2014 15" Lenovo Y50-70 (GTX860M) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.5) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2014 15" Lenovo Y50-70 (GTX860M) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.5) + Win10  

RSS

(@iordache_cosmin)

eGPU hardware

EXP GDC 8.5c

M.2 A+E key cable

* be quiet! System Power 9 power supply, Black 500W

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps

You need : unlocked bios from bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-REQUEST-Lenovo-Y50-70-9ECNxxWW-BIOS-Unlock 

Unlocked bios is used because you need access to the advanced menu in order to enable hot plugging of the port and you can also set the speed of the port directly from the PCI Express menu, you choose the internal graphics for start-up.  Check screens. Not shown in screens - disabling the PXE Network boot. I don't know if it does something or not .  

You need: https://egpu.io/egpu-setup-13x/ You will use this to do PCI compaction ( whatever that means )  .

Main debugging thread : https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/  

After getting everything and having everything installed ( the bios and the egpu )  - I physically connectted everything together. 

First problem - blank screen. Debugged with main thread - reached point 5. i) eGPU dectection: mPCIe/M2 eGPU doesn't get detected - point 2  - this led me to get the unlocked bios 

Second problem - again - this shows if I hot plug after the bios has loaded. -  error 12 in windows. From main debugging thread  -1. eGPU is detected but has error 12 - I used the Microsoft way to create the dsdt. 

Third problem - I still had error 12 : from https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/ - i had to : Force allocate the eGPU into 36-bit PCI space. 

Fourth problem - error 43 - from the main debugging thread 2. i) error 43

I used Nando setup to set the speed to 5G for the port 2 ( where my egpu is used ) , you can do the same directly from the BIOS. 

I had some stuttering in games - I disabled the m860 internal dedicated gpu from the windows device manager. You can do the same from nando setup or directly from the BIOS when choosing not to use switchable graphics. I also removed the sound going through hdmi and used the notebook sound directly. 

Feel free to ask if any questions.  

Comments 

Is the width of the port from x1 to x16 automatically set ?  I see in hardware info that it's at x1 but capable of x16.  

When I drop in apex - i have 18-20 fps from up high - but then, when on the ground I  have a constant 70-80 . I have a ultra-wide screen with 2560 × 1080. Everything is put to low. I was expecting a bit better - I don't know where the bottleneck is . In my 860M - when dropping I had 40fps with the same settings.

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago
2014 15" Lenovo Y50-70 (GTX860M) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.5) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
(@jan_587)

@iordache_cosmin, i have the same laptop with GDC haven't problems right now. And that without the egpu tool. But my actually Graphics Card is very old GTX560. The better Card is on the way to me :D. I hope after install the new one, all works fine. I have round about 200fps in cs go on an 120hz monitor with the GTX560. Before it was so slow. And the clue is, the GTX560 is bader then the 860m in the laptop 😀 and perform better. I think lenovo have made a very bad implimantaion of the 860m. 

And dual Monitor before was so ugly and bugy. Now i can easly plug 3 Monitors + the Laptop monitor with no Problems. facepalm of the dead 😀

But thank you for the thread. Its cool to see, that other one have actually done a egpu in the y50-70

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@iordache_cosmin)

Hey Jan , I thought I was the only one before creating this post. Smile

I am looking for an upgrade ( already I know )  . The 1060 should behave a lot better and I think it's because of the bandwidth.  According to the print screen the bandwidth is increased with a different version of the beast exp gdc

Can somebody confirm this ?  

2014 15" Lenovo Y50-70 (GTX860M) [4th,4C,Q] + GTX 1060 @ 4Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.5) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@jan_587)

@iordache_cosmin, i think the port is limited, We need a M.2 port with 40gbs:  ADT-Link R43SG

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@jan_587)

@iordache_cosmin, UPDATE from my side. DO NOT TURN IN BIOS THE INTERNAL GRAPHIC CARD ON AUTO! DO NOT TURN THE INTERNAL GRAPHIC CARD OFF! I bricked my BIOS completly. The Display is Blank / Black.

Bios reset without Batterie or CMOS Batterie do not solved the Problem. The only Issue that can work ist to remove the BIOS Chip and replace it with a new one. The Chip cost round about 8 - 10$. 

Here a small Tutorial Grin

That is the Bios CHIP is a 8 PIN MOSFET and relativly easy to replace. 

IMG 20200517 225512 min

Its placed here

s l500

Notice the Model Number of Motherboard and search on Ebay or whatever for a Bios Chip, its easy to find.

What you need:

- You need a new BIOS Chip

- Soldering iron with a narrow tip

- Hot air dryer to remove the MOSFET

- 0.1mm Solder

- And a magnifying glass´is nice to have

Put the motherboard out of the Case and than you can headed up the MOSFET. Use a tweezers to remove it when it headed up and the solder is melted. 

Then Clean it and very important is that you place the new MOSFET right. You have a little Hole on the CHIP, thats the Zero PIN, notice this. You can see the hole on the picture one.

Then make a little bit melt on the pins and connect all with the Soldering Pen. 

That is how looks the air dryer

IMG 5159

i hope people with the same Problem see this Reply/Post. Its very frustrated Roll

This post was modified 1 week ago

ReplyQuote