2013 Mac Pro (FP D300 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 6900 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 Mac Pro (FP D300 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 6900 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 12.1  

RSS

(@rajdeep_wasekar)

SYSTEM 1:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro6,1
Processor Name: 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 12
Memory: 64 GB

Both the systems are shown in the system.

eGPU hardware :

RAZER CORE X + ASUS TUF AMD RADEON RT 6900 XT OC EDITING + USING Apple TB3 to TB2 ADAPTER For MacPro

Hardware pictures 

IMG 6647

Now I haven't posted much setup. I'm going to move this setup to my new studio and will upload new images.

Installation steps 

1. Mac Pro Late 2013 with 27' Thunderbolt Display 

1. The RAZER CORE X was already assembled as I used it for MacBook Pro.
  2. Here the challenge was to install the script.
  3. I had two options purge-wrangler and Kryptonite
  4. I went with later one.
  5. I went to terminal used the command to delete all the snapshots of the Machintosh HD Volume (given in Kryponite Guide)
  6. (FOR OPEN CORE) Made a small partition around 450 MB as 256 MB was somehow not possible on Mac. You need to click on the Actual SSD Container in Disk Utility to create a partition.  Just click on the disk, go to add partition, there is icon of "+" click on it and select add partition (not volume)
  7. You have created the partition successfully (takes a little time). I then installed the Kryptonite in it. Super simple. (Just follow the step on the kryptonite guide. 
  8. I booted from the volume I created and on which Kryptonite was selected by holding option on keyboard before boot. Attached the eGPU and it is working amazing.

Benchmarks 

Now I haven't used any other display to check the bench mark but I have used display that is connected to egpu directly. Was super smooth and flawless at 4K LG Ultra High Definition Display.

I have captured some bench mark, before and after on Mac Pro and Sharing the same.

BEFORE : (ONLY METAL SCORE)

AFTER : (ONLY METAL SCORE)

ALMOST 10X faster

Comments 

Now let's talk about the how the egpu increased my performance.

I needed egpu because my both the Mac were not supporting there current GPU for OCTANE RENDER.

Octane Team, messaged me with some gpu's that will support and all the guide.

NOTE: Please do not exploit the names I have shared.

Now the GPU that has the Maximum OCTANE BENCHMARK SCORE was AMD RADEON RT6900XT.

I choose that (Kind of little expensive but okay). I didn't went to go with NVIDIA because Mac doesn't support NVIDIA and I needed to go with the egpu Script on any other device.

I'm using the egpu on daily basis. The egpu is definitely not good for after effect (Only for some effects), not even when you change the renderer from Software to Render on Mercury GPU. It do does boost performance on other apps like, Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, Animate of Adobe Products. Cinema 4D works flawless. It takes time to render of course but the rendering time is not that much as it was before on the previous graphics card, almost 10X faster. For a medium heavy scene I needed around 40 minutes to render but now it renders a frame on an average of 3 minutes. It do depends on the resolution and size but it's workable. You can work your way out while editing. Octane Render works good with this GPU. I haven't seen the GPU have used it all power till now yet even on heavy renders but it gives it's 60-80%. Some people have suggested me to use Headless HDMI and DP adapters. I have used HDMI didn't do much. When I ran the benchmark with Headless HDMI, the benchmark score was low by almost 50%. I will check with the DISPLAY PORT.

Issues I'm facing right now. Till now no issue except one. The Thunderbolt-2 27" Display that is connected to my Mac Pro Late 2013 stops responding to the Keyboard for Brightness. it get's started as soon as I unplug the TB2 from Mac Pro and connect again but this happens only issue I'm facing. And other is ADOBE products not taking advantage of the GPU. Kind of sad.

So this is it guys. I hope this may help you in any way. Let me know if you have any ideas to fix the Thunderbolt 2 Display issue. 

Just a quick update.

So there were lot of issues with model that were not supporting egpu.

I used two script, Automate-eGPU EFI with Automatic mode and set-eGPU. They I think fixed 99% of issues.

Like plugins not loading in Photoshop, UI issues DaVinci Resolve. HTML issues. Sound Issues and also Boot up issues with eGPU.

I hope this helps.

This topic was modified 8 months ago
2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H]+ RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 12.1 [build link]  

AkiraKodama, itsage, nando4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
(@rajdeep_wasekar)

Hi guys,

Recently I did a build. Here is the link

2013 Mac Pro (D300 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 6900 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 12.1

Issue is,

1. When I enable prefer egpu option, some extensions in Photoshop are showing up blank.

2. Davinci has blank screen.

3. Youtube sound freezes.

Can anybody please help me with this.

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H]+ RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 12.1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@rajdeep_wasekar , pls consider creating two build guides for the two different machines you've listed. That way the Builds area of the site can correcty parse the title and list the build.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@rajdeep_wasekar)

@nando4, okay. I'll do that.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote