2017 15" Lenovo ThinkPad E570 (GTX950M) [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Li...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 15" Lenovo ThinkPad E570 (GTX950M) [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [golden_alchemist]  

RSS

golden_alchemist
(@golden_alchemist)

System specs 

• Model: Lenovo Thinkpad E570 20H6S00000
  • Screen: 15.6" 1920 x 1080 IPS
  • CPU: Intel i5-7200U @ 2.7GHz (2 Cores, 4 Threads)
  • iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 620
  • dGPU: Nvidia GTX 950M (2GB GDDR5 ver.)
  • Main storage: 240GB Kingston A400 (Windows 10)
  • Secondary storage: 250GB Crucial MX500 (Pop OS)
  • eGPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB

eGPU hardware 

• eGPU enclosure: ADT-Link R43SG (ADT-Link R3G)
  • Graphics card: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
  • PSU: HP PC6015 365W (generic ATX PSU from a hp dc7900)
  • Dell DA-2 Y2515 Revision A01

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps

Before any installation, make sure to unplug your power cord and remove the laptop battery. After installing everything, you can plug them back in.

Plug in all the cables and install GPU:

1. 24-pin ATX cable
  2. 4-Pin CPU-power cable
  3. 8-pin GPU-power cable
  4. Install GPU by pressing it into the PCIe Slot, screw down the holders and plug in the GPU power cables

Remove service hatch (bottom cover) and m.2 NVMe SSD

Plug in the m.2 cable from the R43SG adapter

The whole system now looks like this with all cables in place (old setup with ATX PSU):

Plug in power cord and battery and start the system

Install drivers through device manager -> graphics cards -> Radeon RX580 Series -> drivers -> update driver

Install Radeon Software using the standard installer

Done! This system works pretty much plug and play!

Benchmarks 

All benchmarks are performed with an external monitor plugged into the GPU, and the lid closed.

Picture: AIDA64 GPGPU Benchmark                               Picture: GPU-Z info

Picture: Passmark 3D Graphics Mark With a score of 6943, I'm getting about 79% of the average benchmark of this GPU (8769)

Picture: Unigine Superposition Benchmark (1080p Medium)

Userbenchmark The GPU performs exactly as expected, despite being used as an eGPU. (GPU score: 56.6%, average for this specific card: 56 ±3%)

Comments 

I use my laptop with the lid closed, and with an external monitor to force the laptop to use the external GPU. When the lid was open, and I would start benchmarks, it would try to run them on the laptop's dGPU.

This is just the current state - which I created to see if it works and play some games. I do have several upgrades in mind for the near future:

• Buy another bottom cover for my E570, from AliExpress for example, and cut a hole in it for the m.2 cable so my components aren't exposed
  • Buy the Dell DA-2 power supply for its dedicated port on the R43SG, as my tests revealed the GPU doesn't really draw more than 150W, so the DA-2's 220W should be enough. It would be a lot better considering it doesn't have an annoying fan like this PSU, and the single 8-pin cable is much more handy than having to plug in the sturdy 24-Pin and 4-Pin from this old PSU.
  • Possibly make a custom "full" enclosure, to protect the graphics card and make it a bit more portable (maybe a bit more silent) - it would be an extruded aluminium case (from ebay, for example) where I'd add 4 holes for the feet to screw on to, the backside would be open, it would have holes for ventilation and a single hole on the back for the Dell DA-2 PSU.

I've gained a lot of information from this forum, and I managed to build my own eGPU setup. As there's only one other Lenovo E-(Edge)series laptop on here, I thought it might be helpful for others who have one of this product line too.

While my laptop is more uncommon than common, my graphics card is very common. The R43SG was the enclosure/adapter of my choice because, contrary to the EXP GDC Beast, it uses (if I understand correctly) the 12V lines from the 24-pin, as well as from the CPU-Power 4-pin from ATX power supplies, and reroutes them to two 6-/8-Pin cables, which you can plug into the graphics card. That way you can use old PSUs which are powerful enough, but don't have enough 6-/8-pin cables, which is the case for mine (only one 6-Pin cable, but the RX580 requires one 8-pin and one 6-pin). Also, it features a dedicated 8-pin port for a 220W Dell power brick (Dell DA-2 220W) which allows for an even smaller overall form factor and one less fan running.

I hope this post can help. I'll keep it updated with all new benchmarks and pictures/mods I make. Let me know if anything is wrong or if you have any questions or want other benchmarks 

Update April 7th, 2021:

After one noisy Dell DA-2 I have received a replacement unit, which operates silently. Now the setup is even more quiet and takes up less space, since the PSU can just rest on the ground.

This topic was modified 4 days ago
2017 15" Lenovo ThinkPad E570 (GTX950M) [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

mr.ribeiro and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Trusted Member

@golden_alchemist, Cool your setup. Thanks for your build.

2016 15" ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SL * M.2-TB3) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote