mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + TITAN [email protected] (Thunder2) + macOS10.13.1 & win10 [P-Mac]^ // ammo-case  

RSS

P-Mac
(@p-mac)
Trusted Member
May 17, 2017 8:35 am  

Hi all! Been eGPU-ing since last summer (old build thread here), so this'll be the condensed version.

DotPusher III
this isn't even my final form!

Hardware:

• mid-2014 MacBook Pro (15-inch)
    • i7-4980HQ (2.8 GHz)
    • GT 750m 2GB
  • Akitio Thunder2
  • NVIDIA TITAN Xp 12GB (2017)
    • Previous GPUs: GTX 980, 980 Ti
  • Corsair 550w ATX PSU
  • "Fat .50" 5.56mm ammo can, army surplus

Software:

• automate-eGPU.sh script
  • Latest macOS version
  • Win10 build 1607 (not Creators Update because meh)

Build Quick Summary:

Started by terminating all of the ATX power wires I didn't need (a modular PSU is ideal here). Terminate each end individually, because you really don't want anything shorting out. Gaff tape secures it to the side of the PSU. I basically just needed the ATX12v rail and the two PCIe 8-pin plugs from the PSU. Everything else could go. Also performed "hotwiring" during this step.

Soldered the ATX12v rail to the Thunder2's PCB so I wouldn't have to run a barrel connector to the DC-In on it. Combined the leads, tinned the ends, and slapped it onto the PCB. Gaff tape to secure it for good measure. PCB screwed right back into the Thunder2 chassis.

The ammo can enclosure was a matter of using a die grinder, dremel, and drill to cut the GPU window out, along with the Thunder2 and PSU port holes / mounts. Lots of measuring and referring to the ATX PSU spec sheet as to where the holes go. The Thunder2 is propped up by some wood underneath it so that the GPU is visually centered vertically on the front of the ammo can when installed. 

Installed an LED strip that's plugged into the Thunder2's fan port on the PCB. (the LED port doesn't provide enough amperage, ironically enough)

And here's the full battlestation:

Battlestation extras are as follows:

• ASUS VG248QE 1080p 144Hz Monitor
  • Monoprice Glass Monitor Stand 
  • Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 + JBL Linear Spatial Reference 305's
  • Logitech G231 Prodigy Headset (for when I pretend I'm an MLG Xtreme Pro G4M3R)
  • Logitech G602 500Hz Wireless Mouse + SteelSeries QcK+ Cloth Pad
  • Drevo Gramr 75% TKL Mechanical Keyboard, Outemu Blue Switches (o-ring modded)
  • Glorious PC Gaming Race Wrist Rest (TKL)
  • 2x AmazonBasics 4-Port USB3 Hubs & hella terabytes of drives / SSDs everywhere
  • PCMR Standard-Issue IKEA FEJKA (Grass) Artificial Potted Plant
  • Those Command-brand hanger things & a bunch of zip-ties for cable management
  • Old-ass beat up desk that I need to replace, probably with that IKEA dual cabinet + countertop combo that I keep seeing everywhere

Honestly though, I make special mention of the mouse/pad & keyboard because they're very comfortable, tactile, responsive, and relatively inexpensive when it comes to input devices. And I figure, if I'm going to be spending the majority of my time working by interacting with this computer, why skimp out on input devices? They're literally the bridge between your hands and the digital world. The last thing I want is some carpal-tunnel-inducing Magic Mouse slowing down my creative workflow. 

Anyway, hope you guys enjoy the build. Always happy to answer any questions as well!

2016 15" MacBook Pro RP460 + RX Vega64 @32Gbps-TB32 (Asus XG Station 2) + macOS10.13.4
---
AG241QX 1440p 144hz FreeSync // Logitech G602 / SteelSeries QcK+ & Drevo Gramr TKL, Blues // Scarlett 2i4 + JBL Linear Spatial Reference 305's

3RYL, gtosi, goalque and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member
May 17, 2017 2:59 pm  

Nice man! I have a similar setup, but with GTX 980TI. So, when you got the Titan xP your FPS increase like a monster or does it have bottlenecks because of processor/eGPU? I'm considering getting a GTX 1080 since I wanna reach 2k/150FPS on Overwatch.

Thanks,

mid-2017 15" Macbook Pro RP555 + [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS & Win10

P-Mac liked
ReplyQuote
P-Mac
(@p-mac)
Trusted Member
May 17, 2017 6:49 pm  

For 1440p / 144Hz, first thing I would check is if you can actually achieve that with your current setup.

Turn all the graphics settings down to low except for resolution and see if you can achieve your desired framerate. This'll ensure that your CPU and the TB connection are up to the task of high-framerate in that specific game. 

If you're not running into CPU throttling issues or weird hitching then I would suggest the upgrade. 

Unfortunately, I don't play Overwatch, so I can't test anything out for you specifically. 

I do notice that in high framerate games (like DOOM) the CPU runs pretty hot, and I've had to soft throttle it down to 3.2 GHz to prevent it from hitting thermal throttling (which causes huge stutters and frame dips). 

2016 15" MacBook Pro RP460 + RX Vega64 @32Gbps-TB32 (Asus XG Station 2) + macOS10.13.4
---
AG241QX 1440p 144hz FreeSync // Logitech G602 / SteelSeries QcK+ & Drevo Gramr TKL, Blues // Scarlett 2i4 + JBL Linear Spatial Reference 305's

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 1, 2017 12:47 am  

Upgraded to macOS10.13.1.

From https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/wip-nvidia-egpu-support-for-high-sierra/paged/20/#post-25376

Posted by: P-Mac
Posted by: ricosuave0922

EDIT

I built an updated installer from the GitHub Source if people want to use that instead of manually editing things.

Dopeness, thank you sir. I'm back up and running as well (mid-2014 15" MBP, Thunder2 + Titan Xp).

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

P-Mac liked
ReplyQuote
(@uwe_schall)
January 4, 2018 9:15 pm  

wow!, nice setup.

what about your CPU. is that the bottleneck so far? which temps did you get while playing?

I have the late 13 MBP. and plan to connect a HTC Vive. I am just worried about the refresh rate of 90fps. 

2160×1200 (1080×1200 per eye) . do you think a 1080Ti is good for this?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ticojohn
(@ticojohn)
January 5, 2018 4:23 pm  
Hi P mac, great set up.

i just got a GTX1080 with an Akitio thunder3 with adapter to thunder 2 on the same machine (mid mbp 2014) and was successful on getting the egpu to work on mac os 10.12.6 but have not been able to get it working on windows bootcamp. I used windows 10 (1703) which should work. 

However i am trying to do all of this via the internal display and not using an external monitor, and was wondering if you had any tips.

At moment in windows the os only recognizes the dgpu (gt750m) and does not recognize the igpu or the egpu. Have been able to boot with egpu plugged and have downloaded all drivers. 

Thanks in advance

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
January 5, 2018 10:03 pm  
Posted by: ticojohn
Hi P mac, great set up.

i just got a GTX1080 with an Akitio thunder3 with adapter to thunder 2 on the same machine (mid mbp 2014) and was successful on getting the egpu to work on mac os 10.12.6 but have not been able to get it working on windows bootcamp. I used windows 10 (1703) which should work. 

However i am trying to do all of this via the internal display and not using an external monitor, and was wondering if you had any tips.

At moment in windows the os only recognizes the dgpu (gt750m) and does not recognize the igpu or the egpu. Have been able to boot with egpu plugged and have downloaded all drivers. 

Thanks in advance

TB3 enclosures coupled with an NVDA eGPU don't work with this Mac model on Windows - always look up implementation guides for your machine before purchasing - I have dived deep into this personally. Note that P-Mac is using a Thunder2 - which does. The only possible workaround (only one person has tried this and achieved detection - don't know if that person confirmed a good working config) to get this working is a PERST delay or PCIe disconnection/connection which is difficult and cumbersome - and is posted somewhere on the forum.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

P-Mac liked
ReplyQuote
P-Mac
(@p-mac)
Trusted Member
January 5, 2018 11:29 pm  
Posted by: Uwe Schall

wow!, nice setup.

what about your CPU. is that the bottleneck so far? which temps did you get while playing?

I have the late 13 MBP. and plan to connect a HTC Vive. I am just worried about the refresh rate of 90fps. 

2160×1200 (1080×1200 per eye) . do you think a 1080Ti is good for this?

CPU was being underclocked and undervolted in windows to keep temps down, as hitting the 100c ceiling resulted in a huge stutter due to the hard thermal throttle. I capped its freq around 2.0 - 2.8 GHz depending on the game, and it seemed fine.

I ran an Oculus Rift on my setup (and I don't just mean "I tested it out", I mean I spent up to 3 hours in one sitting playing Elite Dangerous on it :P) and it was great, with minimal reprojection. 

---

ReplyQuote
(@uwe_schall)
January 10, 2018 9:05 am  

thanks @ P-Mac

if I want to use a TB3 solution for my TB2 input on my 2013 Mac, is the NODE the only option I have?

what about the Akitio Thunder3? same electronics as the Node? (I will DIY my case)

or does the Akitio Thunder3 not work with my GT750M card?

ReplyQuote
FeAlmeida76
(@fealmeida76)
September 14, 2018 2:32 pm  

I have the same MBP, and I would like to use e-GPU for work with cinema 4d  with OS X, is it possible?

ReplyQuote
(@gregor_zimmermann)
October 30, 2018 10:05 am  

Hey @fealmeida76

I can confirm, that the MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) with the 750m supports eGPU usage while working with Cinema4D.
For what it's worth, I don't own the same eGPU as P-Mac, but I got it to work anyways.

If you need more information, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

ReplyQuote
FeAlmeida76
(@fealmeida76)
December 1, 2018 6:05 am  

Hi, Gregor, sorry for delay to reply.
I would like more infos to do my eGPU. Is it possible use OSX.
I don't like change my system to Windows.
Whats the next step?
Regards Fernando.

ReplyQuote
FeAlmeida76
(@fealmeida76)
December 1, 2018 6:05 am  

Hi, Gregor, sorry for delay to reply.
I would like more infos to do my eGPU. Is it possible use OSX.
I don't like change my system to Windows.
Whats the next step?
Regards Fernando.

ReplyQuote