[Solved] Mid-2014 13" Macbook Pro Retina + GTX1060 3gb@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + Win10 & MBR vs GPT comparison  

(@lukas_gregor)
March 20, 2018 7:26 pm  
Hello everyone, i wan't to share my setup and my experiences with it. 

I like my Macbook Pro but i wasn't happy with gaming on it. When i found this portal, i was immediately hooked and i spent several hours on looking at build guides. 

System specs  
i have this concrete macbook pro:
  • Mid-2014 13" Macbook Pro Retina
  • no dGPU

eGPU hardware
Akitio Node - very hard to find in central europe for reasonable price, i bought this one from amazon.de
Apple TB3->TB2 adapter
Cable Matters TB2 cable
Manhattan HDMI to VGA converter, as i have only one old VGA 20" monitor 
external hdd WD Elements 2TB 5400 rpm with windows 10 on it

Hardware pictures, benchmarks Unigine Valley and Unigine Heaven, eth mining 19,85 MH/s

Installation steps

i installed windows 10 on external hdd like this: 
My disk was MBR, which i converted to GPT

Comments
Bootup process is very painfull. I have low, maybe around 20% success rate to boot up correctly. 

I need to hotplug egpu with USB stick with apple_set_os.efi in it, otherwise i was unable to boot. (black screen or infinite windows loading or no egpu detected and only internal screen working)

Maybe it’s because the windows 10 is on external hdd, so i decided to reinstall it and stick with MBR for now. 

On MBR, there’s no bootup issues, but now i have error 12 in device manager, which i didn’t fix just yet 😀

Currently i’m experimenting with DYI eGPU Setup 1.35 and trying to do DSDT override.

I don’t need the internal screen working, i’ll use it just for gaming or experimenting with crypto mining.

I’ll let you know if i fix the error 12 issue or when i found another solution. It’s interesting to see differences between MBR and GPT though. 

tiagoamaro and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@lukas_gregor)
June 2, 2018 4:40 pm  

sorry for late response. 

if you're like me and you trying your best to put windows to external drive, just don't. I didn't find any stable solution. So i decided to dedicate 50gb of my disk for bootcamp and after that everything works like a charm. No hotplugging, no crashes, no error 12, it just works.

I can install all disk space expensive games and software on external hdd. As a casual gamer, i have my external hdd, mouse, keyboard and other stuff in usb hub and i don't experience any lag or slow response. So it's working kinda like game console for me 🙂 

ReplyQuote