mid-2014 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3 to TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.4&Win10 [xenoshroud]^  

RSS

xenoshroud
(@xenoshroud)
May 9, 2017 6:39 pm  

Hi, this is my first post on these forums and I just want to thank everyone as I would not be able to do this without many of the other implementation guides at my disposal. I did notice that there was not a single Mid-2014 MBP 13" with an Nvidia Pascal based GFX card on the implementations list so I hope this will be helpful for anyone with the same Macbook Pro Model.

I initially thought this would take a few days to figure out, but in roughly 3 hours, I was able to set this up to work with macOS and Windows 10. This might be because I am using an external monitor. 

Configuration

• mid-2014 13" Macbook Pro (Core i7 3.0Ghz)
  • macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and Windows 10 Boot Camp UEFI (pure GPT partition table)
  • LG 34" Ultrawide (34UM95-P)
  • Apple TB3->TB2 adapter and TB Cable (0.5m)
  • Akitio Node with Firmware v1.0.0.4 B1-25+4.3.3
  • ASUS GTX1070 Turbo

macOS Setup (this was extremely easy)

• Installed the GTX 1070 into the Akitio Node and connected to Macbook Pro via Apple TB3->TB2 adapter and TB Cable (0.5m)
  • Used goalque's ./automate-eGPU.sh v1.01 as instructed in the link
  • No issues waking from sleep
  • However, no audio via DisplayPort cable from Node to LG 34" Ultrawide - this is strange as I was only aware of HDMI audio not being functional (however I can deal with it since I use bluetooth headphones - though I am curious if this is isolated to my setup or whether it's a known limitation on macOS Sierra)

Updating Akitio Node Firmware

• Removed GTX 1070 from the Node and found a friend that had a TB3 Macbook Pro (Late 2016 Macbook Pro 13" without TouchBar).
  • Installed windows 10 x64 Anniversary Edition (v1607) - IMPORTANT (using v1703 of windows results in a blue screen during installation).
  • Downloaded the latest Intel TB3 drivers for windows 10 x64 from the Intel website (v16.2.55.275).
  • Downloaded firmware v1.0.0.4 B1-25+4.3.3 from the Akitio Website.
  • Hotplugged Node (no GFX card inserted) via TB3 and updated with no issue using the firmware update tool.

Windows 10 Setup (a little more difficult - but still relatively easy)

• Did a fresh install of windows 10 x64 Creators Edition (v1703) via Bootcamp (after bricking my original windows installation trying to convert from hybrid MBR to pure GPT)
  • Created bootable USB for Optimus [GUIDE] keeping iGPU activated when booting into Windows using apple_set_os.efi
  • Shutdown computer.
  • After Node firmware was updated, I reinserted the GTX 1070 Turbo.
  • With Macbook Pro (mid 2014) powered off I reconnected the Node via Apple TB3->TB2 adapter (MUST use port closest to MagSafe Port)
  • Option booted to above USB with and Windows 10 detected my graphics card and I was able to update to the latest Nvidia drivers
  • Disabled full sleep (wake from sleep not functional)
  • DisplayPort audio fully functional

Note that with the Node H2D firmware and the TB3->TB2 did improve from ~1100MiB/s to between ~1300 and 1400 MiB/s using CUDA-Z (i wish i had screenshots from before and after)

Hope this helps. As I am a noob in general to forums, please let me know if there's anything wrong with my post and i'll edit appropriately.

------Updated for Heaven Benchmarks & CUDA-Z-------

Heaven Benchmark (macOS Sierra 10.12.4)

Heaven Benchmark (Win10x64 v1703)

CUDA-Z (Win10x64 v1703)

AKiTiO Node + ASUS GTX 1070 Turbo 8GB (macOS High Sierra 10.13 and Windows 10)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid-2014) 3.0GHz Dual Core Intel i7-4578U / 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 512GB SSD

ed_co, nando4, Username and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
May 9, 2017 7:13 pm  

The only thing wrong with your post is no photos. This sounds like a very nice eGPU setup! 😀

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member
May 9, 2017 11:47 pm  

You mentioned that for you audio is not working. (Does not even work in old Mac Pros when using PC GPUs.)

With my installer I bundled an driver to enable audio support. It would be great if you could test wether it works for you.

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

ReplyQuote
xenoshroud
(@xenoshroud)
May 10, 2017 2:53 am  

@Rastafabi - audio still does not work. Everything else works as intended.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid-2014) 3.0GHz Dual Core Intel i7-4578U / 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 / 512GB SSD

ReplyQuote
Rastafabi
(@rastafabi)
Trusted Member
May 10, 2017 9:09 am  

Thanks for testing. To bad, that it doesn't just work. I will look into it. Could you post a screenshot of the audio section from Systemprofiler.app please?

Creator of the update-redundant macOS 10.12 eGPU enabler package for NVIDIA

AKiTiO Thunder 2 PCIe Expansion Box
NVIDIA GTX 750Ti
MacBook Pro 9.2 ••• until being stolen.
Thanks to the community for helping getting me going again.

ReplyQuote
yuzenan888
(@yuzenan888)
May 10, 2017 10:46 pm  

All ports are no sound output?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
xenoshroud
(@xenoshroud)
May 11, 2017 2:53 pm  
Posted by: yuzenan888

All ports are no sound output?

LOL - of all things, I did not check the rest of the ports. I'll try it out tonight.

-----Edit-----

Since I actively build hackintoshes, I decided to take a look at the tonymacx86 forums to see what folks have done to get DP audio to work. After looking at post #167, the GTX 1080 DP audio did not work on port closest to the HDMI ports. Coincidentally, my LG 34" Ultrawide is connected to my eGPU on the same port.  I'm tempted to play hookie so I can go home and test it out - hehehe.

-----Edit x2-----

Still didnt work. However, I think it might be possible with clover bootloader to force inject kexts and load patched dsdt/ssdt's on a Mac. I might give it a whirl, but using clover on a real mac is something I wouldn't recommend to anyone by any means. Maybe an update to the Nvidia Web Drivers will address this.

Note that when I use dPCIManager I can see the second Nvidia device in my list which is the High Definition Audio Controller. I can also see this in the hardware section of macOS System Information. I'll post up pictures when I get home later today.

ReplyQuote
xenoshroud
(@xenoshroud)
May 16, 2017 11:57 pm  
Posted by: Rastafabi

Thanks for testing. To bad, that it doesn't just work. I will look into it. Could you post a screenshot of the audio section from Systemprofiler.app please?

@ Rastafabi - see the attached picture of the Audio section of System Profiler

It seems as though Its recognizing the Audio through IntelHDA and shows its connected to the display.

ReplyQuote
syphus
(@syphus)
July 20, 2017 2:09 am  

has anyone been able to solve the HDMI/Display out audio on mac not working?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
xenoshroud
(@xenoshroud)
July 20, 2017 4:56 am  

AFAIK, the answer is no.

I tried messing around with hackintosh tools on my macbook to get audio over HDMI/DP and accidentally bricked it (no apple logo when powering on, logic board not detecting ram). I was able to fix my computer, but I can assure you it was no easy task.

The best option is to either use Bluetooth or USB audio in the meantime while we wait for Nvidia to update their web driver.

ReplyQuote