late-2017 13" Lenovo Yoga 720 i5-8250u + [email protected](AKITiO Node) + Win10 [econhero]^  

RSS

econhero
(@econhero)
Eminent Member
November 13, 2017 2:41 pm  

Dear Members,

I purchased a Yoga 720 with an 8th gen i5 processor yesterday from a well-known electronics store. It was very reasonably priced considering the hardware crammed into it. It has an NVMe Samsung SSD, two TB3 ports and 4 core CPU. Does that sound too good to be true? Well, yes and no. Pairing it up with the Node was easy, it is actually "eGPU Ready" according to the thunderbolt software. However, tb3 connections are both limited to 2 lanes of PCIe, which was my biggest disappointment apart from the loud fans when the laptop is plugged in. The following screenshot is taken from Yoga 720:

And this one was from my XPS 13 9360:

Therefore, we get almost identical Heaven scores for both laptops (this one is from Yoga 720, but XPS 13 was very similar):

I think paying a little more for an HP Spectre X360 (which was reported to have 4x PCIe for tb3) with 8th gen CPU might be the sensible thing to do.

Cheers,

NC

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 13, 2017 2:48 pm  

It is too bad about the Yoga 720. Both 13" and 15" models are effected. Are you in the US? If so, you can get the Spectre X360 for a nice deal during Black Friday at Best Buy.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
econhero
(@econhero)
Eminent Member
November 13, 2017 2:54 pm  

Exactly my thoughts. The funny thing is that Yoga 720 13.3 is not afflicted with GT2 mode. Reviewers report above 2000 Mb/s read speeds for SSD. If only it had 4x PCIe...I saw that black Friday deal, but I have concerns for HP build quality, especially the flimsy hinge. All the display models I checked in store had uneven and loose hinges. Honestly, I might stick to my XPS 13 for another year and spend my money on a better GPU instead. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
4chip4
(@4chip4)
Estimable Member
November 13, 2017 3:12 pm  
Posted by: econhero

Exactly my thoughts. The funny thing is that Yoga 720 13.3 is not afflicted with GT2 mode. Reviewers report above 2000 Mb/s read speeds for SSD. If only it had 4x PCIe...I saw that black Friday deal, but I have concerns for HP build quality, especially the flimsy hinge. All the display models I checked in store had uneven and loose hinges. Honestly, I might stick to my XPS 13 for another year and spend my money on a better GPU instead. 

I'm using Spectre x360s for quite some time now and didn't have any issues with the hinges, so make sure the units you see are simply not worn down by "public exposure" 😉 or one of the entry models (you can't compare a Pavilion x360 or even an Elitebook x360 with a Spectre). The only niggle I have with the Spectre hinges is specifically related to the 15" model - because of the sheer weight/size of the screen, it is just a tad more wobbly/softer if you use touch extensively than I'd like it to be, which might be a problem for some users. The 13" is better in that regard. Bottom line - you should be able to send it back if you don't like it.

2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + [email protected] (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 [no guide] HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.

ReplyQuote