2014 13" Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro [4th,2C,U] + HD 6870 @ 4Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10

Notifications
Clear all

2014 13" Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro [4th,2C,U] + HD 6870 @ 4Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10  

RSS

justneedsomethoughts
(@justneedsomethoughts)

System specs (model inc screen size, Intel i7-4510u, Intel HD Graphics, Windows 10)

eGPU hardware (EXP GDC Beast, AMD HD 6870, using mPCIe to M.2 Adapter)

Hardware pictures

Update - NEW BOOTUP METHOD:

I recently discovered the BIOS boot method which works for me when restarting my computer. Thanks to masriza [see build]

• Set ATX power on and have dock and PSU off
  • Boot into BIOS menu without Dock plugged into laptop
  • Set Boot Mode to Legacy Support
  • Turn PSU and Dock on, connect HDMI/Video Output from GPU to monitor and plug dock into laptop
  • Continue Startup from BIOS menu and the laptop boots up on the second monitor

This method is infinitely easier than my original sleep method but I don't know if it works with installing drivers so I'll leave the old method up.

SETTING UP + OLD METHOD OF BOOTING COMPUTER

Installation steps

Getting the Microsoft Display Adapter Recognised
This was the biggest initial issue and admittedly through random plugging and unplugging I was able to get the Microsoft Display Adapter to show up in the Device manager. I believe this is what worked.

• Set the Dock to ATX power on and I have the Delay Switch on the far left.
  • I booted up my computer as normal without the dock connected and then installed the AMD Catalyst and Crimson software for the card. You have to Catalyst first.
  • Then put the computer to sleep, plug the dock hdmi cable in and wake the computer up. It was usually a good sign when the fan would pulse and my computer started from the lenovo screen
  • While the computer is awake, unplug the hdmi cable from the dock and unplug the power, wait a second and plug it back in. Then open device manager and hit scan for new hardware. The 'Scanning Plug and Play...' dialogue should show up and sit there for a bit and eventually 'Microsoft Display adapter should show up with error 31.

Getting the GPU Recognised
This part was actually easy. I just used the device manager to update the driver automatically and then it will install and switch from 'Microsoft Display Adapter' to 'AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series'

Getting the GPU to Work
After getting my GPU recognised plugging in a monitor, at best, did nothing, and at worst, crashed the computer. So I had to install the drivers again with AMD Catalyst and Crimson.

• This time the Catalyst install will detect your hardware and go on to install the appropriate drivers and software. Next run Crimson and it will give you a longer list of items to install including the audio driver and display driver. Afterwards it will request to restart. My computer screen comes up blank when I restart with the dock plugged in so I declined to restart, unplugged the dock then restarted.
  • After restarting, I follow the same method for getting the GPU recognised. Once it's recognised it will turn off your internal display and at this point you just need to plug in the monitor and voila.

Important Notes

• Restarting with the dock/GPU plugged in always had my computer booting up with a black screen even though I could get my keyboard backlight. This is why I use the sleep method. I have a theory about turning off the ATX power after all the setup is done so the GPU only starts when it gets a signal from the computer. Will maybe test later.
  • For me, having the external monitor plugged in at any point before the GPU turns of my internal display has caused my computer to freeze up. Might be different for you.
  • The lenovo yoga 2 pro has the SSD plugged into the mPCI and the wifi card in the M.2 slot. I may test putting the eGPU in the mPCIe slot and using the hard drive externally just to see if it works. However I remember reading that the SSD slot is usually SATA only but didn't find that specifically for this laptop.

This took about a week of fiddling to figure out and I'm happy to help anyone who has questions but note this is my first eGPU setup. I only know so much

Comments: Testing other games but I tried Rocket League on High Settings and I actually was able to play the game

2014 13" Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro [4th,2C,U] + HD 6870 @ 4Gbps-M2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote