2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & ...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 // Oculus Quest  

RSS

Christian Prinoth
(@christian_prinoth)

System specs

1. 2018 Mac mini - i5-8500B/UHD Graphics 630 iGPU/20GB RAM (1x 16GB + 1x 4GB/256 GB SSD
  2. ASUS MG278Q 27'' WQHD (2560 x 1440) Gaming Monitor, 1 ms, 144 Hz, DP, HDMI, DVI, USB 3.0, FreeSync
  3. 1TB NVME M.2 External Hard Drive connected via USB C (for storing games)
  4. Oculus Quest headset

eGPU hardware

1. Razer Core X enclosure
  2. XFX RX-580P8DFD6 grafic card

connect to mac mini via standard Razer provided tb3 cable.

Installation steps

1. install Win10 1903 build 18362.356 via bootcamp on a 75 GB partition of the Mac Mini internal SSD; I installed all proposed system upgrades, while maintaining overall Win version at 1903.
  2. boot Win10, and hotplug egpu
  3. RX580 shows up in device manager, but with error 12; any attempt to reboot into Win10 with egpu plugged in results in infinite boot loop alternating Win10 logo and green-ish graphic corruption
  4. AMD drivers (officlal Adrenalin 2020.4 from website) can be installed only after hotpluggin egpu (as per 2 above, with error 12). Installation completes but at the end the installation procedure says that there is a problem with graphic card. DDU and such not necessary in my experience.
  5. any attempt to reboot with cold-plugged egpu ends as per point 4 above, while hotplugging still yields error 12
  6. now install the bootx64.efi hack as per these instructions: https://github.com/aa15032261/apple_set_os-loader
  7. now upon rebooting, there will be a short pause where you can see the recognized gpus. it should show the internal gpu intel u630, and right below the RX580; when I connect the egpu to the monitor via display port, then the egpu is usually NOT recognized at this step; on the other hand, if the egpu does not have any connection other than mac mini to monitor via hdmi, then the rx 580 is ALWAYS recognized here
  8. if the rx580 is recognized at the efi stage, then it usually also works correctly in windows, although sometimes I have to reboot once or twice before it works
  9. I have NOT had the need to disable PCIe 1901, although sometimes I get a yellowbanged Base Device (not sure what this could be); but no impact on performance or stability.

Benchmarks

SteamVR performance is indicated as "Ready", towards the upper edge.

Valley running at ExtremeHD on macOS with macmini HDMI and eGPU DP both connected to the same monitor, which is set to DP input:

Valley running at ExtremeHD on Win10 with macmini HDMI and eGPU DP both connected to the same monitor, which is set to DP input: 

Valley running at ExtremeHD on Win10 with only eGPU DP connected to monitor:

Valley running at ExtremeHD on Win10 with only macmini HDMI connected to monitor:

Valley running at ExtremeHD on Win10 with only macmini HDMI connected to monitor with GPU overclocked:

So what I find interesting is that the default overclocking in AMD tool is not very effective. Also, I was expecting output from eGPU only to be faster than output from MacMini, but result is the opposite!

Comments

This setup works very well with Oculus Quest and Virtual Desktop for wireless VR! I also tried ALVR (works, but software is a bit rough) and AMD's ReLive (works after some tinkering, but also a bit rough). Virtual Desktop is more expensive but all around the better solution.

This topic was modified 2 months ago
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

nando4 and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Christian Prinoth
(@christian_prinoth)

As a follow up after a few weeks of use, I can confirm that the setup is quite stable. BUT the only way to get windows to boot 100% without issues is to have the eGPU turned off, and to turn it on at the EFI screen (where it says attach gpu then press key).

Otherwise there is a 50% chance that the eGPU is not recognized by windows. Which means it does not show up at all in device manager, not that I get any errors. In fact the only instance where I get error 12 nowadays is if I hotplug the eGPU.

If I turn on the eGPU at the drive selection screen (the one that appears after pressing Option at startup) I get the same result as if it were turned on earlier. So again, the only way to get 100% recognition (and no error 12) is to turn on or connect the eGPU at the EFI screen.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Christian Prinoth
(@christian_prinoth)

@itsage I have a few days upgraded this build replacing the RX580 with a 5700XT. Should I add a different build or just post about it here.

Works great btw!

ReplyQuote
jdemois
(@jdemois)

@christian_prinoth, did you get the 5700xt to work? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@christian_prinoth, Definitely post a new build when you have new component/s!

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Christian Prinoth
(@christian_prinoth)

@jdemois

yes, works perfectly, I am very satisfied. Will post a new build soon.

ReplyQuote