2017 15" Macbook Pro RP560 + [email protected] (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [EnterKey]  

RSS

EnterKey
(@enterkey)
September 29, 2018 7:33 am  

System specs

Macbook Pro Mid 2017 15" - Intel i7 7820HQ / 16GB ram / Radeon 560 Pro iGPU

eGPU hardware

AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box

Installation steps

Literally plug & play in bootcamp with external screen.

Benchmarks

Only been playing Fortnite and BF1 and both seem to be running constantly at 60fps @ 1440p at highest settings. 

Comments

So this was a very very nice experience compared to what I was expecting (reading a lot of things on this forum about how horrible things go with iGPU's and stuff). I unboxed it, plugged my mouse, keyboard, external ssd en dvi cable in the box. Boot up bootcamp, plug in the thunderbold (does not matter which port). System did it things and it just worked. I can reboot, plug and play (and it will switch back to the Radeon 560) and don't need to hot plug anything. 

Note here is that I don't have that much needs. All I really wanted is my desktop to be replaced by just a single machine (with a better gpu). I don't care about the internal display working or mac osx (i'm also not even going to try). I did try in osx and it boots fine with the box plugged in, and it even reconizes the mouse, keyboard and ssd.

So my current workflow is as follows;
- I use osx (mojave) for work. When booting I plug out the box (can leave it in, doesn't really matter) and plug in a cable that connects to the displayport of my screen.
- Whenever I want to switch to windows for gaming, I unplug the displayport cable, plug in the box, reboot to windows and voila!

So all in all, really happy with my purchase  🙂 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
elkillor
(@elkillor)
September 29, 2018 9:31 am  

hello
you can test your config with internal screen ?
because i have one macbookpro mi 2012 retina with thunder2 enclosure and 1050TI  (diyegpu 1.37)(for 1 year now )
that work very nice on external and internal screen without optimus with windows 1803(on external ssd)
you go to graphic preference and use the app of your choice with the better graphic card 
and you can use your egpu on external or internal (if the cable is not connected to the external screen)
thanks for all /and for all the comunity

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote