late-2012 Mac Mini + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.6 & Win10 [ariksaja]^
Revision Implementation. FInal Method. Fewer efforts “Out of the box” version tutorial.
OS : MacOSX Sierra 10.12.6
First of all, thank you for eGPU.io founders. Finally, I can use my mac and breakthrough the capability especially in Graphic Performance. I’m not using high-end GPU at this time because it is my first test to know how this will work and I really need to comfort myself. This is my
second revision post.
I will share what works for me. I successfully installed on my MacOS, also using normal bootcamp windows. in my case, I installed windows 10 Enterprise version.
My Hardware details based on Mac
Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MM61.0106.B1F
SMC Version (system): 2.7f1
+ Akitio Node + Gallax Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti DDR5 4GB + Thunderbolt3+ Thunderbolt adapter + Thunderbolt Cable + HDMI Hub + LED TV + 3 HDMI cables
I'm using only one display which is Led TV .
How to install on MacOSX Sierra 10.12.6 and Windows 10 in easy ways.
Before continue :
- Make sure you update Akitio Firmware to latest firmware. Download the firmware here. I got lucky since I don't need to update its firmware. It's updated out of the box. Note that you need computer with thunderbolt 3 port such as macbook pro etc. to upgrade its firmware.
- Prepare and maintain all cables do you need , attach the GPU into Akitio Node, and manage all hdmi and hub connect to devices properly.
- Power On the Akitio, don't connect thunderbolt cable yet to your mac mini
- Boot up Mac Mini with option key pressed and boot menu will appear. and go inside the rescue system.
- Follow goalque’s post, read step 1, disable csrutil, and type reboot on the shell and press enter.
- Once you go into normal Sierra system, hotplug thunderbolt cable ( sourced from eGPU, don't disconnect the main HDMI cable ( iGPU ) if it's changed to blank display, switch back to your main display using HDMI hub switch.
- Follow again the instruction on goalque’s page step 2 and step 3.
- Once you go in, check and set main display to Nvidia driver using Nvidia manager
- Plug off main HDMI iGPU link. You may try reboot the Mac first to make sure it’s smoothly run.
- Next. Install to windows 10 bootcamp. I revised this post. No need to go back using igpu. I can guarantee you can only use eGPU to install bootcamp normally. After you finish install windows 10, go install windows support from bootcamp. And now you can Boot to each OS Comfortably. No need to disconnect your Internet Connections. 🙂
Cheers, be patience and Goodluck
thanks again goalque, nando4, theitsage, and all people who posted in this forum , Akitio with your good product, i hope Akitio will make another firmware that support coldplug for every GPU cards.
Hello ariksaja, thank you for the post. It helped me a lot.
Im trying to set up my mac mini 2012 with akitio node + 1060 6g. EGPU works in both Mac and windows but stuck on code 12 error for graphic driver in windows.
Didn't you get any error for your graphic driver?
Same here with Mac Mini 2012 (2,5 GHz Intel Core i5) + Akitio Node TB3 (with Apple TB3->TB2 adapter) + Sapphire Radeon R9 290X Tri-X 4GO. I went to the point of making my own DSDT file, but so far I still have the Code 12. Did you find a solution @ych21c ?
@ariksaja : I switched to a GTX1060 3Gb, formatted everything, reverted to Sierra 10.12.6 - It's working perfectly on macOS. I then installed Windows 10 1803 with Bootcamp, followed your instructions and also removing the Intel Graphics drivers just in case, and installed NVidia Drivers 416.34: Error 12... The only difference I can notice is the Boot ROM Version.
If @goalque or @nando4 are around to save me, I also bought DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 today but it is not working on my GTX1060 (when I press 3 for the menu I had a black screen with a flickering green horizontal line on top, and with the AMD card I had the menu but never managed to get it working...
PS: Sorry for the double post, but this thread seems really appropriate for me a I have almost the same config
Luckily, code 12 solved. In may case, I installed windows specific OS version(10.. something but i forgot. it was from some comments.) in bootcamp. I am playing "PUBG" on it.