Setup & Software Discussions
2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + W...

2018 17" LG Gram 17 [8th,4C,U] + RTX [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [odin]  

RSS

odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member

System specs: 
LG Gram 17 (2560 x 1600 17" 16:10 panel)
i7-8565U
Intel 620 HD
Win 10 Pro 1809

eGPU hardware:
Sonnet Breakaway Box 550W
ASUS Republic of Gamers Strix GeForce RTX 2070 OC Edition
Xcellon Thunderbolt 3 Cable (6.6', 40 Gb/s, Active)

Hardware pictures:
Sorry, no pics. I may add some at a later time.
Honestly it's not very exciting, you can find pictures of both the laptop and Sonnet 550 easily. Nothing is modded.

Installation steps:
Installation was a breeze.
1. Install the card into the Breakaway Box 550
2. Connect the TB3 cable to the only TB3 port on the LG Gram 17
3. Tell the system to always connect the eGPU
4. It installed some drivers automatically.
5. Go download the latest nVidia Hotfix driver release, installed fine.
6. Install the Asus GPU Tweak tool, ok cool whatever I don't need this gonna run it stock. It's already OC OOTB.
7. Install the Asus LED manager, turn the stupid LEDs off on the card.
6. Play games and stuff

Benchmarks:
All benchmarks are on the LG Gram 17's internal display, I do not have an external monitor.

AIDA64 GPGPU Benchmark
CUDA Z
firestrike
firestrike ultra
valley
superposition 4k optimized

Comments:

I loaded up and played only a few games so far but they all ran super smooth at native res (2560 x 1600). Civilization VI with all details cranked up, Magic: Arena on Extreme Graphics settings, and Metro: Last Light with a bunch of settings cranked up to max. Granted the first two games there are not super intense, I was pretty impressed with how smooth Metro was though.

One thing I will say, this setup is QUIET. It's sitting a few feet away and I can't hear it at all when under load from the benchmarks or gaming. I can sort of hear the fan on the LG Gram 17, but the eGPU is pretty much silent.

I'm super happy with it. Seems quiet, rock stable, and everything I've tried seems to be running well. It seems like the higher in resolution I go, the less the loss of framerate from the internal display is due to more load on the GPU. I think I'm going to be pretty happy running everything at 2560x1600 on the internal display. I basically sit in a recliner with it on my lap, with the eGPU sitting over next to an end table on the floor. I love that I can just unhook it and have a 3lb 17" laptop to use for random productive work. The setup suits me perfectly. I won't bother running any more benchmarks unless someone asks for something. Honestly I could care less what those scores are as long as my games seem to be running smoothly.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 1903 + Manjaro Deepin Dual Boot
Build Link

hornedfrog and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member

One thing I will add is the LG Gram 17 does throttle a bit on the CPU side. Going to maybe mod the heat management to see if I can sustain some higher boost clocks. The heat pipe + heat sink are rather meager on this unit.

It's good enough to play games but it would be nice if it was a tad faster.

LG Gram 17 | Sonnet Breakaway Box 550 | Asus Strix RTX 2070 OC Edition | Win 10 Pro 1903 + Manjaro Deepin Dual Boot
Build Link

ReplyQuote
cgltower
(@cgltower)

That setup sounds ideal. Trying to buy best setup from Australia, but LG not for sale here. Would like to import. Probably get Nvidia 1660 Ti card. Unsure what eGPU box yet, Razor, Atikio, or this Sonnet one. I would like to try this setup with Ubuntu 19.04 but that is a secondary objective to Windows 10.

What is refresh Hz is the LG Gram 17 in built monitor?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member

Posted by: cgltower

That setup sounds ideal. Trying to buy best setup from Australia, but LG not for sale here. Would like to import. Probably get Nvidia 1660 Ti card. Unsure what eGPU box yet, Razor, Atikio, or this Sonnet one. I would like to try this setup with Ubuntu 19.04 but that is a secondary objective to Windows 10.

I have tried a few different Linux distros on the Gram 17. I was having some ACPI issues with a few distros, but Fedora 30 and Deepin both worked fine. I did have Ubuntu, Mint, and Manjaro working at times but the scaling issues and ACPI issues kept me moving to other distros.  I've tried a lot of them. Currently using the latest Deepin. There's some things I don't quite like about it, but their DE is really good. I might configure the Deepin DE in a different distro in the future. It's possible more distros are working successfully at this point from updates to drivers and the kernel itself. You do need to use scaling as native resolution is a bit too small. Deepin DE seems to have the best scaling by far. The new experimental fractional scaling in GNOME 3.32 works ok but you can definitely see bad interpolation where Deepin DE everything looks nice and crisp (specifically Chrome and Firefox look so much better in Deepin at 125% scaling).

The panel is 60Hz. I have not yet tried to use the eGPU with Linux, I don't really have a desire to at the moment it works so stably in Win 10. I can pretty much unplug and plug it in at will at any time and it just works. Very happy with it.

This post was modified 3 months ago

Build Link

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member

Daniel did some good work analyzing this issue for the Gram 17 over here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/new-lg-gram-17.827017/page-21#post-10909980

Basically: pci=nommconf kernel parameter fixes the ACPI issue, apparently it seems LG may have an incorrect config in their BIOS MCFG. Either that or something Linux doesn't yet support properly as it seems Windows is fine. I can boot randomly as well, so it might just be a race condition with a driver vs ACPI config. It would take me too long to dig into this to learn exactly what I'm doing here so I haven't done it.

Build Link

ReplyQuote
cgltower
(@cgltower)

Thanks

Another question - I am guessing this laptop's screen is not G-SYNC / FreeSync compatible?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member

Thanks

Another question - I am guessing this laptop's screen is not G-SYNC / FreeSync compatible?

I don't think either of those adaptive sync technologies would function using the internal display in an eGPU scenario if the laptop only has an iGPU or optimus (i.e. didn't support adaptive sync technologies in the first place). I am not sure how a gsync enabled laptop would fare, I have a feeling it wouldn't work though. Most likely you'd have to use an external adaptive sync compatible monitor connected directly to the eGPU.

If you care about gsync/freesync on the laptop's internal display I would buy a laptop that already has a dGPU and is advertised to support it. I owned a notebook with a 7700K + 1080 that supported gsync before this setup and honestly I don't really notice a difference aside from the other setup was just faster in some scenarios. Maybe if I did a side-by-side playing things at the same time i'd notice something. It doesn't seem to have detracted from my enjoyment of any games. 🙂

This post was modified 2 months ago

Build Link

ReplyQuote
general_winter
(@general_winter)

Posted by: odin

One thing I will add is the LG Gram 17 does throttle a bit on the CPU side. Going to maybe mod the heat management to see if I can sustain some higher boost clocks. The heat pipe + heat sink are rather meager on this unit.

out of curiosity did you do a heat mod? i haven't seen anyone else do one yet, i do have a cooling pad but im not sure how much that would help the lg gram considering it doesn't have the intake vents on the bottom like my current laptop does

im currently looking at this laptop for a lot of the pro's you probably already know, but if i can improve the cooling when stationary (like gaming with an egpu) and put in a nvme ssd then that would cover the biggest weakness of this laptop as far as im aware

considering a LG gram 17 along with a r9 390

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member

Posted by: general_winter

out of curiosity did you do a heat mod? i haven't seen anyone else do one yet, i do have a cooling pad but im not sure how much that would help the lg gram considering it doesn't have the intake vents on the bottom like my current laptop does

im currently looking at this laptop for a lot of the pro's you probably already know, but if i can improve the cooling when stationary (like gaming with an egpu) and put in a nvme ssd then that would cover the biggest weakness of this laptop as far as im aware

I did not, but you can find a ton of information from someone that did in this thread:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/new-lg-gram-17.827017/

Near the end of the thread is pretty much the finality of the heatpipe/heatsink mods this person did. They ended up using two fans and a longer heat pipe and longer heat sink. The whole thread is good reading though if you want to catch up on all the stuff we've been doing.

It's performing pretty well even without any mods in the gaming I've done so far, so I haven't done anything yet besides re-apply a higher quality TIM, that didn't change much for me.

It accepts NVMe, the primary slot is 4x, but the secondary slot is only 2x. I believe it's silk screened right on the PCB. I am probably going to buy two 500GB WD Blue SN500's at some point as they are a very good value as they are only 2x PCIe. Way better than SATA at pretty much SATA prices. I haven't been unhappy with the two SATA drives I'm currently using though. Honestly not sure i'd notice the difference in day-to-day usage.

Yeah, the cooling pad would basically do nothing unless you were willing to do a mod where you add thermal pads and a graphite sheet to the chassis to use the chassis as a heat sink, you'd DEFINITELY need a cooling pad for that as the bottom chassis gets super hot if you do that. It is a magnesium alloy so it does conduct, even though it tends to seem plastic-like in it's feel and weight. It's actually pretty durable.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Build Link

ReplyQuote
general_winter
(@general_winter)

I did not, but you can find a ton of information from someone that did in this thread:

Near the end of the thread is pretty much the finality of the heatpipe/heatsink mods this person did. They ended up using two fans and a longer heat pipe and longer heat sink. The whole thread is good reading though if you want to catch up on all the stuff we've been doing.

It's performing pretty well even without any mods in the gaming I've done so far, so I haven't done anything yet besides re-apply a higher quality TIM, that didn't change much for me.

It accepts NVMe, the primary slot is 4x, but the secondary slot is only 2x. I believe it's silk screened right on the PCB. I am probably going to buy two 500GB WD Blue SN500's at some point as they are a very good value as they are only 2x PCIe. Way better than SATA at pretty much SATA prices. I haven't been unhappy with the two SATA drives I'm currently using though. Honestly not sure i'd notice the difference in day-to-day usage.

Yeah, the cooling pad would basically do nothing unless you were willing to do a mod where you add thermal pads and a graphite sheet to the chassis to use the chassis as a heat sink, you'd DEFINITELY need a cooling pad for that as the bottom chassis gets super hot if you do that. It is a magnesium alloy so it does conduct, even though it tends to seem plastic-like in it's feel and weight. It's actually pretty durable.

yeah, that mod seems out of my comfort zone since it has a lot of custom work and is probably overkill for my needs (i also question how that would affect durability, didn't look too even from what i saw)

i was wondering how well the cooling could handle a cpu intensive game like monster hunter world, i wouldn't mind turning down the graphics as long as i can run at native resolution (rn i have a spare r9 390 that i had for a while, so im most likely going to pair that with my egpu ); not sure which settings affect the cpu more than the gpu that i could dial down outside fps, but ideally i want to just have smooth 60 fps above all else on the internal display (which looks really nice, i saw a lg gram 17 in person at costco, im honestly impressed, im so used to 17in laptops being too heavy and it has the excellent screen and other perks you probably know of already)

also that SSD does seem like a really good upgrade from sata, i could probably afford it since at costco the lg gram is $1500(actually now its even less, a 1 month sale rn for $1300, "manufacturer savings" , i'll take it) vs. $1700 from other retailers with the only difference being a smaller sata ssd which i want to replace anyway

i just found out about that extra discount, so now im thinking maybe i could afford a good nvme x4 ssd since it does have one of those i could take advantage off, although im not sure which one is for me, im gonna look at userbenchmarks if nothing else and go from there

edit: going through userbenchmarks, the HP EX920 1tb seems to have a really good value and then im gonna go with that and the blue drive you recommended cause userbenchmarks doesn't have a filter for PCIEx2 vs. PCIEx4 as far as im aware, userbenchmarks isn't an absolute measure of what's good or bad so if you have any input on that i would love to hear; both drives have 5 year warranty so i think im good in that regard

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member

yeah, that mod seems out of my comfort zone since it has a lot of custom work and is probably overkill for my needs (i also question how that would affect durability, didn't look too even from what i saw)

i was wondering how well the cooling could handle a cpu intensive game like monster hunter world, i wouldn't mind turning down the graphics as long as i can run at native resolution (rn i have a spare r9 390 that i had for a while, so im most likely going to pair that with my egpu ); not sure which settings affect the cpu more than the gpu that i could dial down outside fps, but ideally i want to just have smooth 60 fps above all else on the internal display (which looks really nice, i saw a lg gram 17 in person at costco, im honestly impressed, im so used to 17in laptops being too heavy and it has the excellent screen and other perks you probably know of already)

also that SSD does seem like a really good upgrade from sata, i could probably afford it since at costco the lg gram is $1500(actually now its even less, a 1 month sale rn for $1300, "manufacturer savings" , i'll take it) vs. $1700 from other retailers with the only difference being a smaller sata ssd which i want to replace anyway

i just found out about that extra discount, so now im thinking maybe i could afford a good nvme x4 ssd since it does have one of those i could take advantage off, although im not sure which one is for me, im gonna look at userbenchmarks if nothing else and go from there

I don't own Monster Hunter or i'd let you know how my setup fares. Can you think of any other games? I've played quite a few to this point and was happy with the performance. I don't sit there and scrutinize it to see if it's maintaining 60FPS.. I just go by how I feel playing it. None of them have felt super sluggish or anything. Of course it could just be that I am not super OCD about it or sensitive to it. I will say I do not play competitive multi-player games, if I did maybe that would be something. Of course if those types of games are important to you, an eGPU setup with a U series CPU toting notebook are probably not in your buy list.

Build Link

ReplyQuote
general_winter
(@general_winter)

I don't own Monster Hunter or i'd let you know how my setup fares. Can you think of any other games? I've played quite a few to this point and was happy with the performance. I don't sit there and scrutinize it to see if it's maintaining 60FPS.. I just go by how I feel playing it. None of them have felt super sluggish or anything. Of course it could just be that I am not super OCD about it or sensitive to it. I will say I do not play competitive multi-player games, if I did maybe that would be something. Of course if those types of games are important to you, an eGPU setup with a U series CPU toting notebook are probably not in your buy list.

oh, i was think of an egpu setup as something contemporary for travel more than anything else, not necessarily a gaming desktop replacement (thats pretty unrealistic anyhow with a U series chipset)

i threw in my current configure, and this barely makes it, but when you consider the lg gram 17 has the 8565u (not on this site) then it would get over that recommended hurdle and definitely goes over the minimum, that's sort of why i was wondering if you knew what was cpu intensive and what wasn't

https://www.game-debate.com/hardware/index.php?pid=2527&cpu=Core%20i7-8550U%204-Core%201.8GHz

the reason i ask about this game is this is probably the most demanding game i can think of wanting to run anything, i really like MH

the recommended spec for MH is a i7-3770 and i know the 8565 has a turbo speed of up to 4.6ghz, but like you said before that isn't exactly sustainable

https://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=35284&game=Monster%20Hunter%20World

if you have any games around the same cpu recommended spec and run performance checks on them, i think that would help me understand the limits of the cpu a bit better

thanks in advance

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member

Those are some rather low CPU requirements for a modern game, especially at the recommended level.  The CPUs are pretty competitive with one another.

This site seems to be a decent comparison site. The multi-core performance of the 8565U is in the 80-90% range of the three listed CPUs in the Steam page, which should be fine.
https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/compare_cpu-intel_core_i7_3770-322-vs-intel_core_i7_8565u-893

Build Link

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member

You might want to check out this thread as well https://egpu.io/forums/pc-gaming/anyone-play-monster-hunter-world/

Build Link

ReplyQuote
general_winter
(@general_winter)

You might want to check out this thread as well https://egpu.io/forums/pc-gaming/anyone-play-monster-hunter-world/

i saw that, i think those macs have weaker i7's but even then should be workable at minimum

there isn't much detail other than i can't get 60 fps and denuvo destroys performance, i could test this once i get the laptop

there are a lot of factors around the cpu that weren't mentioned in detail in that post, i'll probably add to it myself once i get everything (and im holding off on MH W until the new expansion since it'll be less expensive then if i buy it now and then the expansion vs. the complete edition bundle )

i do appreciate the help, other than everything else, getting the actual enclosure is quite expensive so i'll hold off for now until i save up for that, hopefully they're less expensive on black friday

ReplyQuote
odin
 odin
(@odin)
Eminent Member

i saw that, i think those macs have weaker i7's but even then should be workable at minimum

there isn't much detail other than i can't get 60 fps and denuvo destroys performance, i could test this once i get the laptop

there are a lot of factors around the cpu that weren't mentioned in detail in that post, i'll probably add to it myself once i get everything (and im holding off on MH W until the new expansion since it'll be less expensive then if i buy it now and then the expansion vs. the complete edition bundle )

i do appreciate the help, other than everything else, getting the actual enclosure is quite expensive so i'll hold off for now until i save up for that, hopefully they're less expensive on black friday

I started using an OSD to do some performance watching while gaming. It's very rare to see a game peg the CPU like a benchmark such as Cinebench does. I seem to be seeing pretty good turbo performance most of the time in the mid 3GHz range. The software I was using for the OSD was also taking a little chunk of CPU time itself, like 6-7% just while active in the background on the desktop. So it was probably even having it's own detrimental effect.

I do not know how Monster Hunter's CPU usage is compared to this (if there was a demo I'd give it a shot..) but from what I can tell of most modern games I'm definitely not seeing the CPU majorly throttled during any game play, it's usually not 100% used and ends up turbo'ing a decent amount consistently. Probably because I'm running everything at 2560x1600 and it ends up being GPU limited. The only times I've really seen the CPU throttle is during things like cinebench or other CPU heavy benchmarks that end up saturating all or most of the cores. I'm not sure if a heavily multiplayer game would change that scenario keeping track of other players, but this is what I'm seeing for most of my games.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Build Link

itsage liked
ReplyQuote