Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14...

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [csofranz]  

RSS

csofranz
(@csofranz)

Mac mini, Late 2018, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD, i7 (3.2 GHz) using Mac OS and Windows 10 via BootCamp

eGPU: Razer Core X, AMD Vega 64 (ASUS STRIX OC 8GB)

Two (2) external 1980 x 1200 monitors (Samsung), Vive Pro and Vive (original) VR goggles

Note:
I originally ordered a Sonnet 650 breakaway box, but that unit arrived DOA, and after sending it back, Sonnet told me after 5 weeks of waiting that the replacement unit will be sent to me in 8 weeks. I then purchased the Razer Core X. In direct comparison (build only, the Sonnet device didn't run), the Razer wins hands down (which surprised me, as the Sonnet is much more expensive. Inserting the card is also much, much easier in the Razer, so I recommend that enclosure over Sonnet.

MacOS
Installation with macOS is straightforward. First monitor is plugged into mini's HDMI port, normal boot. Plug in the Razer to the TB3 port next to the HDMI port, and the ePGU and gfx card are immediately recognized. The second monitor is plugged into the card, and image comes up. The Vive is then plugged into the card using the DP plug (leaving two HDMI plugs for monitors). Installing SteamVR (via Steam) gave access to VR. I then could unplug the first monitor from the mini's HDMI port and plug into the card, having two monitors and a VR goggles connected.

Windows
KEY TO SUCCESSFULL INSTALLATION WAS FIRST UNPLUGGING ALL CONNECTIONS FROM THE CARD.

Unplug the eGPU, unplug all monitors/VR goggles from the card, and plug a monitor into the mini's HDMI slot.

Using the boot camp utility, I partitioned the internal ssd to 90% windows, 10% macOS (I use an external 2TB SSD via TB3 for macOS work) and then installed windows. Note that you need a free tool to make the Windows ISO disk image FAT32-compatible, or your boot camp install will fail with a very cryptic (and misleading) message. The real issue is that the file manager can't handle files > 4GB in FAT32, and the MS-provided ISO image (since the Autumn 2018 update) has a file that is larger. Copying that file will abort installation, forcing you to restore the partition with Disk Util, and then re-run boot camp after fixing the ISO image. After installing windows, make sure you are connected to the internet, that all updates have run, and that boot camp also has completed its updates

Then download AMD's newest drivers and install them

Reboot your Mac into Winows to make sure all is good. Note that we did not yet connect the eGPU

When Windows is up, connect the BARE (no monitors connected) eGPU. You'll hear some sound when Windows recognizes the card, and installs the drivers.

Wait until this is complete (it may take a few minutes)

Your main monitor (connected to the mini's HDMI slot may go dark. Ignore this. 
Now connect your second monitor to the card. A sound should play, and that monitor will come to life
You now can unplug the first monitor, and alsoplug it into the card. it should light up after a couple of seconds.

Make sure to configure your monitors in settings.

Connecting the Vive is straightforward (using the DP to miniDP cable) and Steam VR

Connecting the Vive PRO may confuse you because Windows may use the Vive as a giant first monitor, making windows seem unresponsive. All it did was extending  the monitor, pushing your existing two monitors to the side. Unplug, configure your monitors, and re-connect the Vive PRO. Steam VR will recognize it. Note that I haven't been able to run the Vive PRO (unlike the original Vive) in anything but extended mode. Since the PRO comes with a switch that allows you to turn it off, that is less of an issue.

Issues so far:
When switching OS from Mac to Windows, booting in Windows will fail if the eGPU isn't disconnected (via the menu item, no physical disco required) prior to shutdown. No idea why.
Also, Windows seems to hate having an external SSD (I have a 2TB external NVME card connected via TB3, furthest port from HDMI), so I need to disco them before starting Windows.
The mac mini disables the internal graphics card as soon as it detects the external card. This is annyoing
When in MacOS, make sure never to use the internal gpu, and make a point of unplugging it, or you will lose performance. Remember to check the 'Prefer eGPU' box in Get Info to ensure FCP et al really use the external card.

Comments
I am taken aback by how bad the macOS implementations of VR are compared to Windows. SteamVR gets roughly 30%-50% less performance on MacOS compared to Windows (boot camp, same machine). That is an insane amount of performance drop, probably attributed to SteamVR. 
Driving the Vive PRO and two HD monitors doesn't bother Vega 64 at all.
I have no idea why re-booting to MacOS or Windows fails when there is an external MacOS drive attached to the TB3 bus, or why I have to soft-disco (via the menu) the enclosure before booting into Windows. I guess cycling the enclosures power switch may have the same effect.

Note also that if you want to boot from an external drive, you'll have to disable the security setting that prevents that by booting from the internal recovery image.

Summary
In all, the mac mini, Razer Core X and Vega 64 make a great team. It's a bit rough around the edges (Apple should provide better BootCamp integration, and refrain from switching off the internal gpu in windows), but once you get it to work, it works really well. Be careful when booting to the other system.

This topic was modified 10 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

hans-st. and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@csofranz Nice setup. To keep the iGPU activated when booting into Windows, you can try automate-eGPU EFI, apple_set_os.efi, or rEFInd.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
VertigoXRP
(@vertigoxrp)

Thanks for the detailed write up!

While trying to work my way through this exact build (minus the vive stuff) could you elaborate how you managed to install AMD drivers without hooking up the razer x? The installer fails with no hardware detected.

A link to the exact driver version that you managed to install would be helpful.

Mac Mini 2018 i7 32GB DDR4 Razer Core X Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Vega 64 bootcamp win 10 & mojave

ReplyQuote
csofranz
(@csofranz)

Truth be told, it may be that I merely downloaded the drivers but did not install them - my installation was rudely disrupted when the Sonnet 650 failed catastrophically, and I had to wait 6 weeks until I just gave up on it and purchased the Razer (the good news: I got reimbursed, so I didn't lose money on the Sonnet, just a *lot* of time). Since the enclosure itself is (mostly) transparent to Windows, changing that will not require new drivers. When I - after 6 weeks - connected the Razer and picked up the install I perhaps wrongly remembered that I installed the drivers before (not after) connecting the eGPU. 

What does help a lot is the second monitor that you can plug in while leaving the first connected to the mac's hdmi. If the second monitor comes up, you can continue the install on that.

My apologies if I misremembered - but there was a lot of drinking in December 🙂

This post was modified 10 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
VertigoXRP
(@vertigoxrp)

Thanks for the reply, so I managed to install the drivers and the card is recognized but gives a code 12 error (no resources available).. I don't think I missed any of the steps and my setup is literally identical.. any ideas on why it might complain about pci resources?

Mac Mini 2018 i7 32GB DDR4 Razer Core X Sapphire Nitro+ AMD Vega 64 bootcamp win 10 & mojave

ReplyQuote
csofranz
(@csofranz)

I've read that the dreaded 12 error (not enough memory) can come up depending upon the TB port you are connecting the enclosure with. My setup

- uses the port CLOSEST to the HDMI port
- has no other devices connected via TB

Hopefully that helps.

ReplyQuote
(@omar_munoz)

I just purchased a Razer Core X + PowerColor Vega 64 and have hooked them up to my Mac mini, Late 2018, 32 GB RAM, 512 TB SSD, i7 (3.2 GHz). I have no issues when booting into macOS and everything looks to be working great but I keep having issues in Windows 10. I haven't seen any other builds using a LG UltraFine 5K and I was wondering if any of you know any steps to take? No matter what I tried, I kept getting error code 12.

Mac mini, Late 2018, 32 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, i7 (3.2 GHz) + LG UltraFine 5K | Razer Core X + PowerColor Vega 64

ReplyQuote
VertigoXRP
(@vertigoxrp)

A reddit user let me to the solution; the trick here was to completely shutdown windows (instead of restarting). Then removing the HDMI cable from the mini. Then I connected the TB3 cable from the mini to the eGPU and added the HDMI cable in between the eGPU and monitor. Booted the mini (into windows) and done.

One downside sofar is that when I use the bootcamp app in windows to boot in mac os I get a black screen. The only fix is to switch off the eGPU and connect via the mini's HDMI directly again; then hotplug the eGPU when MacOs comes alive. So this means a lot of cable switching bogus every os switch. Perhaps there's a solution to that problem as well ?

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Posted by: Omar Munoz

I just purchased a Razer Core X + PowerColor Vega 64 and have hooked them up to my Mac mini, Late 2018, 32 GB RAM, 512 TB SSD, i7 (3.2 GHz). I have no issues when booting into macOS and everything looks to be working great but I keep having issues in Windows 10. I haven't seen any other builds using a LG UltraFine 5K and I was wondering if any of you know any steps to take? No matter what I tried, I kept getting error code 12.

I had a very similar set up for a day or two before returning the mini as it was just too much hassle with the LG 5k ultrafine. 
I got past error 12 by disabling the Ethernet port and one other which I forget (I copied a guide from itsage) bit I had issues with egpu detection - 90% of the time it just wasn’t detected, let alone error code. 
I believe using rEFInd may help with this problem but I just returned my mini as I didn’t really need it.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
(@omar_munoz)

I’m not sure that this would work, but if I connected the eGPU and Mac mini via HDMI and then Mac mini to LG UltraFine via TB3, would that theoretically work?

Mac mini, Late 2018, 32 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, i7 (3.2 GHz) + LG UltraFine 5K | Razer Core X + PowerColor Vega 64

ReplyQuote
baum2k
(@baum2k)

Hey guys,

you are my last hope! I have the same setup as described here. Mac Mini 2018, i5, 256GB, 8GB RAM. eGPU Razer Core X with Vega64 ROC Strix 8GB.

I tried ALL solutions from this website and reddit, but I can not get the eGPU work in Boot Camp. On Mac it works flawless.

What I tried so far:

1. Install Win 10 1803 on Boot Camp
2. Made all Windows Updates
3. Hotplug the eGPU (most next to the HDMI (like recommended everywhere.), got recognized, installed the latest Adrenalin Drivers
4. Shutdown the Mini completly
5. Switched the HDMI-Cable from my Mac Mini to the Razer Core X
6. Booted up my Mac Mini.........screen stays black. Nothing happens. I think it is in a boot loop because the eGPU lights white sometimes, which normally means its rebooting.
7. DDU all drivers
8. Hotplug the eGPU, installed adrenalin drivers from bootcampdrivers.com (older ones but hey you never know)
9. Did the same like in step 5
10. Same happened like in step 6.
11. DDU again
12. Repeat step 3
13. Boot in Mac OS and made an usb-flashdrive with the „automate-egpu-efi“
14. Plugged in the egpu
15. Shutdown the Mac Mini
16. Boot the mini and hold option
17. HDMI is connected to the Mac Mini, eGPU is conncted via TB3 without outputs
18. Choose EFI-Boot, said no eGPU connected. Read this isn‘t a Problem
19. Choosed „Load Windows“
20. Had a Login screen but, I‘m connected via HDMI on the Mac Mini directly. Logged in...
21. AMD in tray says eGPU Radeon 64 connected
22. No Error 12 (HOOORAY!!!)
23. Unplugged HDMI from the Mini and plugged it into the eGPU
24. Had a picture!!!!!!!!
25. Fired up The Division 2
26. Freeze! IDAZWR(AUR(AR//(QZAHUFA!!!!!!

So this is where I‘m stuck now. I am completly out of ideas. Really I‘m so frustrated right now, I‘m working on troubleshooting 2 days now. And nothing really nothing seems to work that I can get my Vega 64 will run on my Win10 1803 Boot Camp. Btw. I tried all ports, none worked.

I hope you guys have any more ideas.

Greetings
desperated baum2k

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

@baum2k have you tried rEFInd yet? I think @itsage said he had more consistent results when using that (apologies if I've got that wrong, feel free to edit if so!).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
baum2k
(@baum2k)

I tried to install rEFInd but in Mac OS it says, I cannot install rEFInd because SIP is active...but its not. When I say „Do it anyways“, it fails.

But how does it exactly work with rEFInd? It is just a boot loader isn‘t it?

ReplyQuote
gzstranger
(@gzstranger)

Posted by: baum2k

Hey guys,

you are my last hope! I have the same setup as described here. Mac Mini 2018, i5, 256GB, 8GB RAM. eGPU Razer Core X with Vega64 ROC Strix 8GB.

I tried ALL solutions from this website and reddit, but I can not get the eGPU work in Boot Camp. On Mac it works flawless.

What I tried so far:

1. Install Win 10 1803 on Boot Camp
2. Made all Windows Updates
3. Hotplug the eGPU (most next to the HDMI (like recommended everywhere.), got recognized, installed the latest Adrenalin Drivers
4. Shutdown the Mini completly
5. Switched the HDMI-Cable from my Mac Mini to the Razer Core X
6. Booted up my Mac Mini.........screen stays black. Nothing happens. I think it is in a boot loop because the eGPU lights white sometimes, which normally means its rebooting.
7. DDU all drivers
8. Hotplug the eGPU, installed adrenalin drivers from bootcampdrivers.com (older ones but hey you never know)
9. Did the same like in step 5
10. Same happened like in step 6.
11. DDU again
12. Repeat step 3
13. Boot in Mac OS and made an usb-flashdrive with the „automate-egpu-efi“
14. Plugged in the egpu
15. Shutdown the Mac Mini
16. Boot the mini and hold option
17. HDMI is connected to the Mac Mini, eGPU is conncted via TB3 without outputs
18. Choose EFI-Boot, said no eGPU connected. Read this isn‘t a Problem
19. Choosed „Load Windows“
20. Had a Login screen but, I‘m connected via HDMI on the Mac Mini directly. Logged in...
21. AMD in tray says eGPU Radeon 64 connected
22. No Error 12 (HOOORAY!!!)
23. Unplugged HDMI from the Mini and plugged it into the eGPU
24. Had a picture!!!!!!!!
25. Fired up The Division 2
26. Freeze! IDAZWR(AUR(AR//(QZAHUFA!!!!!!

So this is where I‘m stuck now. I am completly out of ideas. Really I‘m so frustrated right now, I‘m working on troubleshooting 2 days now. And nothing really nothing seems to work that I can get my Vega 64 will run on my Win10 1803 Boot Camp. Btw. I tried all ports, none worked.

I hope you guys have any more ideas.

Greetings
desperated baum2k

i have similar setup. What works for me is to use eGPU's DP port to my monitor, TB3 cable connected to my mac mini's left TB3 port. Don't use any other TB ports. Reboot into Bootcamp, the win10 login screen will show up. I can connect other TB3 devices after this. 

But after updated to 10.14.5, this no longer working. I don't know why.

This post was modified 6 months ago

Mac mini 2018 i5
Razer Core X
Sapphire Vega 65 with Alphacooling AIO

ReplyQuote
baum2k
(@baum2k)

Thanks for the suggestion with DP. But with DP I have the exact same issues. With the same steps above.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@baum2k If you have already tried automate-eGPU EFI on the USB drive, I would say to keep using that boot method. This is to allow the Intel iGPU staying activated for functional monitor output during boot and in Windows. Do make sure you have disable Security Boot in Recovery Mode. I’ve encountered plenty strange booting behaviors and issues when it was on [default is on].

I would also recommend running DDU one more time. Besides removing the AMD graphics drivers, you should open OPTIONS in DDU and check the box that disable Windows automatic search and install drivers for devices. Restart as prompted and boot into Windows through automate-eGPU EFI. Hot-plug the AMD eGPU then install the latest Radeon drivers. Don’t switch monitor connection to the RX Vega 64 eGPU until you can confirm it works well through XConnect internal acceleration mode through the Mac mini HDMI port.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
baum2k
(@baum2k)

@itsage yeah but now a new error accurs....now I can not activate my egpu with this way anymore...

I  think I tried to much and to much driver install and uninstall broke my system. Now when I boot via automate-eGPU EFI I get the error that my Thunderbolt-Port isn't correct installed.

In the video of Jeff Benjamin from 9to5 Mac everything looks so easy. He installs Windows 10, installs the driver, reboots his machine and voila it works out of the box. Why is my build so complicated? I have the same one 😀

I think I will reinstall with bootcamp and try again.

ReplyQuote
nlp
 nlp
(@nlp)

I was planning to build a rig like yours, but it seems for some people that Catalina breaks some bootcamp functionality with eGPU.

Have you tried it?

thanks!

ReplyQuote