2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gam...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [clarketus]  

of  7
  RSS

MBP2012Gamer
(@mbp2012gamer)

Posted by: @nu_ninja

@mbp2012gamer

With bootloaders like Clover I personally prefer to put them on their own separate partition rather than the EFI system partition since then you don't have to overwrite anything. To do this I go into macOS and use Disk Utility to create a new 256MB partition formatted as MS-DOS (FAT32). This partition should be visible in macOS and windows and you can simply copy over the clover files to it normally. It should show up as the second "EFI Boot" option in the boot menu when you start up holding the option key. If you want, you can set it to always boot to this partition with the following command in macOS:

bless --setBoot --folder /Volumes/[PARTITION NAME]/EFI/BOOT --file /Volumes/[PARTITION NAME]/EFI/BOOT/BOOTx64.efi

run as root with SIP off and replacing [PARTITION NAME] with whatever you called the new partition.

@nu_ninja  managed to get it working. thanks for your help. Now i'm playing Pubg as it was intended, and thanks Egpu community

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

nu_ninja liked
ReplyQuote
dolphinkickme
(@dolphinkickme)

@clarketus, you mention:

NVDAGPUWakeHandler does not work for me on Catalina

I'm curious, did you ever get NVDAGPUWakeHandler working?

I have the same model (Macbook Pro 9,1) with Mojave, and I can get the kext to build and install, but the screen laptop screen is still black on wake. 

If you got it working, did you need to make any modifications to the dGPU addresses?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
clarketus
(@clarketus)
Eminent Member

@dolphinkickme, From memory, I managed to get NVDAGPUWakeHandler to work on Mojave following the instructions to modify the plist file, compile and then install the compiled kext. Upon upgrading to Catalina, I could not get it to work again following the same steps. In the end I never tried to follow up on this as I don't sleep my laptop that often when purge-nvda is enabled (I disable it when I have my laptop in "portable" mode). Obviously it would be great if it worked though so more attention here could be worthwhile.

Guides:
Mid 2012 15" MBP GT650M Non Retina + [email protected] (Gigabyte Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS 10.13.4 / Win10

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
dolphinkickme
(@dolphinkickme)

@clarketus thank you! 

I've managed to build and install the kext but it's still not working. It makes me wonder if I have the wrong I/O addresses for my model as part of the EFI boot script.

I'm wondering have you ever tried automate-eGPU EFI instead of purge-wrangler? I'm wondering if that would help with the wake handler.

ReplyQuote
 of  7