Notifications
Clear all

Macbook 2017 13" Master thread  

RSS

Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

***It's my understanding these threads are always intended to be WIP and updated by their starter, I shall do my best to do so***

Welcome to my attempt at a master thread, to start off I have to put my hands up and admit I am far from the most technical of people and would not be here if it wasn't for the fantastic work from the mods, itsage, maceditor, nando4 and goalque. In my experience its rare to find such smart folks who have the patience for less tech people (dealing with some of the mods on tonymac in my hack days was like talking to hostile robots) and an appetite to share, encourage and assist.

With that in mind dont expect much from this thread in the way of "how" but expect i'll try and document my various set ups and findings.

I will try and do it in table format so folks can look up their combo and add some waffle about findings for reference, lets see how this pans out.

Variables:

Enclosures:

Sonnet Breakaway, Razer Core V1 (ti82 chip), Mantiz Venus Rev 2

GPUs:

GTX1050, 1060, 1070, RX580, Vega 56, RX 5700 XT

Windows:

W10: 1607, 1809, 1903, 1909

Additional:

LG Ultrafine 5K TB3 display.

Work arounds:

rEFInd

EFI Bootloaber

Starting point:

Boot into recovery mode and disable SIP and allow boot from external media.This should be remove as much security from your mac as possible to allow the work arounds to work their magic.

Enclosure findings:

With a ti82 (older gen TB3 chip) you will have to use mac_editors awesome purgewrangler script to get the enclosure and egpu recognised. What I didnt realize while using the Core V1 is there is also some sort of firmware level issues which effect detection when booting into windows which isnt improved by purgewrangler, I ended up upgrading to a Mantiz Venus for the ports and interal SATA SSD and was pleasantly surprised my Windows detections issues were resolved. Back of the net.

Nvida GTX cards:

We are only talking windows here as there have been no Nvidia drivers since High Sierra, but since 1607 all that was needed was "hot plugging". What is hot plugging? Its plugging in once the laptop is on, in this case at the split second the spinning circles of Windows loader came up on screen. This technique worked on all Nvidia cards and I never encountered error 12 which is more associated with AMD cards. Timing is the key here. 

AMD cards:

OH BOY, where to start! I spent years, yes years, trying to get this combo to work. Maybe not constantly but it took a lot of attempts over that time. One undocumented variable that helped me solve my error 12 issues was the ti83 chip in my Mantiz and its related detection issue solving, it you are running a Razer V1 Core and an AMD card its going to be an extra pain.

***Need to insert chart here - unsure how to with forum software. paging mods... formatting is also being odd?***

This topic was modified 2 months ago

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@eightarmedpet,  Thank you for sharing this master thread on the 2017 13" MacBook Pro! We're looking forward to seeing your experience with using this laptop for eGPU over the years. The LG UltraFine 5K display is another factor that many would find interesting.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote