2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gam...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [clarketus]  

of  7
  RSS

clarketus
(@clarketus)
Eminent Member

@fabio_mamone, Apologies for the late reply.

I added an update to the first post in the thread "Update: 18th Apr 2020". This details how I use the internal display, and how I solve an issue with laggy Google Chrome in MacOS. This isn't actually answering the question you asked, but I realized I have left this out of the guide and I found this hugely useful for my setup.

Regarding internal display performance, I never do anything that requires high GPU performance on my internal display, so never have any problems.

Regarding AA issues, you would have to provide more specifics. The driver stability issue I was experiencing was so significant that the system would just blue screen and restart all the time, so even if the older drivers have worse performance, its still better than a complete crash for me. On that note I don't notice any performance issues personally. 

You are obviously welcome to try the latest Radeon drivers to see what happens. The good news is you know exactly what version to roll back to if you experience stability issues. Also, the stability issues only happened to me in PUBG, not other games, so if you don't play PUBG perhaps you would be fine using the latest drivers.

Guides:
Mid 2012 15" MBP GT650M Non Retina + [email protected] (Gigabyte Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS 10.13.4 / Win10

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
erayau
(@erayau)

@clarketus, is it possible to use more high end cArd like vega 64 instead of rx580 in your MacBook Pro 2012setup ? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
clarketus
(@clarketus)
Eminent Member

@erayau, Sure, my setup guide is primarily for getting the laptop and its associated OS ready to work with an eGPU. But obviously any advice I am providing regarding drivers and OS support for a given GPU is specific to the RX580, which has driver support on Windows 10 and built in support on MacOS.

Regarding the Vega 64, my guess is that everything should be the same on Windows 10, and most likely fine on MacOS, but I am not 100% sure. Given from what I have read on here the Vega 56 is fully supported on MacOS using built in drivers, I would assume the 64 is also fully supported. But you should do more research to confirm that based on other posts on this forum.

Guides:
Mid 2012 15" MBP GT650M Non Retina + [email protected] (Gigabyte Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS 10.13.4 / Win10

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Fabio Mamone
(@fabio_mamone)

@clarketus, thanks again for being this clear.
I got exactly what I needed: I don't actually play PUBG so I'll try to install the latest drivers and I'll feedback here what's gonna happen!
Do you suggest to delete the currently installed drivers or I can simply update them?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
clarketus
(@clarketus)
Eminent Member

@fabio_mamone, Just install over the top. Using something like DDU (display driver uninstaller) I've found useful usually when rolling back versions. Can always try again with DDU if you experience issues.

Guides:

ReplyQuote
xLOOSIDx
(@xloosidx)

@clarketus, hey would a Akitio Node Pro egpu work with a MacBook Pro Mid 2012?

ReplyQuote
clarketus
(@clarketus)
Eminent Member

@xloosidx, I've never tried it, but most of my guide is specific to setting up the macbook pro to work with egpus, and not related to the specific egpu encoslure. So if it was to work, the guide would probably be the same. 

So in summary, you are probably fine, but try/purchase at your own risk!

Guides:

ReplyQuote
MBP2012Gamer
(@mbp2012gamer)

Hi @clarketus

Would like to say first, absolute great guide!. I dug up a MBP 2012 that i had sitting at home after i had bought a 2017 model which ended up no longer functioning. So im sticking with my 2012 MBP, and since i have recently gotten back into gaming, i came across your guide which was a blessing. It was very helpful in letting me set up my mbp 2012 non-retina for an EGPU-Rx580 (Same model as you own and feeling proud to own this sturdy model)  as well as bootcamp.

I followed your guide down to the "T". Very well laid out and easy to understand.  I was able to use the DSDT guide to set up  the EGPU for BootCamp, using the Intel option as well as the option to use  "Test signing mode ON". And everything worked well with those options

Unfortunately, one last issue that I am having is that..... since I play games with strict Anti-Cheat like pub-g I had to, as your guide says, use the "Test signing mode OFF" option in the DSDT guide. So I went to follow those instructions on how to set that up in the DSDT guide

I followed option #2 (Testsigning mode OFF) , However , once i got down to the part where i downloaded Clover ISO and extracted it with 7-zip  to then extract it to the "S:" drive i get an error and  Im stuck.

This error comes from when i extract the clover ISO contents i get a file name "Clover-v2.3k-3961-X64". and inside are the folders EFI, BOOT, library, usr. I tried taking that EFI and extracting it to the s: drive with  7-zip and i get an error (screenshot on the link)

https://ibb.co/bQ8NmTf

im really struggling to get past that step, so I can play Pubg.

Im confused because the previous step where I have to Mount my EFI volume as s: drive and backup my existing  \EFI\BOOT\BOOTX64.efi file ran fine on Terminal with no problems. 

This post was modified 1 month ago

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@mbp2012gamer

With bootloaders like Clover I personally prefer to put them on their own separate partition rather than the EFI system partition since then you don't have to overwrite anything. To do this I go into macOS and use Disk Utility to create a new 256MB partition formatted as MS-DOS (FAT32). This partition should be visible in macOS and windows and you can simply copy over the clover files to it normally. It should show up as the second "EFI Boot" option in the boot menu when you start up holding the option key. If you want, you can set it to always boot to this partition with the following command in macOS:

bless --setBoot --folder /Volumes/[PARTITION NAME]/EFI/BOOT --file /Volumes/[PARTITION NAME]/EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi

run as root with SIP off and replacing [PARTITION NAME] with whatever you called the new partition.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@nu_ninja, add the --label parameter to add the invisible .disk_label files that will be drawn by the Mac's Startup Manager (when you hold option key at boot) so that it doesn't say "EFI Boot" (doesn't work with really old Macs). You can also paste an icon using the Finder.

The rEFInd boot loader has an install option that creates a minimal HFS+ boot arrangement that macOS Startup Disk preferences panel will show in its list. I haven't tried it with a FAT partition. FAT partition is required because EFI doesn't have write access to HFS+ partitions for boot loader log files.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

nu_ninja liked
ReplyQuote
 of  7