2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H]+ RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X)...

Notifications
Clear all

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H]+ RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 12.1  

RSS

(@rajdeep_wasekar)

SYSTEM 

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 6
Memory: 16 GB

eGPU hardware :

RAZER CORE X + ASUS TUF AMD RADEON RT 6900 XT OC EDITION

Hardware pictures 

IMG 6647

Now I haven't posted much setup. I'm going to move this setup to my new studio and will upload new images.

Installation steps 

I have to machines. Let's talk about the installation :

1. MacBook Pro 2018 15"

1. Installation is super simple here.
  2. I opened the Razer Core X
  3. Assembled with the graphics card
  4. Used the TB3 cable came with it and powered on.
  5. Before powering the RAZER CORE X and without connecting the TB3 to Macbook it didn't start. The graphics card kind of didn't have power
  6. As soon as I attached the TB3, Boom, I had the icon at the top with every single information of the graphics card and the enclosure.
  7. Working cool.

Benchmarks 

Now I haven't used any other display to check the bench mark but I have used display that is connected to egpu directly. Was super smooth and flawless at 4K LG Ultra High Definition Display.

I have captured some bench mark, before and after on Mac Pro and Sharing the same.

BEFORE : (ONLY METAL SCORE)

AFTER : (ONLY METAL SCORE)

ALMOST 10X faster

Comments 

Now let's talk about the how the egpu increased my performance.

I needed egpu because my both the Mac were not supporting there current GPU for OCTANE RENDER.

Octane Team, messaged me with some gpu's that will support and all the guide.

NOTE: Please do not exploit the names I have shared.

Now the GPU that has the Maximum OCTANE BENCHMARK SCORE was AMD RADEON RT6900XT.

I choose that (Kind of little expensive but okay). I didn't went to go with NVIDIA because Mac doesn't support NVIDIA and I needed to go with the egpu Script on any other device.

I'm using the egpu on daily basis. The egpu is definitely not good for after effect (Only for some effects), not even when you change the renderer from Software to Render on Mercury GPU. It do does boost performance on other apps like, Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere Pro, Animate of Adobe Products. Cinema 4D works flawless. It takes time to render of course but the rendering time is not that much as it was before on the previous graphics card, almost 10X faster. For a medium heavy scene I needed around 40 minutes to render but now it renders a frame on an average of 3 minutes. It do depends on the resolution and size but it's workable. You can work your way out while editing. Octane Render works good with this GPU. I haven't seen the GPU have used it all power till now yet even on heavy renders but it gives it's 60-80%.

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H]+ RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 12.1 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote