Enclosure & Hardware Discussions
AKiTiO Thunder3 - top vented case height mod to accomdate Zotac mini GTX1080 [ma...

AKiTiO Thunder3 - top vented case height mod to accomdate Zotac mini GTX1080 [maven]  

RSS

Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

I have been working on this mod for about a week now. Have had limited time, but wanted to give a sneak peek. 🙂

The lid is completely solid and does not move unless you want it too. I have the front lip of the lid set so I can open and close it if I want access to the video card.

I will probably reduce the height tomorrow of the lid in total by half. I thought perhaps posting a photo with exaggerated height might be beneficial to others that may have an obnoxiously tall card.  It could even hold fans if you have a hot card that may be problematic.

I know its not for everyone and some might think its a waste of money to mod the case. However, I paid for the electronics inside of the case. In fact, I paid less for this case with it included TB3 boards than I did for a semi good TB2 board.

The Razer Core and Node are just too big for my tastes. Compact powerhouse eGPU's and or Computers are my cup of tea.

Stay tuned....

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsmikerofl, enjoy, deplomb and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
deplomb
(@deplomb)
Trusted Member

Excellent Idea for tall cards, especially to have the case modded for higher cards
and still fully functional concerning the ability to open.

I suggest you might want to post it here as well as alternative to the closable versions without top panel mod:
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/akitio-thunder2-and-thunder3-gpu-size-to-close-the-akitio/

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

Great, i guess you will use the ZOTAC GTX 1080 Mini, we wait for pictures inside and if the ZOTAC /211mm without the brackets/ FITS in the Akitio, if you remove the front fan!)

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

Posted by: enjoy

Great, i guess you will use the ZOTAC GTX 1080 Mini, we wait for pictures inside and if the ZOTAC /211mm without the brackets/ FITS in the Akitio, if you remove the front fan!)

Hello,

Thats exactly what I did, along with the following...

Two additional silent fans added

The LED is still intact and functioning in its original placement

Added 1TB SSD for internal storage utilizing the secondary USB-C

I have already constructed a revised lower profile lid for comparison.

And a few other things...

I won't be able to post pictures until tomorrow.

itsmikerofl and enjoy liked
ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

Hello,

BAD news!

I have to return the Zotac due to EXTREMELY obnoxious coil whine. It sounds like an old hard drive trying to access data all over the place. :/

Will report back when the project resumes.

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

🙁

Really bad news, hope they will replace the 1080 with proper one!

Can you answer me if 1080 fit in the Akitio Case when you remove the front fan?

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
Maven
(@maven)
Trusted Member

It fits without the fan and the front side piece half removed. (Top side part) Only need to remove half of the side.

ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member

Great news for our MINI eGPU team, we wait for your update when they return or fix your ZOTAC 1080 Mini.

It's great that the front of the Akitio is still on his place with GTX 1080 Inside, that means that ZOTAC 1070 Mini will fit too, great news!

We want pictures when you finish your eGPU for sure!

ReplyQuote