early-2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.5 & Win10 [psychoboy852]^  

RSS

psychoboy852
(@psychoboy852)
July 4, 2017 5:05 pm  

Update: all working in macOS and Win10. Details in the thread. Here's some pics:

Been trying to install the 1080 ti on my MacBook Pro. The script run okay, and now the eGPU shows in the system report panel. I mainly got this set-up for rendering. And the card shows in Blender. 

However the eGPU does not show in "About This Mac". Also I have some crazy glitches while using Safari. Clamshell mode does not work, although it works perfectly if I just use the external screen. Can someone please advise any solution? This is a real bummer.

Here is what I get in displays screen:

I suspect that the problems are because of the internal 650M chip. Is there a way to maybe disable it completely?

2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & Win10

nando4 and Jaaa82 liked
ReplyQuote
psychoboy852
(@psychoboy852)
July 5, 2017 2:02 am  

Okay, so here is an update. I managed to do what I wanted by plugging the external screen into second thunderbolt input of the MacBook. And it works just like I wanted to. When I close the notebook screen, all the interface goes into the external screen. And also safari glitches that I mentioned earlier are gone too.

From what I heard, its not efficient at all to connect the monitor in this way. But, I don't know if thats the case for gaming only. I don't game, so I'm not really bothered about it. I will look into this more.

I've done some Blender btw benchmark tests with my work iMac (cpu) , home (MacBook Pro), and 1080ti. Result are quite satisfying. You can see for yourself:

2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 5, 2017 2:42 am  

Hey @psychoboy852 sorry none of us was on the forum much this extended weekend. I read through your first post and the odd behaviors you observed are glitches with the Pascal beta drivers. If the Nvidia eGPU shows full name and Metal supported in System Information, it's functional. The About this Mac overview doesn't show the eGPU unless you connect an external display via the eGPU and make it the primary screen.

Awesome results with Blender! What you're seeing is the CUDA cores of your GTX 1080 Ti eGPU at work. For this particular use, the external display doesn't have to be connected directly to the eGPU. When you run OpenGL or Metal apps for example, you'll want to connect the eGPU directly to the external display.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

psychoboy852 liked
ReplyQuote
psychoboy852
(@psychoboy852)
July 5, 2017 2:59 am  

@theitsage Thank you for a quick reply! Its good that you told me this, now I can peacefully render on my current 2013 MacBook and maybe later if I update to newer TB3 MacBook I can get even better speeds from this card. Possible? I don't know... 

p.s. This forum is probably the most valuable resource out there if you are thinking of boosting your mac with egpu. Thanks for your effort! 

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
July 31, 2017 10:55 am  
Posted by: psychoboy852

Okay, so here is an update. I managed to do what I wanted by plugging the external screen into second thunderbolt input of the MacBook. And it works just like I wanted to. When I close the notebook screen, all the interface goes into the external screen. And also safari glitches that I mentioned earlier are gone too.

From what I heard, its not efficient at all to connect the monitor in this way. But, I don't know if thats the case for gaming only. I don't game, so I'm not really bothered about it. I will look into this more.

I've done some Blender btw benchmark tests with my work iMac (cpu) , home (MacBook Pro), and 1080ti. Result are quite satisfying. You can see for yourself:

Hello pychoboy852,

I have a pretty similar setup, but with a GTX 1080 non-ti version.

Why is not efficient, in clamshell mode?? I would like to work just with the external screen, and disable the internal completely!!

What about windows? Have you tried? Cheers.

Thanks for your observations!!

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
July 31, 2017 1:25 pm  

For the clamshell mode, have you tried DisableMonitor or SwitchResX in order to disable the internal monitor?

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Velociround
(@velociround)
August 4, 2017 11:35 pm  

Been trying to install the 1080 ti on my MacBook Pro [(Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) + Akitio Node + 1080 ti + External Monitor]

I want to do exactly the same setup as you did! But I don't need to use it on macOS, I want to use it for gaming on Windows 10 with Boot Camp.

How did you get the Akitio Node (thunderbolt 3) to connect to your MBP (thunderbolt 2)?

I see you didn't get it for gaming, but would you by any chance have Windows (preferably 10) and some random game installed on your MBP, just to see if it works, and compare the performance (650GT versus 1080 Ti)?

The Akitio Node website says none of the GTX 1080 Ti models are compatible with it:

MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G GeForce GTX 1080Ti
✘ 2
  1. [redacted]
  2. When under heavy load, the overload protection of the Node kicks in and cuts off the power.

I'm very worried about spending $1000 on this setup (case + GPU) and it not working, or being too slow. I won't be able to return it.

I'm traveling abroad in order to buy this setup on the first week of October so I'm doing all of the research that I can before then, but your thread is the best I found so far (exactly the same setup)

Thanks in advance!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
August 5, 2017 1:11 am  

@Velociround, have a look at https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2012-15-macbook-pro-retina-650m-107010gbps-tb1-akitio-node-mac-oswin-10/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
psychoboy852
(@psychoboy852)
August 5, 2017 8:26 am  
Posted by: ed_co

For the clamshell mode, have you tried DisableMonitor or SwitchResX in order to disable the internal monitor?

Hey, yes I managed to work it out, intermal/external screen I mean.  Just had to move that blue bar in apple screen settings. Now when I press power button on macbook, main screen switches to external monitor automatically, then I just close the macbook pro screen.

I actually installed Windows 10 on it as well. Blender render times remain the same on both osx and windows. So I just keep osx as default when I need to work.

Also, Safari doesnt work with eGpu for some reason, so I had to install google chrome and it works perfectly.

ReplyQuote
psychoboy852
(@psychoboy852)
August 5, 2017 9:05 am  
Posted by: Velociround

Been trying to install the 1080 ti on my MacBook Pro [(Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) + Akitio Node + 1080 ti + External Monitor]

I want to do exactly the same setup as you did! But I don't need to use it on macOS, I want to use it for gaming on Windows 10 with Boot Camp.

How did you get the Akitio Node (thunderbolt 3) to connect to your MBP (thunderbolt 2)?

I see you didn't get it for gaming, but would you by any chance have Windows (preferably 10) and some random game installed on your MBP, just to see if it works, and compare the performance (650GT versus 1080 Ti)?

The Akitio Node website says none of the GTX 1080 Ti models are compatible with it:

MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X 11G GeForce GTX 1080Ti
✘ 2
  1. [redacted]
  2. When under heavy load, the overload protection of the Node kicks in and cuts off the power.

I'm very worried about spending $1000 on this setup (case + GPU) and it not working, or being too slow. I won't be able to return it.

I'm traveling abroad in order to buy this setup on the first week of October so I'm doing all of the research that I can before then, but your thread is the best I found so far (exactly the same setup)

Thanks in advance!

1) To connect to TB2 macbook I used an tb3 to tb2 adapter they sell in apple store here in HK ( https://www.apple.com/hk/shop/product/MMEL2FE/A/thunderbolt-3-usb-c-to-thunderbolt-2-adapter ) + tb2 cable ( https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD861LL/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m?fnode=8b&fs=f%3Dcable%26fh%3D4595%252B45c4 ). Make sure you get both of them, because I thought I only needed first one (adapter) , but you need second too to plug into your computer. I had to go to apple store twice because of this, lucky I live next door.

2) Yes, I have installed Windows 10 with Bootcamp and couldn't resist the temptation to try gaming. I download latest version of Doom and run it on all ultra settings with 2560 x 1440 resolution. No lags what so ever, super smooth. I cant show you because I'm super rusty with Windows, I dont even know how to do printscreen on it. But believe me, there is no lag at all, and FPS is probably very high. I don't know what this means: "When under heavy load, the overload protection of the Node kicks in and cuts off the power.", but I played few hours and didn't find any problems or power cut offs.

3) I have bought this videocard ( https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING/ ) and you can see from the photos it fits perfectly in Akitio Node. Don't worry about this. You can also download an application from ASUS and turn off those ugly led lights on the card. I dont like computers looking like christmas trees.

4) I think for me at least the scariest part was tweaking all these eGPU Setup 1.35 settings to make card visible on windows. But you only do it once and the guy ( Nando4 ) who you buy it from is very helpful and keen to reply email and help. Just make sure you follow his exact steps, you need to skip a few. Because from what I understood, for different macbooks you press different settings.

5) And one last thing, I dont know if its necessary but I'm sured its helpful. When you game or render, your macbook is overheating a lot, it always does even when I used to render on CPU. I just bought a not so expensive cooling pad, and now computer sits on it. Again, I dont know if its needed, but just touching mac when I render scares me, so I bough a cooler, and now when I touch it while rendering its not as hot as it used to be. If I was into heavy gaming I would probably buy most expensive cooler, but its up to you, maybe you'll be fine without it ( maybe ask some other people on forum, see what they think

Good luck!

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Gpufirstaid
(@gpufirstaid)
September 16, 2017 10:30 pm  

Hi psychoboy852,

I am looking into a similar set up

Did you only run the script to set this up?

You could try using gfxcardstatus to run on only your integrated graphics on the laptop.

I am very interested to see if this works so please post any updates, have you modified your setup since posting this?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote