2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Co...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [Ajay]  

RSS

Ajay
 Ajay
(@ajay)

System specs

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)

Processor 2,3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

iGPUs Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB

MacOS Catalina 10.15.5

External monitor BenQ SW320 connected via MDP on th monitor to DP on the eGPU (cable is included with monitor, and without the eGPU I used it the other way around so DP on monitor and MDP in my upper TB port)

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X

Powercolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil 8GB DDR6

Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter 

Apple TB2 cable

4K dummy adapter unknown brand (had read that this should give even better performance)

Installation steps

Easy install of the graphics card into the Razer Core X. When turned on and not connected to the MBP TB port, nothing happened, no power, no lights, nothing. I first thought the RCX was broken. Learned through research that the eGPU would start up once connected to the TB port... Strange but, let's see. Installed Purge-wrangler after disabling SIP. Didn't connect the eGPU during the install, I had read that it was better with this type of card that you install without connecting. So selected AMD and ti82 and rebooted. After reboot, I connected the eGPU et voila, the power and lights of the eGPU came on, as wel as my external SW320. Stage 1 completed! Or was it? My screen was very bright and pale. And wait, is my MBP slowing down? What is happening here? My system performance almost came to a halt and it only got back to normal speed once I disconnected the eGPU. I posted a reply on another post with almost the same build and @itsage replied almost immediately. Very kind, thank you! He pointed me towards Purge-nvda from @mac-editor ( https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mid-2014-15-inch-macbook-pro-750m-master-thread/ ) and the issue could be caused by my NVDIA iGPU in my particular Mac. I decided to run Purge-nvda and after rebooting there were no further system speed issues. Stage 2 completed! Or was it? The only thing left was a washed out very bright external monitor... I dove in system prefs and found out that in the system settings of my external monitor SW320, apparently the box High Dynamic Range was ticked, although before the installation of the eGPU, this box was unticked. After unticking, the display was back with normal, calibrated colors. Done!

Benchmarks

Unigine Valley without eGPU:

FPS 4.8 

Score 199

min FPS 3.1

Max FPS 8.3

Unigine Valley with eGPU:

FPS 70.3 

Score 2942

min FPS 23.6

Max FPS 107.6

I know this is a somewhat older benchmark test, and it doesn't use Metal rendering.

Geekbench Metal Score

Intel iris Pro: 489 (can't test the NVDIA iGPU right now because of the Purge-nvda script, will try to update later)

Powercolor AMD RX5700 XT Red Devil: 68204

Comments

I use my trusted MBP  for photo and video editing (HD video ProRes 4.2.0. only, no 4K yet). I just had to do something because performance was slowing my workflow down. In installed the eGPU today so I'm quite new with experiences but wanted to post my build since there's no build like this available at this time of writing. I just tried some editing in Premiere Pro with 3 video tracks and 5 audio tracks and it runs buttery smooth now, without proxies and in full playback mode. I will try Davinci Resolve 16 as well and update later. 

MBP retina 15, late 2013, (I7-4850HQ),16GB, TB2, Razer Core X, Powercolor AMD RX 5700 XT Red Devil, BenQ SW320

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote