2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AORUS Gami...

Notifications
Clear all

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + GTX 1070 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13.6 [mac_editor]  

of  6
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

System Specifications

• MacBook Pro 15" (Mid-2014)
  • CPU: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-4870HQ)
  • GPU(s): Intel Iris Pro 5200, NVIDIA GeForce GT750M

eGPU Specifications

Installation

The installation process is usually straightforward if you use one of the solutions on this forum.

For macOS

Few things to keep in mind:

• Booting with the NVIDIA eGPU plugged in blocks POST and results in black screen. Delay plugging in (see below).
  • Hot-plugging eGPU may not work as expected without logging out and then logging in.
  • If the above suggestion for hot-plugging is followed, the internal display may be disabled.
  • If you choose not to use purge-nvda.sh, then NVIDIA eGPU will only provide Metal acceleration (no OpenCL/GL).

Not all applications take advantage of external GPUs. For that, one can use set-eGPU.sh to force applications to create OpenCL/GL and Metal queues on eGPUs first. This is not guaranteed to work, but may see significant improvements in some cases.

Delayed Boot Process for Systems W/O FileVault

• As soon as the loading bar appears, plug in the TB cable coming from your enclosure into your Mac.
  • The loading bar will slow down and stop around the halfway point.
  • Boot may be slower than normal.

Delayed Boot Process for Systems W/O FileVault

• The initial login screen will appear where you will be prompted to enter your password.
  • Put in your password, but do not press return or proceed further.
  • Be ready to plug in the TB cable from your enclosure, and do so after pressing return and before the loading bar appears below your account as the OS completes the boot.
  • The loading bar will slow down and stop around the halfway point.
  • Boot may be slower than normal.

For Windows

Windows is not supported with this configuration. A potential technique may be to use a PERST# delay and allow eGPU detection, but that is a rather involved hardware-oriented workaround that really doesn't go hand-in-hand with the AGB's all-in-one solution.

Benchmarks

These benchmarks were captured on macOS 10.13.5 (17F77), but functionality is identical on 10.13.6 (17G65):

External Display
Internal Display

Comments

I only use the eGPU for testing purposes at this time, but my experience and benchmarks make the following clear:

• Graphics performance over 750M: ~10x.
  • While the boot process is annoying, it is not too much trouble if you stay docked for long sessions.
  • Saying that Thunderbolt 1/2 are significant bottlenecks is not true at all.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@mac_editor, nicely done.

There are two ways you could try to delay the hardware initialization to overcome the black bootup screen and allow detection in Windows, without resorting to PERST wiring.  If game, try these after pass the Apple firmware, eg: in Windows or at the Windows bootup screen. Check in Device Manager after a rescan that the video card appears.

1. Unplug the PCIe power connector to the GTX1070
2. Hotplug the *whole* GTX1070 into the powered eGPU enclosure.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@nando4 Yes, I’ve read that in your (very detailed) Windows detection issues guide. It’s just not feasible to do it with an Aorus Box I guess. I have a feeling that it will work though.

Of course, it is worth doing as proof-of-concept. Will try that sometime. 😉

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@nando4 Actually I just tried simulating a PERST# delay using one alternative you outlined above (hot-plug GPU into PCIe slot) and it didn't help sadly. I tried different timings as well:

• Boot Manager Screen: Windows an enter away -> plugged in GPU, then pressed enter immediately - booted fine, no detection (maybe I could have slightly delayed - don't know). Plugging in much earlier -> hangs boot manager as expected.
  • After Boot: No change. GPU fans continue to spin without any activity from Windows (normal behavior as seen when delaying TB cable plug-in too).

I'll try more precise timing I suppose, in the future.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@mac_editor, perhaps boot via apple_set_os.efi to simulate a macOS bootup configuration?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@nando4 Roger. Will give that a shot. I already re-assembled the enclosure but realized it's actually trivial to open up. I'd be grateful if you could come up with a list of things you would recommend trying in one sitting (besides stuff in the guide). Also don't wanna man-handle an eGPU I was generously given by @itsage too many times haha. My luck with eGPUs in general is quite sad as you may have noticed..

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Twister
(@twister)
Eminent Member

I think I spoke too soon - the script worked for me the first time I booted, and now for the life of me I cannot get it to work again. As before I plugged in egpu as soon as the boot loading bar appeared, and as before the internal screen went a bit wonky before both internal and external screens came to life successfully... only now it only works for 3 seconds before it crashes into blackscreen of death. Any help appreciated. cheers

Edit. And now I can't seem to call purge-nvda or purge-wrangler using terminal anymore. Just want to uninstall at this point.

2012 Mac Mini 2.6/OSX 10.13.6/Sonnet Echo Express Pro TB1/Nvidia GTX 960 2GB
2014 MBP 750M/OSX10.13.6/Aorus Gaming 650ti w/TB2-TB3 adapter

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@twister Uninstall both scripts. Then try only purge-wrangler.sh. See if it works across boots.

Then apply purge-nvda.sh. See if it works across boots. If you don't need OpenCL compute on eGPU, don't use purge-nvda.

Edit: If it get's stuck again, apply Option #4 of purge-nvda (if you used it) again in Single User Mode as advised in the guide. Then see if it works again.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Twister
(@twister)
Eminent Member

Thanks. I'm trying to uninstall but can't seem to access the scripts via terminal now... after input password there's nothing...

Edit. I used the link again and it seems like I can uninstall. Gonna try one more time.

2012 Mac Mini 2.6/OSX 10.13.6/Sonnet Echo Express Pro TB1/Nvidia GTX 960 2GB
2014 MBP 750M/OSX10.13.6/Aorus Gaming 650ti w/TB2-TB3 adapter

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Twister

Thanks. I'm trying to uninstall but can't seem to access the scripts via terminal now... after input password there's nothing...

Give it some time :p it pings GitHub to check for any new updates.

Edit: If it still get's stuck, just disconnect from the internet and execute.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

Twister liked
ReplyQuote
 of  6