early-2015 13" Macbook Air + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.6 & Win10 [balmac]  

RSS

balmac
(@balmac)
December 27, 2017 9:05 pm  

System specs

Macbook Air 13" Early 2015, 1.6GHz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 6000
macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Win10 1703 on external Samsung T5 SSD

eGPU hardware 

Aorus Gaming Box 1070, replaced GPU with an EVGA 1050 TI
Connected with 0.5m Apple TB2 cable and TB2 -> TB3 adapter

Installation steps

macOS

• Followed automate eGPU Guide for installation and it worked right away for external monitor and CUDA
  • I am plugging in the eGPU after FileVault Password on boot
  • To get an application running on internal screen as well I use an HDMI Dummy Plug from Amazon, select the dummy monitor as primary monitor and start the application on that monitor and move the application to the internal monitor with a BetterTouchTool keybinding
  • I haven't tested this extensively as I mainly intend to use the eGPU in Win10, but I confirmed the card working in Heaven Benchmark, showing up in Adobe Premiere and in CUDA-Z

Win10 

• Installed Win10 1703 on an external Samsung T5 SSD following roughly this guide with these changes:
    • As can be read in the comment section of the guide the "Enable EFI" setting has to be checked in the VirtualBox VM otherwise the disk wouldn't show up in the boot selection
    • Because the link to the Bootcamp drivers in the guide are broken I used BootCamp Assistant -> Action -> Download Windows Support Software instead
  • Plugging in the eGPU after boot listed a new graphics card in device manager
  • Installed the latest drivers from the Gigabyte website for the box (384.76)
  • Nothing special had to be done to run it on internal display (Dummy HDMI plug not needed)

Problems

Win10

• The detection of the eGPU doesn't work reliable. While it always shows up in the device manager it is not always actually usable. The nvidia tool then just doesn't show up and no acceleration is available. I have to reboot and try again if that is the case. When it is working it has been working reliable though (ie no crashes).
  • Not really a problem but contrary to macOS the LEDs do not light up and the small fans on the side don't seem to turn. Actually it is better for me because I didn't like the LEDs anyway and it's a really quiet setup now, but not sure if this might be a problem in future. Checking GPU temperatures while gaming has shown that temperatures still should be within range even without these fans though.

Comments

This eGPU works even better than expected. I haven't used it for much, mostly playing Hitman on Win10 and I am very happy with the performance I am getting there. For this price this really is a nice portable solution to get quite a bit of gaming out of this before-horrible-gaming laptop. Also I really appreciate the laptop no longer getting crazy hot.

Thanks to this community for making this setup possible!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member
March 9, 2018 5:29 pm  

I thought the Aorus box needed the 8pin power to be used in order to wake-up.
How did you circumvent this @balmac ?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 9, 2018 5:37 pm  

It doesn't, or at least, not always. There are several cases of cards without power connectors working with it, and there's also a couple of cases where cards with 6-pin inputs did work. We don't yet know why in some cases cards without power plugs, or with 6-pin inputs just won't start. My GTX1050Ti did not work, and his did. It might be somehow related to the fact that I was using power delivery and his did not.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Arthy
(@arthy)
Eminent Member
March 9, 2018 5:42 pm  

Thanks for the clarification @yukikaze
So if I decide to go with a less than 8pin card, I should only go with one that was already tested by someone in the community?

Edit: also, your 670 was successfully detected, right? I can't get mine to appear in SysRep or Device Manager...

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 9, 2018 5:46 pm  

It seems like it is the best course of action. The AORUS seems to be a little finicky. To make things worse: It looks like a card can work with one laptop and not work with another (See my Spectre+1050Ti not working, but the ZBook G4 + GTX1050Ti working just fine. Note that in this case the difference again seems to be power-delivery: The ZBook G4 does not charge via the TB3 port).

Your GTX670 seems to be starting fine with it, and you seem to be running into software/driver related issues with the GPU itself being detected in the OS. As theitsage told you, if the LEDs light up and the card fan spins up, it means that the enclosure has powered the card up. When it does not work (as was the case for me and the GTX1050Ti), the GPU remains off and the LEDs remain dark. The USB hub still works, however, and the power delivery mechanism charges the laptop.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

Arthy liked
ReplyQuote
maskofwraith
(@maskofwraith)
July 26, 2018 7:26 pm  

Small help.

i have the same setup as you, but i didn't bother to change the graphic card so i'm using 1070.

i installed window 10 on bootcamp.
 But whenever i tried to connect to it, it shows as Microsoft basic display adapter. Tried installing Nvidia drivers but the driver installation is stuck at "installing nvidia driver"

Oddly i can't shutdown windows 10 , if i connect the gaming box, and cpu usage is 50% all the time.

am i doing something wrong here.

Thank you

ReplyQuote