Setup & Software Discussions
2018 15" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (GTX1050Ti) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-T...

2018 15" Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme (GTX1050Ti) [8th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [prasys]  

RSS

prasys
(@prasys)

System specs

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme - Intel Core i7 8750H , 16GB of RAM , 512GB SSD + 128GB SSD + Intel UHD 630 & NVIDIA GeForce 10850 Ti Max-Q + Windows 10

eGPU hardware

AORUS RTX 2070 Gaming Box

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps

1. Be sure to update all the frimware via Lenovo Vantage-  this includes the BIOS & TB3 Frimware
2. Go to BIOS and disable Thunderbolt security - else it gets all cranky 
3. Uninstall drivers using DDU. It's important that you do not let the computer to use the stock Lenovo drivers , otherwise you'll have a lot of issues when unplugging or swapping the graphics. 
4. Download Latest NVIDIA Driver (Pick the Mobile version) and have it installed 
5. Reboot!

Benchmarks 

I did a test with Tomb Raider (I have the images ready - will get it uploaded later on along with Cuda-Z bandwidth pic) 

All of these were tested with 1080p with High Preset 

GeForce GTX 1050Ti - 29fps
GeForce GTX 2070 (Internal Display) - 63fps
GeForce GTX 2070 (External Display) - 72fps

Superposition Benchmark v1.1 1314 1557590064
Superposition Benchmark v1.1 5037 1557588692
Superposition Benchmark v1.1 3702 1557590392
Superposition Benchmark v1.1 10792 1557589229
Superposition Benchmark v1.1 2731 1557589823

cudaz

Comments 
Well it works , but you wouldn't be expecting a 100fps on a lot of games even tho the GTX 2070 is capable of pumping + 8750H is capable of doing it. However TB3 bandwidth truly limits the potential , but the good news is you can easily get 60fps in most games anyway  (by tuning some of the settings down)

The laptop can be powered on charged (a bit slowly) with the 100W delivery over TB3 , however when the CPU starts to go up , it would BSOD (i suspect that there isn't enough juice or something else). I had to plug the Lenovo Issued 135W charger. 

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Nice build! We found a performance culprit with many Intel 8th gen H CPU laptops. The Thunderbolt 3 connection is routed through the PCH chip which doesn’t have any cooling at all. Here are some examples of similar configurations [ASUS ZenBook Pro, Dell XPS 9570]. Your Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme‘s Thunderbolt 3 is routed the same way unfortunately.

This post was modified 4 months ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
prasys
(@prasys)

Posted by: itsage

Nice build! We found a performance culprit with many Intel 8th gen H CPU laptops. The Thunderbolt 3 connection is routed through the PCH chip which doesn't have any cooling at all. Here are some examples of similar configurations [ASUS ZenBook Pro, Dell XPS 9570]. Your Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Extreme's Thunderbolt 3 is routed the same way unfortunately.

Yep - that's what I plan to do. I would need to cool the PCH , probably to cool it later on. Will let you know the results later . I will also attach my benchmark performance so that you can get a comparison on how well the graphics card performs compared to iGPU , 1050Ti

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@leon_woodward)

Very interesting! I'm looking at having a similar build, but I really want to have it plug & play. When you uninstall then reinstall the dGPU drivers, does this then mean that if you're out & about you can no longer use the 1050ti?

Laptop: Lenovo X1 Extreme Gen1 w/ i7-8750H GTX 1050 Max-Q dGPU
eGPU Enclosure: Razer Core X Chroma
eGPU: GTX 960
Cable: Caldigit 2m TB3 Active Cable

ReplyQuote
prasys
(@prasys)

Posted by: Leon Woodward

Very interesting! I'm looking at having a similar build, but I really want to have it plug & play. When you uninstall then reinstall the dGPU drivers, does this then mean that if you're out & about you can no longer use the 1050ti?

I can still use the 1050Ti. In fact in NVIDIA Control Panel , it gets assigned as a dedicated GPU. In games such as WoW , I can even use the GTX 1050Ti to render and use the RTX2070 to output it instead 🙂

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@prasys Can you run HWiNFO64 and take a screen capture of your PCI Express Root Ports? Best to have to the eGPU connected and expanded.

ReplyQuote
prasys
(@prasys)

Posted by: itsage

@prasys Can you run HWiNFO64 and take a screen capture of your PCI Express Root Ports? Best to have to the eGPU connected and expanded.

Done. I've even uploaded CUDA-Z screenshot (since I can finally upload attachments)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Thank you! I did not know the X1 Extreme has Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3 controller. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@goran_milovanovic)

Great job!
Can I also connect my TB3 Docking station to the second port?
My setup is Aorus 2070 rtx Gaming box TB3 Thinkpad Dockingstation and X1 Extreme with 1050 ti.
Also is there a way to select which port will charge my computer. For example I have 135w charger, also 135w charger on my docking station but going through TB3 and not dedicated charging port and 100w on Aorus?  I would like that he always charges from the power connector.

ReplyQuote
JnrJedi
(@jnrjedi)

Can you tell me what hot swap capabilities you are getting?

Can you plug the gpu in after boot and it will change from 1050ti to egpu? What happens if you unplug it?

Or do you have to boot with egpu plugged in?

Thanks

ReplyQuote