mid 2013 11" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Zotac Box Mini via Apple TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.4 [betova]  

RSS

betova
(@betova)
April 19, 2018 2:45 am  

System specs

MacBookAir6,1 (11" Mid 2013 MBA)
i5 CPU
4GB RAM
iGPU is Intel HD Graphics 5000
High Sierra 10.13.4

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Enclosure: Zotac AMP Box Mini
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX560 (GV-RX560OC-4GD)
Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
Apple Thunderbolt Cable (0.5m)

Hardware pics

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

1) Updated system to High Sierra 10.13.4
2) Installed PurgeWrangler . Thanks!
https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/script-enable-egpu-on-tb1-2-macs-on-macos-10-13-4/
3) Installed automate-eGPU.kext. Thanks!.
Follow instructions below to copy kext, repair permissions, rebuild kext cache.
https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/app-automate-egpu-by-goalque/paged/3/#post-33579
4) Put the Video card in the box, plug to the MBA, power on, Ready!

Comments
This specific MBA model can't output 4k over TB with OS X (some people report it works with Windows).
Tried all available hacks, unsuccessfully.
My main work computer is a MBP on an LG 4k display, but I switch input to my MBA when I do personal stuff. The change to low DPI resolution was really annoying (even when scaled by the LG). I wanted 4k modes but didn't want to replace my 11" MBA, since it has 256GB SSD and I really like the compact size.
Doing the eGPU is an expensive proposition, when all is done it's about $420 including the Video card, which is close to what the laptop is worth, but I already had the video card and I really don't like the current MB lineup to justify buying a new one.
I noticed some slight video to audio lag when using a USB ethernet adapter, not sure how the bandwidth is shared between USB and TB on this machine, or maybe it was an unrelated thing. I don't notice when I switch to using Wireless LAN. Maybe it's unrelated but can't tell for sure at this point
I really don't do gaming so I can't comment on 3D acceleration, but video seems smooth so far.

Thanks everyone for providing the kext and patches!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

Yukikaze and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
April 19, 2018 2:46 am  

This is a very nice pairing! We'd love to see some photos of your 11" MacBook Air eGPU setup

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
betova
(@betova)
April 19, 2018 12:39 pm  

Updated OP to template format inc pics.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
betova
(@betova)
November 22, 2018 3:07 pm  

Updated to Mojave, only re-added PurgeWrangler and it still works fine!  It seems the RX560 gets native support.

ReplyQuote
kqube
(@kqube)
November 26, 2018 10:31 am  

I have a setup similar to you and I can't get the amp box to boot or being recognized, and is never listed in the thunderblot devices in system information.

Do you had do specific operation to get the box working ? Or did it worked straight away, just with the patches ? Thanks!

ReplyQuote
betova
(@betova)
December 10, 2018 12:36 am  

It worked right away with the patches.  After upgrading to Mojave I only reinstalled PurgeWrangler.  What brand is your Video Card? Firmware seems important.  Mine is Gigabyte.

ReplyQuote