2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)...

Notifications
Clear all

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.4 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

of  15
  RSS

honkono
(@honkono)

Posted by: mac_editor

@honkono I believe it will work as in the guide - but I cannot give guarantees ofc. Always purchase eGPU equipment that has a return period.

OK, thanks! I'm going to give it a try this fall sometime...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Christian -Ses
(@christian3006)

When I dont want to use my dedicated graphics anymore in Mac OS 10.13.4 by using the  purge-nvda.sh script (to disable discrete graphics), without activating it again, is it possible to hot-plug and hot-unplug the macbook to the amd gpu every time I want to leave my desk or is it necessary to shut down the Mac? 

What about the internal monitor, when using also an external monitor. Is it possible to use the clamshell mode and then hot-plug the gpu during the macbook is in standby? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator
Builds: 13

@christian3006 purge-nvda.sh has no banking on hot-plug/unplug support. It only helps to get video output through AMD eGPU. Whether or not dGPU is disabled, hot-plug/unplug should work for AMD eGPU.

"Desultory reading is delightful, but to be beneficial, our reading must be carefully directed." — Seneca

Author: kryptonitepurge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
Launching Apps on Specific (e)GPUs on macOS
Definitive macOS Thunderbolt eGFX Compatibility Registry

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Christian -Ses
(@christian3006)

Posted by: mac_editor

@christian3006 purge-nvda.sh has no banking on hot-plug/unplug support. It only helps to get video output through AMD eGPU. Whether or not dGPU is disabled, hot-plug/unplug should work for AMD eGPU.

ah okay. Did you tried the clamshell mode with your 15" Macbook Pro mid 2014 connected to the egpu?

ReplyQuote
Christian -Ses
(@christian3006)

I just checked, and the PSU fan does not turn off unless I remove the thunderbolt adapter from the port on the enclosure. So it's the same as what you said. But I honestly did not notice this until you pointed it out as the PSU fan is so quiet.

Regarding clamshell mode, this does not work for me at all. I believe its a limitation of purge-nvda that clamshell does not work properly (or sleeping when closing the lid). I have to use purge-nvda due to having an Nvidia dGPU. Hopefully newer versions of macOS remove the need to use this script.

Your laptop has an AMD Radeon dGPU, which is why clamshell works. But I cant help you with any questions regarding that sorry.

In a different thread they mention that clamshell mode is not working in combination with the purge script. Is it depending on the mid 2012 retina 14" version with the gt650m or do you also have the problem? 

ReplyQuote
vkbest
(@vkbest)

Hello.

I have exactly this machine. I'm interested in buy Akitio Node with adaptors and RX580. I only need this setup for windows (gaming), I don't need currently more power than 750m on Mac.

Its working this solution yet? I have installed 10.14.2 on Mac partition and Windows 10 (updated to last version) on bootcamp partition. Can I use the external GPU to accelerate internal screen  too (even if loses power)? or requires a external monitor?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
 of  15