Setup & Software Discussions
2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [...

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [KoreBoss] // Oculus Rift S  

RSS

KoreBoss
(@koreboss)

Late 2018 13" MacBook Pro Core i7 & 16GB Ram + EVGA RTX 2070 + Razer Core X + Windows 10 Bootcamp (on internal drive) ++ Oculus Rift S!!!!

System specs:
Late 2018 MacBook Pro Core i7 & 16GB Ram
+ Samsung 1TB external SSD, 540 MB/s
I don't have an external monitor yet. Will probably get a 1080p or 2k 24"

++ Oculus Rift S

I'm also using a Purgo multi dock to give me a bunch of extra ports. The dock is slim and tiny. Takes up two type c ports when connected to either side. You can find this on Amazon ~$70.

I will eventually buy a more serious externally powered USB hub so that my Mac doesn't need to power all the peripherals including the Oculus.

eGPU hardware: Razer Core X + EVGA RTX 2070 + using Razer Core X TB3 cable (the short ass one)

Hardware pictures: *will update soon*

Installation steps: Just installed bootcamp using the mac built in assistant, using the Windows 10, 2018 release( you can get it free from Microsofts website). Reserved 70gig on my internal drive for windows and anything else I needed. After installation of windows I left windows to update a bit over the wifi, restarted a few times. Unboxed the Razer Core X, put in my 2070 and then powered on the box. With Windows up and running on the Mac, I just hotpluged the egpu into the right TB3 port closest to the screen. Windows took a few minutes to recognize and install drivers. I think I had to restart a few times. ****I unplugged the egpu(CORE X) from my mac during restarts and plugged it back in after the windows loading animation started.**** IMPORTANT!
Windows automatically detected and got everything running mostly by itself. Sometimes I would get weird disconnections of WiFi when trying to hotplug the egpu after login, as well as the egpu not fully detecting. I could fix this by just restarting and hotpluging at the windows logo. I updated the graphics card driver using the DCH build, as that one doesn't give installation errors with Windows October 2018 update.

Benchmarks: Will upload real benchmarks and more screens later... Here's the current setup:

Overall the system runs better than I could have ever imagined. Especially with the Rift S. I need this because I design UI and UX in VR, and well... VR is just awesome.

I can run all the newest games on max settings (mostly all ultra) with great FPS, 1920x1080p. I let the games auto detect hardware and set my graphics settings and it puts them to max by default. I'm still running on the internal Mac laptop moniter which is tiny (13") so I need to test with an external.

Metro Exodus runs great!
Battlefield V run great!
Rainbow 6 Siege runs great!

All my VR titles run smooth!

It's just hands down amazing what this Macbook can do with the egpu.

BIG SHOUTOUT to @Itsage for his pioneering work on these matters. I only went ahead with my build because he had already confirmed it worked great with a similar setup.

This topic was modified 5 months ago

Late 2018 Macbook Pro i7 16GB, Razer Core X, EVGA RTX 2070, 1 TB Samsung external

adonalsium, nando4, itsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Good to hear your VR + eGPU setup is working great in Boot Camp! I wish more vendors would adopt VirtualLink for VR headset use. Navi cards came out without the VirtualLink output port is a major disappointment imo. Having this port on both ends makes the connection so much cleaner.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
merlinbk
(@merlinbk)

@koreboss

I'm running a similar MacBook Pro with a Core X Chroma and the Vega 56, However I can't get the Oculus to work. I hear the audio but nothing displays. I have it hooked up to the DP on the Vega and the usb 3.0 on the Core X Chroma dock. I'm running windows 10. It seems to detect it and configure, but nothing displays... I get the white dot in the back, and the blue on the front, but nothing, sometimes I even get the orange in the back. Any comments or suggestions? I tried installing and uninstalling drivers. I can't even get it to get past the setup where it asks for you to look into the Oculus for your environment its a black screen. Anyone know a way to see if there could be something wrong with the oculus? 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
KoreBoss
(@koreboss)

@MerlinBK  I imagine it's the graphics card/ driver support. Obviously, there are major differences between AMD & Nvidia. I don't know what to tell you, other than to try changing the USB for the Oculus from the egpu to your macbook. Also make sure you have all the newest drivers for everything installed, bootcamp, windows, graphics... etc.

Late 2018 Macbook Pro i7 16GB, Razer Core X, EVGA RTX 2070, 1 TB Samsung external

ReplyQuote
merlinbk
(@merlinbk)

@koreboss

I’m gonna try doing a driver wipe in windows. Then a reinstall. 

Does the headset display anything as soon as you plug it in? Or only after you have installed its drivers/ software? What lights turn on when it’s functioning? I tried 3 different usb hubs and no change. The oculus software reads the device but nothing displays. I’m running boot camp 6.1. Is there a newer version? Are there newer usb drivers?

I haven’t had any issues with the current laptop setup otherwise. 

Btw were you able to get the 2070 to work  in Mojave?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
KoreBoss
(@koreboss)

@merlinBK  The Rift works immediately as soon as I plug in the headset and put it on my head. The only light that should turn on is the small light above the nose on the inside of the headset, in between the two eye holes (lenses). I have not tried to run the 2070 on Mac OS.

ReplyQuote
merlinbk
(@merlinbk)

@koreboss

I seem to have made some progress today. It appears that the built in intel video card on the laptop is taking over and not letting the vega output via dp to the headset. When I disabled/uninstalled the intel card the oculus worked with no problem. Now I wonder if I can get the Vega to render the oculus software exclusively or find some way to keep the built in graphics on the mpro disabled until I stop using the oculus.

ReplyQuote
jet_lam
(@jet_lam)

can rift s work when plug usb to Razer Core X ?

ReplyQuote
(@just-be-freeman)

Can u help me, I have the same MBP13 2018 Touch Bar, W10 1809 bootcamp, GTX 1070 Founders edition + Akitio Node. When I plug cable to my Mac - nothing happens ( gtx is working.in Akitio box, cooler is rolling). But when I'm using another video card without external power (6+2) its Geforce GT8600, my laptop can see a new video adapter, n I can install a driver for this card. Why my 1070 not working in Akitio (but card is working in Desktop very good).

ReplyQuote
KoreBoss
(@koreboss)

@just-be-freeman

Can you provide more details?

Does the computer make any sounds or does the screen do anything when you plug your graphics card in? Does windows hardware manager recognize the device? Are you using the newest drivers?

Lastly, when you boot up, don't plug your egpu to your laptop until after you login to your windows user account. Login, wait for your startup programs to load then plug in the egpu. Make sure nothing else is plugged in to the laptop when you do.

ReplyQuote
(@just-be-freeman)

@koreboss

I tried everything but W10 can't recognize 1070. When I plug it - nothing happens, no sound, no any new device in manager, no lags, but when I change 1070 to GT8600 - w10 lagging n I can see GT8600 in device manager.    

ReplyQuote