mid-2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.2 & Win10 [Mitch]^  

RSS

Mitch
(@mitch)
April 5, 2017 8:13 pm  

As an early adopter i am very happy, that the first retina Macbook pro with 16GB RAM is still fulfilling my needs as a power user. Only the GPU is the downside but with a new one it can still serve for a few years.

So I decided to go for a Gtx 980ti that is supported in MacOS for the Creative Suite and in Windows for 3D Modelling and Rendering (GPU Rendering with CUDA would benefit the most).

I chose the akitio Node because of the thunderbolt 3 (which makes it future proof for a new laptop) and the ready to plug power supply and bought a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt adapter.

With goalque's (thanks for that!) automate-eGPU script i immediately got a third GPU in MacOS. When i use the Gtx 980ti on the internal screen it is jerky, i guess because of the thunderbolt 1 connection. The only issue is that i have two Nvidia GPUs in parallel and programs choose one of those in unexpected ways - which leads me to my problem concerning Windows in Bootcamp Mode. 

When i first booted Windows 10 with the Node plugged in the device manager showed a "Microsoft Display Driver" with a "!". Then I installed Nvidia Gameplay Driver and since then it shows the correct Gtx 980ti with a "!" error 35. At this point don't install intel thunderbolt driver because this destroyed the boot sector somehow and i had to reinstall Windows. 

So i gues for both operating systems it would be beneficial to disable the dedicated GPU when the eGPU is connected. I read many posts and i installed refind but apart from a different start menu i got nothing. I am completely new to UEFI and i am also an unexperienced programmer. I used the apple_set_os.efi on an usb stick, but it was ment for laptop without discrete GPU. So I wanted to manipulate it. When i open an .efi file with a code editor it just shows strange signs. I don't know how to program an .efi boot file. I wish there was some more user friendly way to disable a GPU.

Thanks for helping me! 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
April 7, 2017 1:05 pm  

Good day to all,

I've exactly the same configuration of Mitch (MacBook Pro mid 2012 tb1 + node + evga 980ti  sc with Sierra 10.12.2). Yesterday I've tried to install the node and the graphic card in windows I've the same problem of Mitch: 

"When i first booted Windows 10 with the Node plugged in the device manager showed a “Microsoft Display Driver” with a “!”. Then I installed Nvidia Gameplay Driver and since then it shows the correct Gtx 980ti with a “!” "

Now, I'm happy to know that with Goalque's automate-egpu script the node and the cards will work on mac, I will try this afternoon to apply.

Can someone help us on the Windows side?

Thanks you!

MacBook Pro Retina(mid 2012, Nvidia Geforce GT 650M) + Akitio Node + Nvidia GTX980TI , MacOs+Win10.

MacBook Pro (mid 2018, i9, 32gb, Radeon Pro 560X) + Akitio Node + waiting for Nvidia solution

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
April 8, 2017 1:38 pm  

a little update: After the test i confirm that my configuration is now working on OsX side (thank you a lot goalque for the script). Windows side is  still not working.

MacBook Pro Retina(mid 2012, Nvidia Geforce GT 650M) + Akitio Node + Nvidia GTX980TI , MacOs+Win10.

MacBook Pro (mid 2018, i9, 32gb, Radeon Pro 560X) + Akitio Node + waiting for Nvidia solution

ReplyQuote
Mitch
(@mitch)
April 8, 2017 2:19 pm  

somehow we have a similar problem like the macbook pro 2014:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/macbook-pro-2014-15-gt750m-not-detecting-akitio-node-in-windows-10/

but i couldn't work it out to disable the dedicated GPU

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
April 11, 2017 2:20 pm  

Update: I've disabled the 650m but now windows does not recognize none of the graphic cards (the iris one integrated card it's not founded). In the end... now windows side is not working at all (the screen freezes at the os selection).

I think that I will have to install again windows os. Now I will await for some news before proceeding

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
April 13, 2017 7:15 pm  

Hi!

maybe this can help us  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2012-15-mbpr-gt650m-gtx106010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win10-enjoy/

the @nando4's DIY eGPU setup 1.35 maybe can be the solution for windows side for our config

I've asked directly to Nando by mail and very gently he reply that

eGPU Setup 1.35 has been used successfully on a GT650M 2012 Macbook Pro to resolve error 12/35.

I want try (when I will have some time)

ed_co liked
ReplyQuote
Mitch
(@mitch)
April 13, 2017 8:57 pm  

Great news - that gives hope! I am currently travelling without my macbook and would appreciate GPU power for upcoming projects. 

ed_co liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
April 21, 2017 11:18 pm  
Posted by: nakronne

Hi!

maybe this can help us  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2012-15-mbpr-gt650m-gtx106010gbps-tb1-akitio-thunder2-win10-enjoy/

the @nando4's DIY eGPU setup 1.35 maybe can be the solution for windows side for our config

I've asked directly to Nando by mail and very gently he reply that

eGPU Setup 1.35 has been used successfully on a GT650M 2012 Macbook Pro to resolve error 12/35.

I want try (when I will have some time)

This could be nice news!! Can someone confirm?? nakronne, Mitch?? Should be great to know if this could solve the problem...

I have a Macbook pro retina 15" early 2013 with GT650M and I preordered Mantiz Venus, and I would like to use it with 1070/1080... and should be great to know before I purchase the graphics card...

Cheers!!

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
April 22, 2017 12:44 pm  

Hi to all, good news.

The nando4's DIY eGPU setup 1.35 has worked for me in Windows 10 side. My config is MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) + GT650M + akitio Node + adapter TB3-TB2+ Evga GTX 980ti 6GB+ bootcamp WINDOWS 10. I was blocked at error (code 35).

Now the error is finally solved, the 980ti is well recognized in win10:

I've purchased by @nando4 the DIY eGPU setup 1.35, on eBay (15 $, here the link)

I've followed the instruction the Nando sent me for my specific configuration (good and quick communication with him by mail)

You have to install the program, reboot and follow the fews instructions, in a menu based boot menu like this: 

reboot in wind 10 (following the instruction). Thats'all!

All is worked well

I hope that this can help you.

At the end I really want to say thanks to @goalque and @nando4 for their work.

enjoy liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
April 22, 2017 2:25 pm  

Awesome!!

And you need to do it, anytime that you boot in windows, or just once?

Thanks

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX 1080Ti Gaming [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
April 22, 2017 2:54 pm  

Hi @ed_co , yes every time you need windows you have to boot with the option DIY eGPU setup 1.35 (it's substantially a new option that will appear on your screen when you boot in windows side)

but only the first time you have to do the all setting: the eGPU setup remember the last choices that you have done

so, after the first access, you have to only select the right option at the boot, before enter in win10 (all is well explicated in the instructions)

and your macbook pro will restart in windows with the card well recognized, it's fast.

ed_co liked
ReplyQuote
Mitch
(@mitch)
April 22, 2017 10:22 pm  

Hey, you are my hero! 😉

I will be returning from travelling in two days and looking forward to setup the egpu for a rendering project. I already bought DIY eGPU setup. As we have the very same setup can you send me the instructions from nandos.

Thanks!!! Great!!!

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
April 26, 2017 5:18 pm  

Hi @ed_co , yes every time you need windows you have to boot with the option DIY eGPU setup 1.35 (it's substantially a new option that will appear on your screen when you boot in windows side)

but only the first time you have to do the all setting: the eGPU setup remember the last choices that you have done

so, after the first access, you have to only select the right option at the boot, before enter in win10 (all is well explicated in the instructions)

and your macbook pro will restart in windows with the card well recognized, it's fast.

Hi @nakronne, but, do you need to use rEfit or something like that? Or just with that it will work? Thanks.

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
April 26, 2017 7:16 pm  

Hi to all!

Hey @Mitch, here the copy/paste of the full instructions for our configuration:

2. Installation can be summarized as:

- double-click the above file and extract it to c:\eGPU

- navigate to c:\eGPU, right click "setup-disk-image" and select "Run as administrator".

- Rebooting will now show a "Setup 1.35" bootitem in the Win7/8/10 (or XP if still using it) bootmenu.

- Select Setup 1.35, then Setup 1.35->menu-based to boot a pre-boot environment to configure your eGPU.

3. For a 2012 GT650M Macbook, proceed to
- Reboot, selec Setup 1.35->menu-based
- Select PCI compaction->legacy mode (checked)
- Select PCI compaction->closeunusedbridges (checked)
- Select PCI compaction->Run compact -> All except SATA+...
- Select Chainloader->Test Run
- Select Windows

check the status of the eGPU. If is now working, then from this point onwards whenever you wish to use the eGPU reboot via Setup 1.35->automated startup via startup.bat

thats all! There's no others info.

@ed_co:

Hi @nakronne, but, do you need to use rEfit or something like that? Or just with that it will work?

no! I've installed win 10 with bootcamp and the DIY eGPU Setup has worked alone

I hope that this can help you

ed_co liked
ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
April 27, 2017 12:48 am  

@ed_co:

Hi @nakronne, but, do you need to use rEfit or something like that? Or just with that it will work?

no! I've installed win 10 with bootcamp and the DIY eGPU Setup has worked alone

I hope that this can help you

It is really helpful thank you. I think that is the best solution for the windows problem!! Cheers.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
April 27, 2017 3:13 pm  

@nakonne Do you experience a POST issue when booting into either OS (no sound, doesn't boot with NVIDIA eGPU connected)?

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
May 3, 2017 9:59 am  

No post issue. I've not tested for long time the windows os side but all seems to be ok.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
May 3, 2017 10:57 am  

@nakonne, are you able to install the DIY eGPU setup in a usb pendrive? Just for avoiding the need of reinstall windows with MBR...

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
May 3, 2017 11:05 am  

Hi @ed_co

Sorry, but I've no idea of this, I've tried only with win10 installed by bootcamp.

maybe the creator of DIY eGPU can help you for this doubt

best

ReplyQuote
ozzy
 ozzy
(@ozzy)
Trusted Member
May 3, 2017 12:48 pm  

Hi @nakronne and @Mitch,

Don't know how I missed this before.  I've just got an eGPU setup for my mid-2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina 650M.  I've got the Akitio Node via TB3->TB2 adapter and a GTX1070.  Works perfectly (and easily) on the Mac OS side.  However, I've got issues getting it to work in Windows.  I have the error 35 problem now.  I've installed the DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 and been communicating with Nando about it, but can't seem to get it to work.  The challenge is that if I start the computer with the eGPU connected, the DIY program will show on the external monitor, and then when I try to open will just go to a black screen with some green lines blinking at the top.  And if I start the computer without the eGPU connected, the DIY program will run properly and work on the internal screen, but it won't detect the eGPU (hot plugging doesn't work).  More details are in this thread:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2012-15-macbook-pro-retina-650m-107010gbps-tb1-akitio-node-mac-oswin-10/

The only thing I can tell is the difference from you two is having the 1070 vs. 980.  Would love to ask you a couple questions to get more specific on how you were able to get this to work:

• What is your exact boot sequence in Windows (e.g. Node on, monitor on, node connected to computer before hitting power button?  Node on, monitor off, node connected to computer before hitting power button?  Node on, monitor on, node not connected to computer before hitting power button and then connected at the chainloader screen, etc.)?
  • When you run the DIY eGPU setup menu, did it run on the internal display, or the eGPU connected external display?
  • When the chainloader loads now and you need to select automated startup, does it show up on the internal display or the external display?
  • What version of BIOS/EFI firmware does your MacBook Pro have? (I'm not actually sure how to check)
  • What version of firmware does the Node have?

Thanks for the help!

2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
May 3, 2017 1:51 pm  

Hi @ed_co

Sorry, but I've no idea of this, I've tried only with win10 installed by bootcamp.

maybe the creator of DIY eGPU can help you for this doubt

best

How do you install it with Bootcamp with MBR partition having GPT??

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
May 4, 2017 12:25 pm  

Hi @ozzy

What is your exact boot sequence in Windows (e.g. Node on, monitor on, node connected to computer before hitting power button?  Node on, monitor off, node connected to computer before hitting power button?  Node on, monitor on, node not connected to computer before hitting power button and then connected at the chainloader screen, etc.)

Node on, monitor on, both connected to computer before hitting power button

• When you run the DIY eGPU setup menu, did it run on the internal display, or the eGPU connected external display?

on the connected display. Have you tried to connect an external display at the startup? if not this maybe can be the solution of your problem 

• When the chainloader loads now and you need to select automated startup, does it show up on the internal display or the external display?

external

• What version of BIOS/EFI firmware does your MacBook Pro have? (I’m not actually sure how to check)

I dont know, I'm sorry

• What version of firmware does the Node have?

Good question. I'm in travel and without the node now, and I can't check. But the node is arrived in april and I have not updated the firmware. The node has worked in OS X side without updating the firmware, only by running goalque script

when I return i will give you the firmware version. Good luck!

Hey ed_co:

How do you install it with Bootcamp with MBR partition having GPT??

I dont know what is GPT and I'm not sure of what is a MBR partition. I'm sorry but I'm not an expert. I've installed bootcamp in the usually mode i think, following the instruction given by the software.  

ReplyQuote
ozzy
 ozzy
(@ozzy)
Trusted Member
May 5, 2017 12:42 am  

Thanks @nakronne!  I just got it to work with some extra help for Nando.  Will write up the specific instructions in my thread but it meant I was able to run the eGPU DIY 1.35 on the external screen without it crashing (which solved all my problems).

2012 15" Macbook Pro Retina GT650M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
nakronne
(@nakronne)
May 5, 2017 6:09 am  

Ok, I'm glad that you have solved @ozzy

ReplyQuote
nperei
(@nperei)
May 12, 2017 1:43 pm  

Hi Everyone I have read this thread. Notice not much user who own 2012 MBP retina 15, I would like to know how reliable using ogpu DIY Setup 1.35 ?  is there other way around it get it work it ? I have. already got setup Akitio Node with 980 Ti with 2012 Retina MacBook. On bootcamp Windows 10 I did get error 35 when click on 980 Ti in Device Manager.   

thanks 

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 12, 2017 2:14 pm  

@nperei, GT650M Macbooks have had error 12/35 resolved successfully with eGPU Setup 1.35 on several example systems listed in the implementations table as well as offline.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
nperei
(@nperei)
May 13, 2017 1:02 am  

@nando4 thanks I just ordered DIY Setup 1.35 

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote