MacBook Pro 13" 2016 nTB + [email protected] (Razer Core X) + MacOS 10.14.1 & Win10 [Sace]  

RSS

Sace
 Sace
(@sace)
Dec 23, 2018 7:32 pm  

System specs

• MacBook Pro 13" non Touchbar (2016)
  • CPU: 2.0 GHz Intel Core i5 (6360U)
  • GPU: Intel Iris 540
  • Mac OS 10.14.1 & Windows 10 1803 (Bootcamp)

eGPU hardware

Installation steps

Hardware wise installing the card in the Core X is very easy and no tools required.

Mac OS
Just plug and play. The RX580 shows up instantly and can accelerate both internal and external displays.

Windows 10

• Clean install Windos 10 with the latest bootcamp drivers
  • Remove AMD drivers with DDU
  • Download the latest drivers from AMD
  • Download and copy @goalque's automate-eGPU EFI to USB thumb drive [in macOS]
  • Restart and hold "option" at boot and use automate-eGPU EFI to launch Windows 
  • The card is detected as soon as Windows is up and running
  • Install the AMD driver and reboot
  • If the GPU is marked with "error 12" then disable "PCI Express Root Port 10 - 9D19" in device manager
  • Reboot again and the eGPU should be active

Benchmarks
Coming soon

Comments 

I bought this setup after a frustrating experience with a defective Aorus Gaming box and decided to pick a more future proof enclosure. The GPU was on sale and the native MacOS support was a big plus too. Overall I am very satisfied with the result. The setup was almost plug and play thanks to this great site. Performance wise I'm pretty happy with the result. Until now I have been running Hitman 2 and The Divison with decent settings - A totally different experience to playing on the Iris GPU.

MacBook Pro 13” nTB (2016) - Razer Core X - MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB
Mac OS X 10.14.1 + Windows 10 1803 (Bootcamp)

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
Dec 24, 2018 1:17 am  

@sace Glad to see you have much better luck with the Razer Core X. Enjoy your eGPU setup!

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
akanoodles
(@akanoodles)
Mar 6, 2019 3:00 pm  

Hey guys, (first time poster and total noob).

Will this set-up work on a "MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)? Also noob question, it mentions that purchased the MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 8GB to 'future proof' this, but can I just pick-up a Razor core X and put a TB3 to TB2/USB-3 adapter on it?

This post was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
merlinbk
(@merlinbk)
Jun 17, 2019 1:20 pm  

Yes it will work. However I have only tried it in osX 10.14+ (not bootcamp- windows 10). It was basically plug and play. If you're using it for gaming, you can probably check within the game and assign the graphics card directly to it... so no other third party software ( set-egpu.sh) needed. I used the apple tb3 to tb2 adapter and an apple 2m tb2 cable.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote