2015 15" Lenovo Ideapad 320-14IKB [7th,2C,U] + GTX 960 @ 8Gbps-M.2 (EXP GDC 8.5c...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" Lenovo IdeaPad 320-14IKB [7th,2C,U] + GTX 960 @ 8Gbps-M.2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [Naim RL]  

RSS

Naim RL
(@naim-rl)

System specs
Laptop: Lenovo ideapad 320-14IKB 14,1"
RAM: 8gb 2133mhz dual channel
CPU: i3-7200U up to 3.1Ghz
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 620
dGPU: Nome

eGPU hardware
EXP GDC 8.5c via M.2 slot (Wi-Fi/bluetooth)
Gigabyte Windforce GTX 960 2gb
An old generic power supply ATX with 250W

Why I did this
first out of curiosity, I love doing what here in Brazil is called "gambiarra", "DIY" for you.
second, I wanted to play world of tanks with maximum settings.
finally, to make my work with 3d more fluid and quick.

Installation
1) Disable PXE boot to lan in the bios
2) cut all the useless wires from the power supply to make the project cleaner and made my own 6-pin cables
3) simply plugged the ngff cable into the wifi port
4) made a small cut on the laptop cover to run the cable and closed
5) connected all the power cables and the data cable
6) finally, I turned on the laptop and installed the Nvidia drives and everything is ready

Results
I got better performance than I expected and can now run heavier 3D programs and play almost all current
games, games like tomb raider 2013, World of Tanks, GTA V, LOL run with maximum graphics settings.
I'm using the maximum that the ngff port can deliver, 8Gbps (pcie 1x 3.0), this gives me a great result with the
GTX 960, more powerful cards would have difficulties with this communication limitation.
I also obtained a reduction in the rendering time in my work in blender, besides being able to build bigger and
more complex scenes.
I had only one problem, whenever someone uses the electric stove igniter it causes interference that makes the
plate blink, I think a better power supply or a stabilizer to resolve.

Conclusion
this gambiarra was a great option to update me graphically, in addition to being much cheaper than a new pc,
also and more practical because I have the ease of plug and play, and I can carry a complete and powerful “PC"
in a simple backpack Smile
thanks for the support of the eGPU.io forum and channels on YouTube with the huge amount of information on
the subject, I hope my post helps others.

This topic was modified 7 months ago
2015 15" Lenovo IdeaPad 320-14IKB [7th,2C,U] + GTX 960 @ 8Gbps-M.2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [build link]  

mr.ribeiro, Le Santos, 3RYL and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Thank you for your submission. Our readers love to see pictures in builds so if you can include those and some links to benchmarks like 3dmark, it would be appreciated.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote