Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,H] + RX [email protected] (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.14...

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,H] + RX [email protected] (ASUS XG Station Pro) + macOS 10.14.5 & Win10 [brutusfly] // external Win10 SSD  

RSS

Brutusfly
(@brutusfly)

This, my first build, took me dozens of hours due to all the little glitches, mistakes, hangs, black screens, and the "not-really-stalled but oops-hard-cycled-it-anyway" events. Getting this ultra-quiet, functioning, dual-boot system with external graphics, external home directory, and completely external Windows drive was a frustrating learning experience.

System specs 2018 Mac Mini 3.2GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 10Gb ethernet, 27" IPS 2560x144o display

eGPU hardware ASUS XG Station Pro, Saphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 580

Hardware pictures (It's a mess right now...)

Installation steps

Mac: Hook it all up, turn it on.
Windows:

• Boot into Recovery mode 
  • Open Startup Security Utility to set Secure Boot to No Security and External Boot to Allow booting from external media (I did NOT disable SIP)
  • Installed Windows 10 on the internal drive via standard Boot Camp procedures in order to facilitate reinstalling it on the external drive.
  •  Used Rufus to install Windows 10 Home on the USB 3 connected SSD in a inateck drive chassis. I seem to have run into troubles at this step as well, but my useful guide was Horatio https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/2018-macbook-pro-13in-boot-camp-windows-on-external-ssd/
  • "Option" key... boot into Windows by selecting the removable drive.
  • Change Device Manager's view modes to view by connections
  • Disable a couple of PCIe ports in Device Manager I don't need, like A339 (maybe it wasn't necessary, but I did see the Error 12 issue at times whilst gnashing my teeth)
  • hot plug the eGPU rig into the Mini and plead helplessly for it to show up in Device Manager. I currently have it in the Mini's Thunderbolt bus nearest the HDMI port.
  • Installing AMD software is a two part procedure. The 2nd part wouldn't work reliably, because the installer could never find the RX 580 reliably. Just unpack and install the software (part 1), but don't run it to install the drivers (skip part 2). Use Device Manager in Windows to pick the driver from the AMD folder you installed. Find the RX 580 in Device Manager. Look for the driver at /Packages/Drivers/Display/WT6A_INF 

No use of ASUS software. I didn't need DDU. I just happened to use automate-eGPU EFI on a USB EFI flash drive sometimes during build struggles, but maybe it was never needed. It certainly is not needed for OS changes when using my two independent display connections (see below)

I can leave the eGPU Thunderbolt cable plugged into the Mini full time. No need to hot plug it.

Rebooting: Maybe there's a simpler way, but I'm too worn out to experiment further at this time... so...To reboot into other OS using a single display:

1. Power down the Mac Mini,
  2. plug in HDMI directly to Mini,
  3. choose HDMI input on display
  4. power up holding "Option" key
  5. Select "EFI" (the external Windows drive) but don't hit return.
  6. Unplug HDMI
  7. Hit return to finish booting and select the display input connected directly to the eGPU

Benchmarks 

The Heaven benchmark on Windows went from under 6fps to over 80fps, so I'm not going to pick nits.

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

•  
This topic was modified 6 days ago

Mac Mini 2018, Asus XG Station Pro, AMD RX 580, Win 10 on external USB 3 SSD

ReplyQuote