Mid-2014 15" Macbook Pro Iris+ [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macO10.12.4&Win10 [Linusnyren]^ // xbox360 203W PSU  

RSS

Linusnyren
(@linusnyren)
April 11, 2017 10:01 am  

Hi Guys!

First of all i would like to thank the community for all the guides and information to make this happen! Egpu is really awesome and were just getting started!

I thought it was about time a made my first topic here with my setup.

Parts used for the build.

1, Akitio Thunder2

2. Xbox 360 203w psu

3. Evga 1060 6gb

4. asus 27" and asus 24" monitors.

I´ve soldered power on the back of the pcb to give power to the 6 pin of the card.

So the egpu is powered through a single 2.5 5.5 barrel plug. If your going to do this mod, make sure you use a quality barrel plug, the first one i used melted due to the high amps.

Im getting a performance decrease of about 10% in firestrike and other benchmarks compared to my friends i7 6770k rig with the same gpu.

Heres som pictures of the build! feel free to ask me about it.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

23mrtbone, goalque, nando4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member
April 11, 2017 10:16 am  

Great setup and pictures, welcome to mini eGPU team and you are the first with Pascal GPU that run macOS - with this case mod you can fit 1070 mini and 1080 mini in future 🙂

On the market we have 3 mini video cards:

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
 MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
MxL666
(@mxl666)
April 20, 2017 7:20 pm  

Hello Linusnyren,

I just found your Post - maybe you can help me out, as it seems we have the same Macbook pro (15" mid 2014 with Intel Iris)? I'm also using a Thunder 2 enclosure (120W power supply) with a (used) EVGA GTX750ti sc (powered through pci-e slot). My problem is actually that the Nvidia doesn't show up in OSX after installing the script 🙁

What  I tried so far:

- csrutil disable

- download and run the automate-eGPU script like described in various tutorials

- before first reboot I plug in the Thunder2 and run the script again (like prompted in Terminal)

Result: My external Monitor is on after reboot, but seems like it is still powered by the Iris-Graphics, as statetd in "about this mac"....

Maybe you have some tips for me?

Best Regards,

Max

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Linusnyren
(@linusnyren)
May 10, 2017 3:06 pm  

Hi!

Make sure that the external display is set as the primary display.

to do this head to system settings/display and drag the top border to your external display. 

ReplyQuote
ricc
 ricc
(@ricc)
Eminent Member
March 22, 2018 7:50 pm  

Hello! Is this configuration still working? Did you ever manage to get it to work with the internal display?

2014 Macbook Pro 15" Iris Pro /w Aorus Gaming Box GTX 1070

ReplyQuote