Setup & Software Discussions
2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gam...

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [clarketus]  

of  2
  RSS

ardsagart
(@ardsagart)

@joevt

Microsoft reserves this partition when I choose to use free space to create a partition for Windows installation (it all during the Windows installation process by booting from USB flash drive). If I want to install Windows I can't delete it. May be this is the problem?!

MacBookPro10,1 (Retina, Mid 2012). eGPU: ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX590-8G-GAMING (Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@ardsagart

Probably not the problem. I just wouldn't allow Windows to create partitions - just select an existing partition that was setup in macOS, and have Windows only reformat the existing partition.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ardsagart
(@ardsagart)

2012 and older models only support legacy BIOS Mode

Sources: here and here
Is it true or it's a lie?

MacBookPro10,1 (Retina, Mid 2012). eGPU: ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX590-8G-GAMING (Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box)

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Estimable Member

@ardsagart

Depends on what you mean by support, there's issues like the sound card potentially not starting without a DSDT override but it should at least install in EFI mode.

One thing I just remembered, when you boot the windows install disk there's 2 new icons. I think one is called windows and the other is called EFI. You should select the EFI one if I remember correctly.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.14+Win10
+ Linux Mint 19.1

ReplyQuote
ardsagart
(@ardsagart)

Posted by: @joevt

@ardsagart

Probably not the problem. I just wouldn't allow Windows to create partitions - just select an existing partition that was setup in macOS, and have Windows only reformat the existing partition.

@joevt

Oh, now I know this Windows reserved partition is used for!)) I tried to delete it. Now my computer sees only Windows partition when I turn it on and press the Option key. It can't see even the external USB drives.

(ಥ﹏ಥ)

Trying to find how to boot even once from Macintosh HD to restore my disk to one OS X partition. I checked via Disk Utility by using Command+R, it's ok, I just can't boot from it. Don't you know how to solve the problem?)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@ardsagart

isn't there a startup disk utility on the recovery partition?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ardsagart
(@ardsagart)

@joevt

I deleted the Windows recovery partition. In Command+R there is only an option to reinstall OS X, but I'm not sure it will help.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@ardsagart

Doesn't recovery mode have menus? Install macOS to an external drive, boot from that, and use it to examine your Mac's built-in drive.

ReplyQuote
 of  2