2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [csofranz]  

of  2
  RSS

baum2k
(@baum2k)

Hey guys,

you are my last hope! I have the same setup as described here. Mac Mini 2018, i5, 256GB, 8GB RAM. eGPU Razer Core X with Vega64 ROC Strix 8GB.

I tried ALL solutions from this website and reddit, but I can not get the eGPU work in Boot Camp. On Mac it works flawless.

What I tried so far:

1. Install Win 10 1803 on Boot Camp
2. Made all Windows Updates
3. Hotplug the eGPU (most next to the HDMI (like recommended everywhere.), got recognized, installed the latest Adrenalin Drivers
4. Shutdown the Mini completly
5. Switched the HDMI-Cable from my Mac Mini to the Razer Core X
6. Booted up my Mac Mini.........screen stays black. Nothing happens. I think it is in a boot loop because the eGPU lights white sometimes, which normally means its rebooting.
7. DDU all drivers
8. Hotplug the eGPU, installed adrenalin drivers from bootcampdrivers.com (older ones but hey you never know)
9. Did the same like in step 5
10. Same happened like in step 6.
11. DDU again
12. Repeat step 3
13. Boot in Mac OS and made an usb-flashdrive with the „automate-egpu-efi“
14. Plugged in the egpu
15. Shutdown the Mac Mini
16. Boot the mini and hold option
17. HDMI is connected to the Mac Mini, eGPU is conncted via TB3 without outputs
18. Choose EFI-Boot, said no eGPU connected. Read this isn‘t a Problem
19. Choosed „Load Windows“
20. Had a Login screen but, I‘m connected via HDMI on the Mac Mini directly. Logged in...
21. AMD in tray says eGPU Radeon 64 connected
22. No Error 12 (HOOORAY!!!)
23. Unplugged HDMI from the Mini and plugged it into the eGPU
24. Had a picture!!!!!!!!
25. Fired up The Division 2
26. Freeze! IDAZWR(AUR(AR//(QZAHUFA!!!!!!

So this is where I‘m stuck now. I am completly out of ideas. Really I‘m so frustrated right now, I‘m working on troubleshooting 2 days now. And nothing really nothing seems to work that I can get my Vega 64 will run on my Win10 1803 Boot Camp. Btw. I tried all ports, none worked.

I hope you guys have any more ideas.

Greetings
desperated baum2k

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

@baum2k have you tried rEFInd yet? I think @itsage said he had more consistent results when using that (apologies if I've got that wrong, feel free to edit if so!).

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
baum2k
(@baum2k)

I tried to install rEFInd but in Mac OS it says, I cannot install rEFInd because SIP is active...but its not. When I say „Do it anyways“, it fails.

But how does it exactly work with rEFInd? It is just a boot loader isn‘t it?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
gzstranger
(@gzstranger)

Posted by: baum2k

Hey guys,

you are my last hope! I have the same setup as described here. Mac Mini 2018, i5, 256GB, 8GB RAM. eGPU Razer Core X with Vega64 ROC Strix 8GB.

I tried ALL solutions from this website and reddit, but I can not get the eGPU work in Boot Camp. On Mac it works flawless.

What I tried so far:

1. Install Win 10 1803 on Boot Camp
2. Made all Windows Updates
3. Hotplug the eGPU (most next to the HDMI (like recommended everywhere.), got recognized, installed the latest Adrenalin Drivers
4. Shutdown the Mini completly
5. Switched the HDMI-Cable from my Mac Mini to the Razer Core X
6. Booted up my Mac Mini.........screen stays black. Nothing happens. I think it is in a boot loop because the eGPU lights white sometimes, which normally means its rebooting.
7. DDU all drivers
8. Hotplug the eGPU, installed adrenalin drivers from bootcampdrivers.com (older ones but hey you never know)
9. Did the same like in step 5
10. Same happened like in step 6.
11. DDU again
12. Repeat step 3
13. Boot in Mac OS and made an usb-flashdrive with the „automate-egpu-efi“
14. Plugged in the egpu
15. Shutdown the Mac Mini
16. Boot the mini and hold option
17. HDMI is connected to the Mac Mini, eGPU is conncted via TB3 without outputs
18. Choose EFI-Boot, said no eGPU connected. Read this isn‘t a Problem
19. Choosed „Load Windows“
20. Had a Login screen but, I‘m connected via HDMI on the Mac Mini directly. Logged in...
21. AMD in tray says eGPU Radeon 64 connected
22. No Error 12 (HOOORAY!!!)
23. Unplugged HDMI from the Mini and plugged it into the eGPU
24. Had a picture!!!!!!!!
25. Fired up The Division 2
26. Freeze! IDAZWR(AUR(AR//(QZAHUFA!!!!!!

So this is where I‘m stuck now. I am completly out of ideas. Really I‘m so frustrated right now, I‘m working on troubleshooting 2 days now. And nothing really nothing seems to work that I can get my Vega 64 will run on my Win10 1803 Boot Camp. Btw. I tried all ports, none worked.

I hope you guys have any more ideas.

Greetings
desperated baum2k

i have similar setup. What works for me is to use eGPU's DP port to my monitor, TB3 cable connected to my mac mini's left TB3 port. Don't use any other TB ports. Reboot into Bootcamp, the win10 login screen will show up. I can connect other TB3 devices after this. 

But after updated to 10.14.5, this no longer working. I don't know why.

This post was modified 2 years ago

Mac mini 2018 i5
Razer Core X
Sapphire Vega 65 with Alphacooling AIO

ReplyQuote
baum2k
(@baum2k)

Thanks for the suggestion with DP. But with DP I have the exact same issues. With the same steps above.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@baum2k If you have already tried automate-eGPU EFI on the USB drive, I would say to keep using that boot method. This is to allow the Intel iGPU staying activated for functional monitor output during boot and in Windows. Do make sure you have disable Security Boot in Recovery Mode. I've encountered plenty strange booting behaviors and issues when it was on [default is on].

I would also recommend running DDU one more time. Besides removing the AMD graphics drivers, you should open OPTIONS in DDU and check the box that disable Windows automatic search and install drivers for devices. Restart as prompted and boot into Windows through automate-eGPU EFI. Hot-plug the AMD eGPU then install the latest Radeon drivers. Don't switch monitor connection to the RX Vega 64 eGPU until you can confirm it works well through XConnect internal acceleration mode through the Mac mini HDMI port.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
baum2k
(@baum2k)

@itsage yeah but now a new error accurs....now I can not activate my egpu with this way anymore...

I  think I tried to much and to much driver install and uninstall broke my system. Now when I boot via automate-eGPU EFI I get the error that my Thunderbolt-Port isn't correct installed.

In the video of Jeff Benjamin from 9to5 Mac everything looks so easy. He installs Windows 10, installs the driver, reboots his machine and voila it works out of the box. Why is my build so complicated? I have the same one 😀

I think I will reinstall with bootcamp and try again.

ReplyQuote
nlp
 nlp
(@nlp)

I was planning to build a rig like yours, but it seems for some people that Catalina breaks some bootcamp functionality with eGPU.

Have you tried it?

thanks!

ReplyQuote
 of  2