2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gam...

Notifications
Clear all

2012 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [clarketus]  

of  8
  RSS

xLOOSIDx
(@xloosidx)

@clarketus, I'm trying to game with a monitor that has Free Sync Premium Pro So that means it would be slower with my Macbook Pro Mid 2012? Sorry my English is bad.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
MBP2012Gamer
(@mbp2012gamer)

@torete

I recently bought a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550W (GPU-550W-TB3) with an rx580, and I have been using this set up since. I don't know have experience with other egpu cases. This was my first box

A set up my gaming rig using this thread's guide. I didn't update windows or the AMD drivers (Although I would like to update windows and the drivers since Clarketus mentioned that it worked for him (Maybe it might improve my fps who knows) , but I don't currently have time to trial and error updating windows since I started working in September and I am now constricted with my time. I used the drivers and windows version suggested in this thread. It has been going well. sometimes windows would force update  the AMD  without my knowledge (which was a little frustrating ) to which I would only found out the drivers were updated whenever I got a blue screen (The reason for my frustration). I just had to manually re install the old and drivers manually every few days, and around 3 weeks ago I stopped since.

I used the case and gpu to play for leisure and it has been working fine, although the fans don't run (they would only run in MacOS). I do however, get some errors that pop as windows. I just close it and ignore and continue gaming without a problem. Also, I would like to know if anyone has tried overcooking their GPU to get a few more FPS.

I would say it's a very sound temporary investment for non-competitive gaming. I don't think it makes sense to buy a gaming computer if you're a non competitive gamer since the EGPU gives u decent graphic power for games and mobility.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  8