2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gam...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [clarketus]  

of  6
  RSS

sonicart77
(@sonicart77)

I have a MacBookPro 10,1 (Mid 2012 Retina) with the exact same RX580 Gaming Box and can confirm everything working!  There are a few differences though, like I only got Error 35 and not Error 12, and also when I partitioned the bootcamp partition I had to format it as FAT32 instead of HFS+ (otherwise for some weird reason it would give me BSOD in the middle of windows install.  I also had to unplug everything except the installer usb stick and the power cable.  Seems to help with the install.

Also, seems random, but sometimes the eGPU would hang the computer during boot, and I have to hotplug them sometimes.  Doesn't seem to be consistent, though.  When it doesn't get picked up I have to unplug it, boot into OS X, and then hot plug it in.  If that doesn't start it, then I have to keep it plugged in and do a software shutdown.  Sometimes the shutdown times would be really long.  Then afterwards when I power up again it would then work.  But then... sometimes it doesn't and I have to do it 3 or 4 times in order to get it working.

UPDATE:  I plugged the eGPU into the thunderbolt port next to the USB port (not the one to the right of the maglock) and everything is fine now!  Boots, restarts, and shuts down like it should every time now!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
clarketus
(@clarketus)
Eminent Member

Posted by: ruttit

Hi clarketus,

Awesome writeup! I do have the same Macbook Pro (9,1) abeit with a 2.3ghz processor instead. It keeps restarting on its own after the first restart during the installation process. Same USB stick work fine if i use bootcamp to install windows, so faulty usb stick or corruption is ruled out.  One thing i did notice was i didn't have the custom install option, but only presented me with a window showing all teh partitions, etc. and i did delete the HFS+ partition and click new to make  a new one and continued to insall windows 10,etc. 

eGPU is working fine on Mac OS X using purge-nvda and purge-wrangler Running OSX 10.13.6.

What do you think is causing the Windows install to fail?

Sorry for the late reply. The only thing I remember causing Windows to freeze or reboot was if the Intel HD4000 driver was allowed to be installed when using Windows in UEFI mode. The only way to fix this if it was installed was to use a system restore to get back to before the driver was installed.
As you say that the rebooting is occurring during the installation of Windows, this is before the HD4000 driver is available, so this can't be related.

Speculating on an actual solution, when you are booting the USB stick, is the boot option you select called "EFI boot"? or is it something else? One guess I am making is that if you somehow boot from the USB stick in a non-EFI mode, then it could affect the windows installation that is being installed. When turning on the laptop and holding down the option key, make sure it says "EFI boot" on the option you are selecting. Maybe verify this and get back to me?

Guides:
Mid 2012 15" MBP GT650M Non Retina + [email protected] (Gigabyte Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS 10.13.4 / Win10

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
clarketus
(@clarketus)
Eminent Member

Posted by: sonicart77

I have a MacBookPro 10,1 (Mid 2012 Retina) with the exact same RX580 Gaming Box and can confirm everything working!  There are a few differences though, like I only got Error 35 and not Error 12, and also when I partitioned the bootcamp partition I had to format it as FAT32 instead of HFS+ (otherwise for some weird reason it would give me BSOD in the middle of windows install.  I also had to unplug everything except the installer usb stick and the power cable.  Seems to help with the install.

Also, seems random, but sometimes the eGPU would hang the computer during boot, and I have to hotplug them sometimes.  Doesn't seem to be consistent, though.  When it doesn't get picked up I have to unplug it, boot into OS X, and then hot plug it in.  If that doesn't start it, then I have to keep it plugged in and do a software shutdown.  Sometimes the shutdown times would be really long.  Then afterwards when I power up again it would then work.  But then... sometimes it doesn't and I have to do it 3 or 4 times in order to get it working.

UPDATE:  I plugged the eGPU into the thunderbolt port next to the USB port (not the one to the right of the maglock) and everything is fine now!  Boots, restarts, and shuts down like it should every time now!

One thing I remember reading about your machine (MacBookPro10,1) is that although the hardware specs are identical, the logic board has a few differences, one of which is that it actually installs Bootcamp as UEFI by default when using the Bootcamp Assistant. This should mean that a lot of my guide isn't relevant to your machine.

If everything is working great then don't worry about it. But if you want to try and fix some issue, consider just doing a regular Bootcamp Assistant install and verify if it is a UEFI install as per how I mention in the guide above.

Guides:
Mid 2012 15" MBP GT650M Non Retina + [email protected] (Gigabyte Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS 10.13.4 / Win10

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
BlackDragun7
(@blackdragun7)

So, I'm trying to figure out how you have the laptop connected to the external monitor while the thunderbolt port is being used by the egpu.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@blackdragun7

The monitor should be connected directly to the eGPU card.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
BlackDragun7
(@blackdragun7)

cool. I didn't know it could be connected directly. every video I've watched on YouTube said not to do this for some reason.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

It may not be possible if you have a, say 5k monitor that connects over Thunderbolt 3. But in pretty much all other cases, connecting to the card is the best way.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
BlackDragun7
(@blackdragun7)

Alright, so I ran into this weird problem. I’m only using an AMD card, so I see no reason to use the purge-nvida code on my Mac, so I only use the wrangler one. Now everytime i have that code running in my Mac, my WiFi decides to stop working and says “WiFi:hardware not installed”.

I tried the fixes I could find online, but they don’t work. Are there any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
franciscolobo
(@franciscolobo)

Thank you so much for this. I can confirm it worked on a Macbook Pro Retina mid 2012 with Nvidia 650m.

I have the same issue with the internal display brightness not working which is a pain but I can live with it.

It will be used essentially for video editing and color correction (so this just saved me having to buy a new computer altogether).

I will be probably still be using the computer on the move without the eGPU, from what I get the purge-nvda and purge-wrangler are commands to the github page. Would it be possible to install/uninstall them without an internet connection?

Much appreciated!

Macbook Pro Retina mid-2012 + Gaming Box rx 580

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: franciscolobo

I will be probably still be using the computer on the move without the eGPU, from what I get the purge-nvda and purge-wrangler are commands to the github page. Would it be possible to install/uninstall them without an internet connection?

Much appreciated!

@franciscolobo Only the first-time install command uses an internet connection. Future uses (with the short command purge-wrangler/purge-nvda) do not require a connection. A connection is used by the script itself to check for updates - but this is skipped if there is no connectivity. So you could uninstall patches on-the-go as needed, and reinstall them as needed pretty quickly.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  6