2020 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650Ti) [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Ra...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650Ti) [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 20H2  

RSS

Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Reputable Member

I use both Windows machines and Macs for work, and having a portable version of each is extremely useful to me.  The last 3 years I've been enthralled with the idea of one Laptop that can do it all, and I've been installing boot camp, parallels, and running Win and MacOS together.  In addition I decommisioned my gaming desktop and moved it's video card into an enclosure, and used my Macbook Pros as my primary gaming PC.  With the advent of Apple Silicon, all indications were that I would not be able to continue with one Jack-of-all-trades laptop for all my needs, so I went out and bought a Razer blade stealth Late 2020 edition with an 11th gen Tiger Lake CPU and onboard GTX 1650 ti Max-Q.  I have tested it out with both enclosure/cards I own and so far setup was easy but there are a few lingering quirks.

System specs

Razer Blade Stealth Late 2020 with FHD OLED display, core i7-1165G7 CPU, Geforce GTX 1650 ti Max-Q, 16GB LPDDR4x RAM, 512GB Samsung SSD

EGPU(s): Razer Core X Chroma, Razer Core v2

GPU: (in Chroma) RTX 2080 FE

(in Core v2) Radeon VII

Monitor: Samsung CRG9

Installation steps

1.  Hotplugged Core v2/Radeon VII, Card was detected but Error 12 banged, windows requested a reboot.

2.  Reboot 1, Card shows up as VGA Compatible in device manager, but no drivers

3.  Download latest Drivers from amd.com, install them which prompts another reboot

4.  On next reboot Radeon VII active in device manager and external display lit up, everything fully operational.

5.  Hotplugged Core X Chroma/RTX 2080

6.  Windows automatically installed drivers which are fairly old.  RTX comes alive and external display lights up

7.  In Device Manager GTX 1650 ti Max-Q is yellow banged, with I believe error 31 (no drivers)

8.  Downloaded latest nvidia driver for 1650 ti-Max Q, Installed and rebooted

9.  All 4 GPU's (Intel Xe, 1650 ti, RTX 2080, Radeon VII) are active and (mainly) operational

Blade13DevMngr

Benchmarks

Blade13Aida64R7
Blade13Aida64R7RTX
Superposition Benchmark v1.1 18151 1605403778
Superposition Benchmark v1.1 6374 1605473496

Ok here are some 3Dmark scores:

Radeon VII:

TSRVII
FSRVII
TSERVIII

The Fire Strike says 2080 but it was definitely disabled and ran on the Radeon VII

RTX 2080:

TS2080
FS2080
TSE2080

LuxMark 3.1 Results using all 4 gpu's together:

LuxmarkBall
Luxmarkhotel

And some CPU benches also:

Geekbench 5:

https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/4769879

CB20 Blade13
CB23 Blade13

Comments

Attaching both egpu's was more an exercise in intellectual curiosity than practical usage for me since I primarily use the egpu's to game and to have the convenience of a 1 cable solution.  I was struck by how easy it was to get them working,especially the fact it had 0 issues assigning resources for 4 gpu's total,  compared to the general quirkiness of boot camp.  However there have been at least a few quirks:

I get stuttering on the desktop when I close the laptop lid and go into clamshell mode, until I either sign out and sign back in, or disable the Intel Xe graphics.  In this state games run fine but desktop animations are choppy and dragging a window around the screen is not smooth.

I get major hiccups in several benchmarks (3dmark, superposition) where they will run for 10s normally then pause for half a second then continue.  In order to consistently prevent this from happening I had to disable *both* the Iris Xe and GTX 1650 ti in device manager (and have to remember to enable them later).  One unfortunate side effect of this is it makes the internal display run at full brightness, which is probably not good for the long term health of the laptop's OLED display.

As a consequence of disabling the igpu and dgpu in the laptop, 3dmark SystemInfo behaves very unpredictably, sometimes leaving a process behind that chews up ~%20 of cpu usage during the test and skewing the cpu results and the final number.  There is a new systeminfo which states that it fixes issues related to disabled gpu's in the device manager, but with the new version installed I was not getting SystemInfo or Hardware Monitoring info in my results and because of this they aren't "valid" and cannot be shared.  I will run some tests later today and just grab screenshots of the results if the links aren't viewable.

I've had some stability issues using the RTX 2080 by itself (the Radeon VII has been rock solid but is a poorer performer overall in Windows) , Over the course of 3 days I've had 2-3 freezes just on the desktop, and a couple BSOD's (the BSOD's seem to be related to starting 3dmark with the old systeminfo installed).  Using the laptop on its own without the egpu's it has been rock solid stable.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2020 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650Ti) [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

Boltoway, Mini i5, nando4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Lycid
(@lycid)
Eminent Member

Your 3D mark scores are set to private.

Also, would love to see some game benchmarks. We really need more performance stats on TB4 here, would love to see how it compares practically to icelake or H-series Tb3.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Laptop: Razer Blade Advanced 15" w/ GTX 2060, i7 8750H, 16GB RAM
eGPU: Razer Core x Chroma w/ 2080ti

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Reputable Member

@lycid, I posted screenshots of the 3dmark results.  For whatever reason the links don't work if I disable hardware monitoring.

I've tried running DDU and wiping the Intel AMD and NVIDIA drivers, then reinstalled Intel and nvidia drivers and plugged the RTX 2080 back in.  Still encountering random freezes at the desktop just web browsing.  Also the usb controllers on the core x chroma are not working after the blade and core x chroma go to sleep and wake back up, sometimes I can disable and re-enable them to get them working but sometimes this doesn't work and I just need to reboot.

As for games, I've only played Elder Scrolls Online, World of Warcraft, No Man's Sky, and Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice.  ESO runs *noticeably* better on Tiger Lake than the Macbook Pro 16 i9.  This game is notoriously demanding of single threaded cpu performance, and I am seeing at least a 20fps jump in performance pretty much everywhere in game.  It hovers around 90-120 fps in the open world and 50-70 fps in cities or large grps of players.  The other games look to perform very similarly.  Everything runs better than it did on the Asrock Phantom Gaming x570 ITX/TB3.

Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2020 13" Razer Blade Stealth (GTX1650Ti) [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Lycid
(@lycid)
Eminent Member

Awesome to hear!

As far as random freezes, just disable the dGPU in device manager in your laptop when using the eGPU. For whatever reason, windows just doesn't handle 2 eGPU's too well.

That said, on the latest windows update + latest nvidia drivers, this problem seems to have disappeared for me, at least from what I could tell last night when I did it.

Laptop: Razer Blade Advanced 15" w/ GTX 2060, i7 8750H, 16GB RAM
eGPU: Razer Core x Chroma w/ 2080ti

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Reputable Member

Quick update, I ran the stealth for 2 days straight on my desk with sleep disabled and with both the igpu and dgpu *enabled* and had no freezes.  I signed out and back in to resolve the desktop stuttering, and didn't run any benches which were exhibiting hitching but did do some gaming which seemed not to be affected.  It seems the lockups occur shortly after either coldbooting with the rtx 2080/core x attached, or shortly after hot plugging (about 5-10 min).  Most of these times I was disabling either or both of the onboard gpu's so I am trying not to do so to see how this affects stability.  One other thing is coldboot always works but I've had error 31 a couple of times after hotplug, which requires a coldboot with the 2080 attached to resolve.

Update to update:  Had system freeze about 5 min after I posted this, with all gpu's enabled.  Was about 15-20 min after coldboot with egpu attached.  

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote