MacBook Pro 13" 2016 nTB + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + MacOS 10.14.1 & Win10 [Sace]
- MacBook Pro 13" non Touchbar (2016)
- CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel Core i5 (6360U)
- GPU: Intel Iris 540
- Mac OS 10.14.1 & Windows 10 1803 (Bootcamp)
- Razer Core X
- MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB
Hardware wise installing the card in the Core X is very easy and no tools required.
Just plug and play. The RX580 shows up instantly and can accelerate both internal and external displays.
- Clean install Windos 10 with the latest bootcamp drivers
- Remove AMD drivers with DDU
- Download the latest drivers from AMD
- Download and copy @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI to USB thumb drive [in macOS]
- Restart and hold "option" at boot and use automate-eGPU EFI to launch Windows
- The card is detected as soon as Windows is up and running
- Install the AMD driver and reboot
- If the GPU is marked with "error 12" then disable "PCI Express Root Port 10 - 9D19" in device manager
- Reboot again and the eGPU should be active
I bought this setup after a frustrating experience with a defective Aorus Gaming box and decided to pick a more future proof enclosure. The GPU was on sale and the native MacOS support was a big plus too. Overall I am very satisfied with the result. The setup was almost plug and play thanks to this great site. Performance wise I'm pretty happy with the result. Until now I have been running Hitman 2 and The Divison with decent settings - A totally different experience to playing on the Iris GPU.
MacBook Pro 13” nTB (2016) - Razer Core X - MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB
Mac OS X 10.14.1 + Windows 10 1803 (Bootcamp)
Hey guys, (first time poster and total noob).
Will this set-up work on a "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)? Also noob question, it mentions that purchased the MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB to 'future proof' this, but can I just pick-up a Razor core X and put a TB3 to TB2/USB-3 adapter on it?
Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts