2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Co...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [Ajay]  

of  2
  RSS

Ahr0n
(@ahr0n)

Thanks for your reply! Well my question is a bit technical - if I understand correctly the eGPU efficiency depends on how you want to use it and which applications you want to use for example:
 - for gaming the external display is a neccessity AND the bandwidth of TB is the crucial thing because the eGPU 'communicates' with CPU non-stop so the bandwidth is the only one bottleneck.

- for compute task such as rendering or code compilation you don't especially need the external display, you can use the headless HDMI adapter with your internal display AND there is not a huge difference between TB2 and TB3 usage because the eGPU 'communicates' with CPU only few times - at the start of compute task and at the end of it.

If you can correct me if I'm wrong I'd be happy. I just want to know if my thinking of eGPU usage is right or not. If I have a TB3 port on my Mac I'd not even bother about such things. But now I'm thinking about buying it for GPU rendering and just want to know it is the right thing to do in my case.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ahr0n
(@ahr0n)

Btw. if you'd have few minutes for a quick benchmark of Octane X renderer - you can do a simple test here:

https://egpu.io/forums/pro-applications/octane-x-metal-render-engine/

I wrote a simple instruction on how do it. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ajay
 Ajay
(@ajay)

@ahr0n

Your welcome! As far as I understand your statement about the egpu is correct, it depends what you will be using it for.

Remember that the one and only benefit of the egpu is when the output is to your external display and not to your MBP. That is because of the bandwith, which is limited with TB2 (20 to the egpu but 10 out>10 back to your MBP when you use it without an external display and try to speed up your internal gpu, this definitely slow things down way too much to be benefitting from an egpu. in this case it would be best to have a MBP or other with TB3)

- for gaming the external display is a neccessity AND the bandwidth of TB is the crucial thing because the eGPU 'communicates' with CPU non-stop so the bandwidth is the only one bottleneck.

As far as I know this is true

- for compute task such as rendering or code compilation you don't especially need the external display, you can use the headless HDMI adapter with your internal display AND there is not a huge difference between TB2 and TB3 usage because the eGPU 'communicates' with CPU only few times - at the start of compute task and at the end of it.

I don't think this is true but i have no experience except for using my egpu for video editing and the rendering via Adobe Media Encoder. This uses the egpu for rendering and it is sooo much faster than just with the internal gpu!

What would be your primary goal for using an egpu?

MBP retina 15, late 2013, (I7-4850HQ),16GB, TB2, Razer Core X, Powercolor AMD RX 5700 XT Red Devil, BenQ SW320

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ahr0n
(@ahr0n)

@ajay, I'll be making a transition from open-source CPU Renderers such as as Cycles, LuxCore (they can use GPU but on Mac it is poorly supported or even not for Cycles) to Pro Metal GPU renderers such as Octane and Redshift which will be released soon. I tried only one Metal renderer which at the moment is Radeon Pro Render and the speed compared to CPU rendering is insane even on my internal GPU.

As you can see the GPU renderers are almost starting again on Macs due to the lack of CUDA support. I'm just curios how it'd work under eGPU setup and will I lose speed when connected via TB2 vs TB3. I'm expecting a 10 to 20x boost in speed compared to my actual engines. There are of course some optimization techniques for faster rendering but there's nothing worse than waiting few minutes to check if that little 'change' really changed sth or not. GPU renderers are a different league. Once you tried one you don't want to go back to the classic slow CPU engines.

No plans for gaming. Definitely, I don't even think about it, have some old PC games so I'm rarely and occasionally an old-school gamer : -

ReplyQuote
 of  2