is massive and the Mantiz Venus could bare fit it. The polished heat pipes at the bottom has a motorcycle look to it. 😀

eGPU setup with Windows laptops is plug and play. You may want to do a manual installation of Crimson ReLive drivers to get the latest version. I ran 17.1.1 in this implementation which seems to degrade the R9 Fury performance a bit compared to older drivers.

AMD XConnect works very well to switch between accelerating the internal display and external monitor. I ran these tests on both modes.

External Monitor Internal Display

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

wusel and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
davidliu9518
(@davidliu9518)

Hi, Where did you get the thunderbolt driver? I have tried intels driver mentioned by others and it does not work properly. The EGPU only works in port 2, and it does not charge the laptop. I am using hp omen EGPU but I think they should be similar. Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ang3l12
(@ang3l12)

I'm in the same boat as david. I plug it into the tb3 closest to the hinge, and I get the infamous "error 12" that we see on the macbooks in bootcamp. When I plug it into the tb3 closest to the trackpad, it doesn't charge, but never actually works. It starts to work, then after about 10-15 seconds I hear the disconnect sound in windows, and the monitor goes black, as well as any peripherals I have plugged into the venus. any ideas?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@davidliu9518 and @ang3l12 I no longer have this Yoga 920. The Intel Thunderbolt Software that came with it was 17.1.64.250. I’d say check for new updates on Lenovo Support website.

ReplyQuote
davidliu9518
(@davidliu9518)

Thanks!  The driver's version is the same but it is still not working. I think there might be some compatibility issue or something wrong with my Omen egpu. I have ordered a Gigabyte gaming box and it works.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Thank you for letting us know about a possible compatibility issue with the OMEN Accelerator.

ReplyQuote
ang3l12
(@ang3l12)

I gave up on the yoga, went and got the spectre 360 instead. The yoga eventually worked when i put an nvidia card in, but it still would bluescreen on me 

ReplyQuote