Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14...

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [chosonminhang]  

RSS

chosonminhang
(@chosonminhang)

At first I've upgraded ram from basic 8gb to futureproof 32gb. Thanks to detailed guides from Internet this was delicate but pretty easy process.

Next step was getting proper display for my needs. Goal was to build a fast and modern system capable for everyday tasks in MacOS as my system of choice and for playing games on Windows. I wanted to use ultrawide display with good colors, fast (75+ hz) refresh rate and freesync so my choice was to get LG 34GK950F at first. But since it wasn't available in stock at that time I got Samsung CJ791.

MacOS
Plug&Play. Attached Mac to Core X via tb3 and GPU to display via HDMI. Waited before installation completed and good to go.
There was only single issue: hdmi 2.0 connection couldn't handle 3440x1440 at 100hz and I saw "no signal" when attempted to set it. Direct connection from Mac to display via tb3 cable worked fine. I bought displayport 1.2 cable and problem was gone. I must admit that there wasn't similar problem in Windows: 3400x1440@100 worked fine even via hdmi 2.0. Hdmi sucks I guess, dunno.

Windows
I installed Windows 10 on same storage, didn't tried messing with external drives. My Mac have 1tb storage and I dedicated 150gb for Windows volume. No bios tweaks. No custom efi scripts. No error 12 or other errors. Just hotplugged Core X after Windows installation completed, waited for drivers being installed, one or several reboots (don't remember, sorry guys, was drunk at that time, celebrating my purchase :lol:) and it was ready to go. Switched from direct tb3 connection to dp1.2 cable from Vega to display and it's done. Just updated Radeon Adrenalin drivers without messing with manual uninstalling etc. Maybe was lucky but I didn't encountered with a single issue there.

Conclusion and some notes
For now I'm using regular usb 3.0 external drive to store my Bootcamp games and going to get some tb3 m.2 nvme enclosure (TEKQ Rapide, I guess) and Samsung 970 Evo storage to replace slow usb one. But really happy with this setup already. Both GPU and Core X are cool and quiet when in idle (os, browsing, writing some code in IDE).
Didn't tried any benchmarks. As for games, Doom (2016) is running in 3440x1440 with medium-to-high settings, gives me stable and smooth experience with 100-120 fps. Capped to 90 fps since I can't see any difference and to help GPU avoid unnecessary loads and save some electricity.
Really sad that there's no drivers for nVidia cards in MacOS. Use Vega 64 only because of this situation. 

Some pics here

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Mac Mini 2018 i7 + Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ via Razer Core X

mallagatz, Juan C. Yunis, itsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

Things I like about this post...

1. The pics, please people, more pics. 
2. The gaming performance, holy sh*t!
3. The drinking to celebrate the purchase. 

Thumbs up up all round, great set up.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
slhdsnet
(@slhdsnet)
Trusted Member

Awesome !!  Well done.  😉

nMP-Mac Pro (Late 2013) with AMD FirePro D300's (x2)
✧ macOS Mojave 10.14.5 (18F132) ✧
automate-eGPU EFI (v1.0.5) USB ✧
OWC Mercury Helios FX eGPU / AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 8GB / Apple TB3-TB2 Cable Adapter ✧
✧ NewerTech HDMI Headless Video Adapter ✧

ReplyQuote
Juan C. Yunis
(@juan_c_yunis)
Reputable Member

@chosonminhang very nice man!, I have pretty much the same system, however i sold my Limited Edition VEGA 64 and got a Radeon VII, and my internal SSD is 512GB but I have a lot of external drives, 1 of them being an enclosure with a RAID 0 2TB USB 3.2 10Gbps for Games. I didn't have any issue getting everything to work (Except for the Radeon VII in Mojave 10.14.4 which i had to inject a device id into a kext).

Decided to share some pic: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y400rhx7vxh8r2e/AAAiHnyTtIbQI7-C48lwJbBya?dl=0

This post was modified 6 months ago

2018 Mac Mini Core i7 8700B 32GB RAM 512GB SSD + Razer Core X + AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
mallagatz
(@mallagatz)

Posted by: chosonminhang

At first I've upgraded ram from basic 8gb to futureproof 32gb. Thanks to detailed guides from Internet this was delicate but pretty easy process.

Next step was getting proper display for my needs. Goal was to build a fast and modern system capable for everyday tasks in MacOS as my system of choice and for playing games on Windows. I wanted to use ultrawide display with good colors, fast (75+ hz) refresh rate and freesync so my choice was to get LG 34GK950F at first. But since it wasn't available in stock at that time I got Samsung CJ791.

MacOS
Plug&Play. Attached Mac to Core X via tb3 and GPU to display via HDMI. Waited before installation completed and good to go.
There was only single issue: hdmi 2.0 connection couldn't handle 3440x1440 at 100hz and I saw "no signal" when attempted to set it. Direct connection from Mac to display via tb3 cable worked fine. I bought displayport 1.2 cable and problem was gone. I must admit that there wasn't similar problem in Windows: 3400x1440@100 worked fine even via hdmi 2.0. Hdmi sucks I guess, dunno.

Windows
I installed Windows 10 on same storage, didn't tried messing with external drives. My Mac have 1tb storage and I dedicated 150gb for Windows volume. No bios tweaks. No custom efi scripts. No error 12 or other errors. Just hotplugged Core X after Windows installation completed, waited for drivers being installed, one or several reboots (don't remember, sorry guys, was drunk at that time, celebrating my purchase :lol:) and it was ready to go. Switched from direct tb3 connection to dp1.2 cable from Vega to display and it's done. Just updated Radeon Adrenalin drivers without messing with manual uninstalling etc. Maybe was lucky but I didn't encountered with a single issue there.

Conclusion and some notes
For now I'm using regular usb 3.0 external drive to store my Bootcamp games and going to get some tb3 m.2 nvme enclosure (TEKQ Rapide, I guess) and Samsung 970 Evo storage to replace slow usb one. But really happy with this setup already. Both GPU and Core X are cool and quiet when in idle (os, browsing, writing some code in IDE).
Didn't tried any benchmarks. As for games, Doom (2016) is running in 3440x1440 with medium-to-high settings, gives me stable and smooth experience with 100-120 fps. Capped to 90 fps since I can't see any difference and to help GPU avoid unnecessary loads and save some electricity.
Really sad that there's no drivers for nVidia cards in MacOS. Use Vega 64 only because of this situation. 

Some pics here

I LITERALLY just bought the exact same system (except for the 500gb ssd and 16gb of ram), just waiting for delivery (should get here in about 2... 3 days max?) and I'm beyond happy to see that it worked fine and that everything is just peachy!

The Mini I got has the 500gb ssd, so I'm probably installing bootcamp and games in an external drive just to save a bit of space, since I usually use quite a bit of my internal storage while editing video projects, but still, super happy to know this exact setup works fine together.

I was a bit worried about the Core X having enough juice for the Nitro+... Oh so happy! Can't wait to get this in the studio to start working on it o/

Thanks for the post and sharing the info, pics and your notes on the whole process.

Cheers, dude!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
chosonminhang
(@chosonminhang)

Thank you all for the interest to my build. I updated my config by adding Samsung 970 Evo+ as Windows storage (Windows itself is still installed on main drive due to limitations of BootCamp assistant) connected via tb3 with TEKQ Cube enclosure.

Now the odd thing. Seems that Windows works better than Mac OS on Mac (lol, yeah) with all this external stuff or I miss something.
Windows loads much faster than Mac OS (I guess because of eGPU), but that's not a problem when it's about 5 or 15 seconds.
I just can't turn off the computer while in Mac OS. If I select "shut down" it seems to be turning off for couple seconds and then restarts with error report. It also can't mount external drive (it works fine if I boot into Windows). I use Paragon NTFS to manage Windows partitions. In fact, only to copy movies to another external drive to watch them on TV, and would like to not mount Samsung drive at all since I don't need to sync any data between Mac and Windows partitions for now. I also use Paragon NTFS to reboot into Windows from Mac OS - this works fine and when I'm in Windows I can switch off the computer normally.

This post was modified 5 months ago

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
chosonminhang
(@chosonminhang)

I did nothing except accepting couple minor Mac OS and Paragon NTFS updates, last 2 days I don't encounter this error anymore

ReplyQuote