Setup & Software Discussions
2013 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + ma...

2013 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.1 [vonthing]  

RSS

vonthing
(@vonthing)

System specs

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)

2.4 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB

Crucial 1TB SSD NVMExpress @ x4 link width

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X -- bone stock

Apple TB3 to TB2 Adapter

Apple TB2 Cable

Hardware pictures

The card in question:

Did literally nothing except pop the card in. Done.

Installation steps

Literally popped the card in and it's done, 5 minute install.

(edit) After the install boot to recovery, disable System Integrity Protection (type csrutil disable in Terminal) then boot back to OSX and install purge-wrangler (then plug the GPU in when purge-wrangler asks you to).

Due to the Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter my bandwidth is capped at 20 Gbps instead of the 32 Gbps you expect with this enclosure

Benchmarks

Running at 20 Gbps 

Comments

Replaced my Radeon Vega 64 with this one as soon as Catalina started supporting it and before my Amazon prime return window ended.

Simple no effort install. Plug and play

This topic was modified 4 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@vonthing Nice build! Please make sure to mention both hardware and software installation steps so that it doesn’t confuse readers. Thunderbolt 2 Macs don’t have eGPU support in macOS Catalina. Unless you installed Purge-Wrangler script or boot into macOS with automate-eGPU EFI, the RX 5700 XT eGPU wouldn’t be plug-and-play.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
aobreroes
(@aobreroes)

Hello! I use the same configuration as you, but the system does not recognize me the graphics card (AMD RX570) The icon above appears for a moment, but disappears and the graph is not detected. Any solution? Thank you

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@aobreroes As stated in my reply to the OP, Thunderbolt 1 & 2 Macs do not have native eGPU support in macOS Catalina. You’d need to install either Purge-Wrangler or use automate-eGPU EFI boot loader.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
vonthing
(@vonthing)

Yes @itsage is correct, I installed purge-wrangler, forgot about that sorry 🙂 Adding it now.

ReplyQuote
aobreroes
(@aobreroes)

@vonthing @itsage Thank you very much for the help! Finally that problem was solved. But I requested a replacement for my Razer Core X, I had a problem with the power supply and did not turn on the next day ... 🙁 waiting for the new article

ReplyQuote