mid-2012 11" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12 [bitinn]  

RSS

bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member
September 3, 2017 11:25 am  

I am so happy I got this to work!

Basic steps:

- Boot into Recovery Mode (Restart macOS and hold cmd + R)

- Disable System Integrity Protection (Open terminal in utility, type csrutil disable)

- Reboot again into normal macOS.

- Now download and install latest Nvidia Web Driver as well as CUDA Driver.

- Install driver will make you reboot again, no big deal.

- Now download and install eGPU enabler

- At the end it will ask you to reboot again. BUT before you do that, hook up your Gaming Box power and TB3 -> TB2 adapter.

- With the Thunderbolt line connected, reboot your macOS.

- After login, your Gaming Box light should turn on, and you should be able to verify following items:

As the bonus (or actually what I am trying to achieve):

Iray renderer with NVIDIA GTX 1070 on a macOS!

mid-2012 11" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12
early-2015 13" MacBook Pro + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13

cpauya and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
September 3, 2017 11:32 am  

@bitinn,  did you want to extend your implementation to include Windows? The NVidia card in the Aorus Gaming Box appeals to Windows gamers.

AMD RX480/580 (and now Vega) cards have better macOS High Sierra (beta) support so may appeal more to professional users.  There a no current Nvidia drivers drivers for High Sierra (beta).

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member
September 3, 2017 11:38 am  
Posted by: nando4

@bitinn,  did you want to extend your implementation to include Windows? The NVidia card in the Aorus Gaming Box appeals to Windows gamers.

AMD RX480/580 (and now Vega) cards have better macOS High Sierra (beta) support so may appeal more to professional users.  There a no current Nvidia drivers drivers for High Sierra (beta).

Yeah I will look into it soon, for my indie game dev's sake. (The only problem is I don't have enough space for Win 10 install, that I will have to figure it out.)

As for High Sierra beta, it seems many 3D app don't support them officially yet, so I kinda want to avoid them for now (plus it's damn near impossible to buy an AMD card nowadays).

mid-2012 11" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12
early-2015 13" MacBook Pro + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
flyinganimal
(@flyinganimal)
December 9, 2017 3:01 pm  
Posted by: bitinn

PS: I really need to investigate 2 things:

- Why automate-eGPU.sh didn't work for me (using the exact same steps).

- Whether I can re-enable SIP somehow.

@bitinn

thanks for the great walk thorough. it seems pretty straightforward. Gives me some confidence that i could probably set that up too. I need it mainly for VJing and hopefully for some minor crypto mining in spare times.. 😛

just wanted to dublecheck a few details with you. (My setup is 2013 MBA, 1.7ghz intel i7, 8gb ram, OS Sierra)

- do you connect it via apple thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt and than apple thunderbolt cable? or do you use any 3rd party products?

- do the extra usb ports work on the eGPU?

- any luck getting the automate script and SIP running?

- actually did you already tried using it on High Sierra as it is meant to work ok now?

- not sure if you can help with this one, but did you actually tried connecting two or three projectors to it? 😛 (you know them VJs.. 😉

thanks a lot again

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Flint Ironstag
(@flint-ironstag)
Estimable Member
December 11, 2017 11:00 pm  

What type of apps / sources are you using in the VJ sets?  I'd imagine a 1070 could handle anything up to a Pink Floyd concert - LOL.  Actually I really don't know.  I'd imagine the laptop introduces CPU, RAM, TB, or possibly thermal constraints first.

3 regular projectors, say small nightclub sized?  I wouldn't imagine it's an issue.  Stadiums may be a whole  other kettle of fish.

MP 6,1 | 4c | d700
MP 6,1 | 6c | d500

ReplyQuote
flyinganimal
(@flyinganimal)
December 12, 2017 2:03 pm  

Hey!

I play mainly VDMX5 and sometimes use resolume arena5 too. I was writing on their forums and i just dont know what is the gpu-cpu usage ratio of these applicaitons. but i imagine for live multilayered video/animation/generative stuff it would be mainly gpu, right?

anyways, i hope you re right, having three projectors rocking at 30fps and HD (or full hd even?) would be more than i need 😛 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
flyinganimal
(@flyinganimal)
December 27, 2017 11:11 am  

hi everyone!
so i got the very same settup as @bitinn but didnt have the same luck.
the card is recognised but is not utilisied neither in sirerra 12.6 nor high sierra 13.2.
I have no clue what im doing wrong, but as a last resort im doing a clean install of sierra today hoping that will help.

if anyone has any hints, shoot! i really dont see how the same hardware with same software can be working in one case, but not in another,... 

ReplyQuote
flyinganimal
(@flyinganimal)
December 29, 2017 6:40 pm  

reporting back

i did two things. first one didnt work, the second one did. No clue why but might help someone in similar situation to save some time.

1 - did clean install of high sierra 13.2. installed everything as suggested (after having enourmous trouble getting the latest version of nvdiaegpu support package) - gaming box not even recognised as graphics card

2 - did clean install of sierra 12.6 installed drivers and rastafabi's eGPU enabler, set my external monitor to primary. seems to work fine now.

supposedly, both solutions should work, but they didnt for me.

anyone had luck with macbook air 2012 on high sierra?

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
December 29, 2017 7:49 pm  

The workaround by @rastafabi for 10.12 is more proven than the workaround by @yifanlu for 10.13.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

flyinganimal liked
ReplyQuote