late-2016 15" Macbook Pro RP460 + Titan [email protected] (Razer Core) + Win10 [votehart407]^ // TB3-CPU and TB3-PCH comparison  

RSS

votehart407
(@votehart407)
Eminent Member
May 1, 2017 7:44 pm  

Hi Everyone,

I recently began using the MBP 2016 with Core. I had been using a MSI GS40 with good success but the laptop was far from ideal for daily use. Great computer but the screen and interface is not nearly the quality of Apple.

I have been doing some recent benchmarks and the MBP is performing better over the GS40 and Razer Blade. In some games I am seeing 10 to 15 fps increases.

3DMark Ultra - Razer Core with Titan X Pascal

GS40 -  6070

Blade - 5889

MBP - 6190

MBP (Titan overclocked) - 6683

3440x1440 - Highest Settings - No AA unless noted

• Far Cry - 70 to 90 
  • Tomb Raider 2016 - 74
  • Tomb Raider 2014 - 108  
  • Unigine 4.0 (2560x1440) - Ultra - 4AA - Scored 2829 and 112 fps
  • Sleeping Dogs - 101
  • Witcher 3 - 60 (Griffin Scene)
  • Just Cause - 65 to 90
  • Deus Ex MD Full AA - Benchmark - 43 
  • Deus Ex MD No AA - Gameplay - 60 to 90
  • Shadow of Mordor - 100
  • Shadow of Mordor - Full AA - 90
  • Grid Autosport - 106
  • Division - 57
  • Far Cry 4 - 70 to 90
  • GTA 2015 - 80 to 90

Titan X Pascal - Overclocked

• Shadow of Mordor - Full AA - 109 (19 fps increase)
  • Tomb Raider 2016 - 80 (6 fps increase)
  • Grid Autosoort - No change
  • Far Cry 4 (80 to 110) - No AA - I checked and rechecked. (15 fps increase)
  • Sleeping Dogs - no change
  • Tomb Raider 2014 - 145 (36 fps increase)
  • Witcher 3 - No change
  • Division - All settings maxed 71 (14 fps increase). Oddly, the previous non-overclocked benchmark ran lower with AA turned off.  
  • More to come... 

Implementation Steps

I followed some of the implementation guides on this forum page and Dave2D. It was basically trial and error until I figured it out. I have not loaded any custom software and or had issues with DSDT. Here are my steps. Noob style....

1. Fresh install of Windows 10 
    1. I did buy a activation code. I am not certain if it made the difference but I was not able to get it to work with the free version. Plus it gives me more control of the UI. 
  2. Update to latest Windows version and update any Apple Bootcamp software. 
  3. Connect the Core 
    1. Let Synapse install completely
  4. Download Nvidia GeForce Experience
    1. Then install the latest driver for the GPU in the Core (install this process whether the latest driver is already installed)
    2. I was not able to install the driver directly. The driver would only take after GeForces was installed. 
  5. Go to Device by Connection and disable (A129)
  6. This is where it is a little tricky...
    1. Go to the PCI Bridge above the external GPU and disable. You will hear an error sound. Then enable the same PCI Bridge. 
    2. This step I do every time. Not ideal but a minimal step. 
  7. Then reboot. Then one of three things happens. The third option has become the standard in the last week.
    1. External monitor turns on,  MBP screen turns off, and I'm golden  
    2. Nothing happens and I reboot. Windows boot logo freezes on MBP screen. Monitor turns on and I am golden. 
    3. Complete the reboot and nothing happens. I unplug and then plug back in the Core. I am golden. This third option allows me to hot plug the Core, put the system to sleep overnight and is pretty cool. 
  8. Thats it. 

I am trying the Core's USB and ethernet ports this week. I will post if successful. Ideally, I will be able to plug one cable in and all the other peripherals are connected to the Core.

Overview

My point of view is the MBP with EGPU is an excellent set up for work and play. I travel for work and a laptop is required in my life. The ability to avoid paying $2000 to $2500 for a computer I only play video games is well worth the dollar to performance breakdown vs a desktop set up. As it stands my gaming set up is complete. 

Quick Update - 5/5/17

I am currently plugging in the Core waiting for Synapse to start. Then restart. Once signed in I unplug the Core and then plug back in. The external monitor pops up and I am good to go. 

MBP beginning to see power drain when plugged in. Showing 84% currently. Ok, turned out the plug came unattached. Interesting it went two hours with only 16% drop in power when only running off the Core. 

Only regret is not waiting for the 1080 TI. It hurts a little.... 🙂

Razer Blade 14 7700hq UHD - Razer Core X Modified with Kracken G12 and SFF 600w PSU - Titan X Pascal

ed_co, ikir, goalque and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
enjoy
(@enjoy)
Reputable Member
May 1, 2017 9:45 pm  

Great setup, you can post some pictures of your build, its great that eGPU is what you need. Your build is a lot of cash but it's good to have some premium eGPU setups in our "Implementation Guides". You can also add more info how you run the setup if you have time to that of course 🙂

Your setup is all that modern gamers wants - MacBook Pro for work and travel + great 4k & VR gaming at home - nice job 🙂

MAC can game ...... with eGPU only!

ϟ AKiTiO Thunder2 + EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SC Gaming (macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10)
 MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Later 2013) 3.2GHz Quad Core Intel i7-4750HQ / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 256GB SSD + 1TB
mini eGPUPCI Express vs. ThunderboltMac CAN gameGaming Laptops vs. MacBook Pro with eGPU

ReplyQuote
votehart407
(@votehart407)
Eminent Member
May 1, 2017 10:01 pm  

Thank you. Yes, not the cheapest set up. Let me set up the office (clean a bit) and I will post some pics. 

I would of made the MBP purchase either way. With the new 1080 ti now available the additional set up cost is &1200 to $1300. This is a few hundred less for similar desktop performance.

I will post the set up guide also.

Razer Blade 14 7700hq UHD - Razer Core X Modified with Kracken G12 and SFF 600w PSU - Titan X Pascal

enjoy and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
QuadX
(@quadx)
May 2, 2017 4:45 pm  

Do you have an issue with the USB on the Razer Core? I have a very similar setup except with an EVGA 1080 FTW. I get frequent USB disconnects while in game which makes it unusable.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
votehart407
(@votehart407)
Eminent Member
May 2, 2017 5:51 pm  

I did have those issues and after a couple false starts I reinstallled bootcamp/windows 10 and tried again. After these steps I still get the connect/disconnect audio alert but no pop up. Once the Core is connected on the external monitor the audio alerts go away. In game I have no issues with crashing since the second attempt. In fact, I was able to hot plug a SSD and game controller without issue later in the session  

I have (A129) disabled. After connecting the Core I disable and enable the Intel PCI Controller above the GPU. This is where it gets unpredictable. One of three things happens  

2. Nothing happens and I reboot. Windows boot logo freezes on MBP screen. Monitor turns on and I am golden. 

3. Complete the reboot and nothing happens. I unplug and then plug back in the Core. I am golden. This third option allows me to hot plug the Core, put the system to sleep overnight and is pretty cool. 

I will post some implementation pics later. 

Ideally I will be able to switch between OS with the Core attached at some point in the future.

Thank you

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
May 3, 2017 12:38 am  

Awesome rig!! There is nothing more expensive?? LOL

The only drawback is the TI82 chipset in the Razer Core IMHO.

You use it for work too, what kind of apps are you using??

Hope is worth it!!

Cheers

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
votehart407
(@votehart407)
Eminent Member
May 3, 2017 1:45 am  

I use the MBP for business. I work in software sales and travel about half the time. The MBP is the best user experience I could find. No apps just gluttonous. The 460 is doable for most games. Excellent battery life, screen, keyboard and all the other features made the MBP a bucket list upgrade. 

Truthfully, I would never build a system like this intentionally. I bought the Core and GTX 1080 for the GS 40 back in June 2016. The GTX 1080 was less than I wanted and the only upgrade was the Titan. I'm new to PC Gaming GPU and did not realize a TI was due to be released a few months later. 

Never regret! 

By the way... is there a EGPU you would suggest?

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
May 3, 2017 10:53 am  

Do you know that there is a refreshed Titan XP after the launching of TI? Because if it is the latest XP, the TI version was just released several days after...

Cheers.

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
votehart407
(@votehart407)
Eminent Member
May 3, 2017 11:21 am  

Thank you!!! It came together nicely thanks to this forum.

Yes, I saw the new XP was released. I'm pretty much done with upgrades for a awhile. Everything is humming and the games I am playing currently run great. No need for another purchase. Not to mention I felt rather noob when I saw the price/performance of the 1080 ti compared to my version of the Titan.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
ohthatgaryko
(@ohthatgaryko)
May 8, 2017 10:50 pm  

Awesome setup man.  Could you be so kind as to provide the steps you took to get your rig working?

It sounds like you installed windows 10 (pro?) via bootcamp (normal installation?).  Then you disabled (A129) in device manager.  Did you do anything else other than installing the nvidia and synapse drivers?  Did you have to mess with any of the DSDT stuff?

Looks like you have your mac screen blank while running, so you were able to get the core to output only to the external monitor on startup?

Sorry for the interrogation 😀

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
votehart407
(@votehart407)
Eminent Member
May 8, 2017 11:45 pm  

Hi Ohthatgaryko,

No worries... Hope this helps. 

I followed some of the implementation guides on this forum page and Dave2D. It was basically trial and error until I figured it out. I have not loaded any custom software and or had issues with DSDT. Here are my steps. Noob style....

1. Fresh install of Windows 10 
    1. I did buy a activation code. I am not certain if it made the difference but I was not able to get it to work with the free version. Plus it gives me more control of the UI. 
  2. Update to latest Windows version and update any Apple Bootcamp software. 
  3. Connect the Core 
    1. Let Synapse install completely
  4. Download Nvidia GeForce Experience
    1. Then install the latest driver for the GPU in the Core (install this process whether the latest driver is already installed)
    2. I was not able to install the driver directly. The driver would only take after GeForces was installed. 
  5. Go to Device by Connection and disable (A129)
  6. This is where it is a little tricky...
    1. Go to the PCI Bridge above the external GPU and disable. You will hear an error sound. Then enable the same PCI Bridge. 
    2. This step I do every time. Not ideal but a minimal step. 
  7. Then reboot. Then one of three things happens. The third option has become the standard in the last week.
  8. Thats it. 
  9. Update - Please Read.... I am able to now disable and enable the Titan in the Device Manager under Display Adapters. This allowed both screens to be active throughout the session. In this set up the Titan will drive both screens. 

I am trying the Core's USB and ethernet ports this week. I will post if successful. Ideally, I will be able to plug one cable in and all the other peripherals are connected to the Core.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
votehart407
(@votehart407)
Eminent Member
July 20, 2017 4:09 pm  

You want me to post again? What portion? How can I help?

By the way... I hit a 6800 plus on a recent 3DMark Ultra score. I had trouble posting the pic. 

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote