mid-2014 15" MBP Retina GT750M + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway 650 via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS 10.13.4 [ricardokuster]  

RSS

ricardokuster
(@ricardokuster)
May 4, 2018 3:34 pm  

Hardware

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 — 16Gb RAM
iGPU : Intel Iris Pro 1.5 Gb + dGPU : NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2Gb
macOS High Sierra 10.13.4

— eGPU Enclosure : Sonnet Breakaway 650 (TB3)
— eGPU Card : Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64 8Gb (Air Cooling)
— Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter
— Apple TB2 cable
HDMI or Display Port External Monitor — (Apple 27” Thunderbolt Display unfortunately not working on this setup because it needs the discrete GPU to drive it) — apparently there’s no solution for this … so I need to run the script (purge-nvda.sh) to enable disable the “gaming mode”…

Installation steps

1. I needed to remove the fan from the Sonnet Breakaway 650 in order to insert this massive GPU. After installing the GPU, I put the fan back again.
2. To get everything working on macOS 10.13.4 :
purge-wrangler.sh — to enable the TB1/TB2 port on macOS >= 10.13.4
purge-nvda.sh — to disable the discrete GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M) : in order to not generate conflict between the NVIDIA and the VEGA 64 (AMD) — otherwise the external monitor connected to the eGPU displays a black screen and the OS gets really slow.
3. Plug and play !

Final comments

Since I’m a Mac user 🙂 I could never really play games in medium/high settings. Now I can play in ultra high, and it is just amazing !

My favourite games : Cities Skylines, Batman Arkham City, DIRT Rally.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) — iGPU : Intel Iris Pro 1.5 Gb — dGPU : NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2Gb — eGPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64 8Gb Air Cooling @16Gbps — Sonnet Breakaway 650 — TB3 to TB2 adapter — TB2 cable (2m) — macOS 10.13.4

mt8258, nando4 and mac_editor liked
ReplyQuote
Hichy92
(@hichy92)
May 28, 2018 1:15 am  

Hello,

i have the same MacBook Pro as you. Do you advice to buy an akitio with an AMD Radeon rx 580 (do you think it will work with macos 10.13.4 or higher) or to buy the new MacBook Pro 2018? Thank you for your help

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ricardokuster
(@ricardokuster)
June 5, 2018 8:03 am  

Hi @hichy92,

most of the AMD cards will work natively with >= macOS 10.13.4 (and now .5), yours it will.

I don’t have an Akitio so I cannot advise you on that way. Apparently for this graphic card, the power source of the akitio will support, but inform you better if this eGPU enclosure supports your desired graphic card on the manufacturer page.

The issue with our machine is that it has a Nvidia card also, so it generates conflict with the external AMD.
The purge-nvda software disables this Nvidia card, so it will load only with the AMD eGPU.

No need to buy the new MacBook in order to run this setup.

Kind regards,

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) — iGPU : Intel Iris Pro 1.5 Gb — dGPU : NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2Gb — eGPU : Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX Vega 64 8Gb Air Cooling @16Gbps — Sonnet Breakaway 650 — TB3 to TB2 adapter — TB2 cable (2m) — macOS 10.13.4

ReplyQuote
Hichy92
(@hichy92)
June 5, 2018 8:40 am  

Hi,
first of all thank you for your help.
i have another question.For exemple now I have done the installation with the external graphic card , and I want to disconnected from the Mac and take the computer to work at the university, how I have to make it work?

macbook pro retina 2014

thank you for your answer

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ricardokuster
(@ricardokuster)
June 5, 2018 11:44 am  

1.You can eject the eGPU at the top bar.
2. After you’ll need via terminal, to uninstall purge-nvda patch and reboot, so your machine can turn on the Nvidia dGPU again.
3. once you get home and want to turn on the eGPU, just run the purge-nvda again.

you need to run this every time...

otherwise buy the new MacBook Pro 😉

best,

ReplyQuote
Hichy92
(@hichy92)
June 5, 2018 11:50 am  

And Do you know how to uninstall purge-nada patch and how to reinstall it ?

And do you think with an AMD egpu we can run any software ?

Finally an AMD egpu with a macbook pro retina can work with the new macOS 10.14 Mojave.

Thank you

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
June 5, 2018 12:52 pm  

@hichy92 Please read the instructions for purge-nvda (link in my signature). You can run it and choose uninstall, and vice versa as needed with ease.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
raybanner
(@raybanner)
Eminent Member
July 13, 2018 6:17 pm  

Excellent guide. After several tries with my MBP Late 2013 with 750m, I will give this another try with your guide and all the updated scripts.
I will use the RX580 and the new Razer Core X for this tryout. 🙂

Edit
Actually I cancelled the orders and ordered the Blackmagic eGPU from Apple and will try the scripts. It costs me in total 80,00€ more, but I wanted to go with the RX580 anyway. There is no change on the GPU possbile with the Blackmagic. I will report back.

ReplyQuote
ricardokuster
(@ricardokuster)

ReplyQuote
honkono
(@honkono)
August 1, 2018 12:53 pm  

Thanks for a great guide! Still have some questions:
I'm helping my son to set up his Macbook Pro 15" (late 2013) Thunderbolt 2.  OSX 10.12.6
He is playing most of his games via Bootcamp/Windows 10 where the graphic boost is needed.
Will your setup work "as is" in windows/bootcamp without any purge files installed?
Ideally he want to use OSX partition without the eGPU - and the Bootcamp/Windows partition with the eGPU only.
It would be great if this worked without uninstalling/re-installing purgefiles every time he switches between OS?
Also do you know if a 24inch Apple Display will work?  (it's the version before 27" thunderbolt)
Thanks! H

ReplyQuote
(@christian3006)
August 25, 2018 12:28 pm  

I have also a question. Lets say I dont want to use my descrete nvidia graphic card anymore. Is the system hotplug hotunplug able? So is it possible to just put in clamshell mode and insert the egpu cable?

ReplyQuote
MaxMood
(@maxmood)
October 13, 2018 2:48 pm  

Hi

I have the same setup as you. Well actually the Sonnet Breakaway is in the post at the moment! But, I just saw that the Razer Core X is half the price of the Sonnet and was wondering if you knew or anyone else know if that would be a better buy for me please?

Thanks
Max

ReplyQuote
(@rax_rose)
October 19, 2018 1:47 pm  

Hey 

I done also so same purge wrangler setup. the eGPU works fine ( rx580 /Sonnet Box) . But The MacBook uses stil the Intel Iris. Any Way to switch the Intel Iris Card off ? 

Thanks 

Rax 

ReplyQuote
(@andy_hoebeke)
December 8, 2018 2:31 pm  

Hi, did you try this setup in windows/bootcamp ? 
This post is marked as mac+win ... Unsure of the accuracy since it isn't explicitly mentioned in here.

ReplyQuote