Setup & Software Discussions
2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTi...

2012 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.14.3 & Win10 [emanuelediba]  

RSS

emanuelediba
(@emanuelediba)
Eminent Member

System specs

• Mid-2012 15" MacBook Pro retina (Nvidia GT650m + Intel HD4000)
  • macOS Mojave 10.14.3 / Windows 10 1803
  • 21" Benq 1080p monitor

eGPU hardware

Hardware pictures
Coming soon

Installation steps

- macOS Mojave 10.14.3

UPDATE: Working with macOS Catalina 10.15

The setup on macOS Mojave was pretty easy and straight forward. You just need two scripts: purge-wrangler and purge-nvda. After the installation of these two scripts (you can install them only if you disable SIP, follow the guides for the details) everything just worked, the eGPU gets recognized by the system and an icon on the top bar appears telling, in fact, that we are using an eGPU. These is what I am using at this moment for macOS, maybe I'm going to try automate-eGPU-EFI too.

purge-wrangler
purge-nvda

- Windows 10 

The setup on Windows 10 was much more complicated, in fact if it wasn't for this guide. I don't think I would have been able to get Windows 10 to work. First of all Windows 10 MUST be installed in UEFI mode, since the RX 580 can't boot in BIOS boot mode (it displays a black screen and doesn't output anything). Windows 10 can be installed on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro without making the partition with Bootcamp Assistant. It needs to be used to create the Windows 10 bootable media, but the partition must be done via Disk Utility: create a partition on the MacBooks SSD (pay attention that if you are using APFS you need to partition the drive and not create a volume inside the apfs container) and format it in HFS+. Make sure to get the bootcamp drivers too from Bootcamp Assistant. After having created the Windows 10 USB drive and the partition, plug the usb drive into the Mac, and power the machine up while pressing the options/alt key. Now the most important step: select the "EFI Boot" entry and not the "Windows" one, so that Windows will be installed in UEFI mode. After the installations DO NOT connect the Mac to a network, just skip through the setup and get to the Desktop. Now we need to install the nvidia drivers provided into the bootcamp drivers folder (WindowsSupport). After the installations of the nvidia drivers, reboot, and after the reboot in device manager, under the graphics cards section you should see the GT 650m and a Microsoft Basic Display adapter, this is the configuration that we need to keep in order to get everything working. We need to prevent the installation of the Intel HD 4000 graphics, since Windows 10 is going to automatically download the drivers and install them. You can follow this guide to prevent the drivers installation . After having blocked the Intel HD 4000 drivers installation, we need to install the bootcamp drivers: here I had some issues in my initial experience, because after installing these drivers (keep in mind that you need to prevent the Intel HD graphics driver installation, that are integrated in the Bootcamp Drivers, I've just deleted them from the folder) I had frequent BSODs, and the installation was basically unusuable, so I proceeded by installing manually the drivers from the bootcamp folder to keep track if some particular driver gave me the BSODs issue. I haven't even installed them all, just the Cirrus, Broadcom, the Intel Chipset utility and the Intel ME. The basics for the eGPU to work. At this point we can proceed by doing a DSDT Override by following this guide. Creating a DSDT is pretty easy, if you carefully follow the guide, I used the Intel Method in Step 1. After creating the DSDT Override (basically the dsdt-modified.aml file in the c:\dsdt folder) you need to use automate-eGPU-EFI. Create the USB Drive easily with @mac_editor script and then rename the "dsdt-modified.aml" file as "DSDT.aml" and put it into the bootable usb key used for automate-eGPU-EFI in this folder: \EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\WINDOWS. After that, you can boot the Mac pressing the option key, and select "EFI Boot" in the boot manager, making sure it is the USB Drive with automate-eGPU-EFI. In the screen that appears just press "q" and select to boot windows. At this point you should have output from the eGPU on your external screen and you can proceed installing the AMD drivers (19.1.3 Adrenalin in my case). Now you can enjoy the added eGPU power!

Benchmarks
macOS Geekbench Score
macOS Luxmark Score
macOS Unigine Heaven Score

Comments : The added performance from the eGPU is amazing. I had a Desktop Gaming PC that I had to get rid of, and adding an eGPU to my Mac was the smartest solution. I can play every game I played before on my gaming pc just as fine, I have more processing power for eventual renderings, and then there is the advantage of having a machine for everything, that for me, being a university student, is a big plus.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Mid-2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro + Akitio Node + AMD RX 580

maclm liked
ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

Glad to see you got it working! I love to see an old school mac still going strong

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
maclm
(@maclm)

Hi @emanuelediba, I too am glad to see you got it working, especially since I have the same rMBP model. Using the same path as you (purge-wrangler & purge-nvda), but with the notable exception of running macOS High Sierra 10.13.6, I've managed to make my *MSI RX 570* & *Razer Core X* to work.

BUT, I'm facing two issues:

1. No more brightness control for the internal display;

F1/F2 do not work and the brightness slider from System Preferences is gone.

2. No more sleep capability.

If the system goes to sleep, the screen won't turn back on afterwards. I have to force reboot.

Upgrading to Mojave is a big leap but I'm willing to do so if it helps resolve my issues (and don't create other ones I'm not aware of). Hence my question: can you confirm you're not experiencing those issues on your system as of now?

@nu_ninja, I share your view on old hardware. In search for a solution, I tried my eGPU with the same MBP 13" you have, borrowed from my girlfriend, running 10.13.6, and I'm glad to report it worked right away!

rMBP 15" mid-2012
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Razer Core X
MSI AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB

ReplyQuote
emanuelediba
(@emanuelediba)
Eminent Member

The issues you are facing are normal, and caused by purge-nvda. I have them too. It is because the nvidia GT650m is disabled. When you are on-the-go it is recommended to uninstall it, and reinstall when you have to use egpu again. I will try and see if automate-eGPU-EFI will work on macOS too, and with it you wouldn't need purge-nvda.

Regarding on the mac, it still is a beast imho. I recently changed the battery and I am more than happy with it, now that I also have an eGPU.

Mid-2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro + Akitio Node + AMD RX 580

ReplyQuote
maclm
(@maclm)

Thanks for your swift reply @emanuelediba. I was aware those were "known issues" but was hoping for Mojave to bring some hope.

Regarding *automate-eGPU-EFI*, I'll be really interreted to read how it goes for you. I've tried it and while this path didn't lead to the two issues described prior, I got a poorly working system, quite slow and buggy display, not as good as it is using the "purge combo" (and even not as good as without eGPU).

Hope you'll keep us posted on your experiments using *automate-eGPU-EFI*.

Cheers

rMBP 15" mid-2012
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Razer Core X
MSI AMD Radeon RX 570 8GB

ReplyQuote
PostApocalypse
(@postapocalypse)

If the system goes to sleep, the screen won't turn back on afterwards. I have to force reboot.

Coincidentally(?), that's the same behavior I've experienced with both of the 2018 MBP's I've owned.  It's something Apple has deleted entire conversations about in their "discussion forum".  I sent back a 560x MBP hoping a Vega 20 would be different, but every time I reboot with the internal screen fully dimmed and an external monitor attached = black screen + reset NVRAM.  EXCEPT... I've noticed that if I close the lid and quickly reopen it that the display comes on and I'm in recovery mode.  Anyway, maybe this issue similarity is just a coincidence, but is it REALLY purge-wrangler at fault?

2018 Macbook Pro 2.6ghz Vega 20:
2012 Macbook Pro Unibody 2.7ghz GT650m

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@emanuelediba You would likely still need purge-nvda even when using automate-eGPU EFI - more explanation here.

@postapocalypse Not sure about issues with the 2018 MBP (didn't have those problems). Regarding purge-wrangler, SIP must always be disabled and T2 security is set to No Security (in recovery). Enabling it while patches are in effect may cause subsequent reboots to redirect to recovery (only 2018 models - for others, no boot). The script itself does not have the ability to affect sleep.

purge-wranglerpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote