2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS ...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.6 & Linux Mint 19 & Win10 [nu_ninja]  

of  2
  RSS

nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@iamrutsch

No problem with the latest windows version for me. If you continue having disk issues you might want to replace the hard drive flex cable. It's a part thats known to go bad on this model (the only issue I've had with this good old macbook).

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
iamrutsch
(@iamrutsch)

Ah that's a good suggestion. I've been using the SSD in my optical drive thus far but might move it to the main bay and replace the cable. Thanks for getting back to me.

Mid-2012 MacBook Pro (13inch)
AMD RX480 - Akitio Node Pro

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

Small update: I've been playing with OpenCore to load the DSDT override. This doesn't necessarily add anything new, except that OpenCore seems to be better suited to real macs compared to Clover so it may be less likely to mess things up.

To set it up, I formatted a USB drive as HFS+ and mounted the EFI partition of the USB drive. So if the command diskutil list shows the USB drive as /dev/disk3 then you can mount the EFI partition with

sudo diskutil mount /dev/disk3s1

I used a USB for testing, but you could add it to the EFI partition on the main boot drive for a more permanent solution.

I then downloaded OpenCore 0.5.8 from the releases and copied the EFI folder from the OpenCore download over to the root of the EFI partition. In the resulting location /EFI/EFI/OC I added my custom config.plist (Google drive link) and added the dsdt.aml to the folder /EFI/EFI/OC/ACPI. You can then select the OpenCore USB drive at boot and boot into windows from the OpenCore menu. The DSDT override should be loaded and this should result in the onboard sound working for this model macbook.

I haven't seen anyone else's config.plist so I posted mine here to help others that want to try OpenCore or so that someone can point out anything weird I'm doing by mistake.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nu_ninja, Thank you for this update and sharing the config file. OpenCore has become a very good boot loader for Macs. I've been using it with the Mac Pro 5,1 to run Catalina and Thunderbolt 3 testing. Glad to hear it's useful for eGPU application too.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

nu_ninja liked
ReplyQuote
 of  2