2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)...

Notifications
Clear all

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.4 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

of  5
  RSS

Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

They both did. I unplugged the Node with the external but my windows still won't boot. Infinite spinning circle. I guess my only play here is to reset windows again and use the newXFX card and hope it's better ?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Perhaps trying the new card might make a difference. I don't know. I can say for sure that overclocking does shut off the computer since I simulated that on my setup too.

You might want to restore back to your initial state when only your bootcamp drivers and nothing else was installed (almost fresh state), and then try from there.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

The thing is I never did any overclocking to begin with. Do you mean because my PowerColor card came stock overclocked at 1330? The xfx I have from Best Buy says it's 1288 I think 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Maybe. I never managed to overclock beyond 1330 Mhz by the way. I think you should give your new card a shot. Do let me know the results!

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: MacBookPro
What version of FCPX is this? The latest (10.3.2)?

Yes.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

Maybe. I never managed to overclock beyond 1330 Mhz by the way. I think you should give your new card a shot. Do let me know the results!

So I just wiped again and before I install bootcamp support software again, should I install the new card and try again? That way my m370x doesn't conflict? Or what's the best sequence to go through this again. I have my dsdt folder on a Dropbox too if I need it... 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

No harm in trying before a clean install. I would say go for it! Kudos for having a backup of your DSDT data!

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

So I installed the new card.. it's doing the exact same thing. I plugged it in and my screen went black and I can only see the curser on my i internal sceeen nothing ever went to external. I rebooted and now it's stuck st the spinning circle just like before. I guess this is it. I've put in a week of effort I to this and 5-6 hours s night trying to trouble shoot this. I've gone through the ringer I guess rd just not meant to be. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)

@goalgue - I understand you can't go back a firmware, but I'm confused to as why the script/eGPU wouldn't work with my 2011 13" MacBook Air that is running Mac OS 10.12.3.  Was it because the script needed to have the Line 284, -f to -d edit?

I know how to run the script, reboot, rerun the script reboot, done.  However, others have reported the external screen coming on after the first reboot, but mine does not.  It doesn't come on the second time either.  The script recognizes the eGPU, see this thread and also attached image:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-w-750m-rx-480-akitio-node-on-macos-win-10/#post-6895

If I were to make the Line 284, -f to -d edit to the automate-eGPU.sh, should I uninstall the script and then retry?  Or should I uninstall the script, reset nvram, reinstall Mac OS 10.12.4, disable SIP, and then retry?

Mac 10124 RX460

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 4GB - Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Windows 10 - Mac OS 10.12.4
Node 202 Skylake Hackintosh - i5 6600k - RX 480 8GB - 16GB DDR4 - Dual Boot - Mac OS 10.12.3 - Windows 10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@zhutson24: It might be an incompatible RX 460 if XFX brand.

Without -f to -d change, the script never reaches the line 286 so -uninstall option restores kexts only in half with AMD cards. You may have lost your original kexts so I recommend macOS reinstallation firstly (which brings 10.12.4 very likely).

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)

Posted by: goalque

@zhutson24: It might be an incompatible RX 460 if XFX brand.

Without -f to -d change, the script never reaches the line 286 so -uninstall option restores kexts only in half with AMD cards. You may have lost your original kexts so I recommend macOS reinstallation firstly (which brings 10.12.4 very likely).

It is an XFX RX 460.  I will try a reinstall of Mac OS 10.12.4 and then retry rerunning the script.  If it doesn't work, then I'll return the card and try a different model.

Thank you for your help.

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 4GB - Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Windows 10 - Mac OS 10.12.4
Node 202 Skylake Hackintosh - i5 6600k - RX 480 8GB - 16GB DDR4 - Dual Boot - Mac OS 10.12.3 - Windows 10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

UPDATE: Some information on internal display acceleration with this build has been added to the guide.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

UPDATE: Known issues on Windows information updated to be more clear and precise in OP.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Caltobin

So I installed the new card.. it's doing the exact same thing. I plugged it in and my screen went black and I can only see the curser on my i internal sceeen nothing ever went to external. I rebooted and now it's stuck st the spinning circle just like before. I guess this is it. I've put in a week of effort I to this and 5-6 hours s night trying to trouble shoot this. I've gone through the ringer I guess rd just not meant to be. 

If you can, try using an NVIDIA GPU instead. You might have some success. Perhaps having different internal and external GPU manufacturer cards work better in general. Note that NVIDIA will have Pascal drivers available for macOS, so could look into 10xx series.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

If you can, try using an NVIDIA GPU instead. You might have some success.

So do you think it worked for OP because he had Nvidia dgpu then went for the AMD for the egpu? And that because my dgpu is AMD I need Nvidia forbmy egpu? Or because he went with a lower end 4gb rx 480? I've been using 8gb aftermarket cards.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Caltobin
So do you think it worked for OP because he had Nvidia dgpu then went for the and for the egpu? And that because my dgpu is amd I need Nvidia forbmy egpu? Or because he went with a lower end 4gb rx 480? I've been using 8gb aftermarket cards.

First off, I am the OP lol ;p

I can confirm that at least my Mac does not work (and not at all on Windows) well with NVIDIA GPUs on the Akitio Node. Other users have had success, but only using the Akitio Thunder2. I believe you previously mentioned having the same setup - which means you have the Node?

As for the 4GB vs. 8GB, I have highlighted the differences in the original post, although other factors may come into play which I might not be privy of. Using an NVIDIA GPU was my suggestion on the basis of my own experience with the setup. Or you could change your enclosure to a Thunder2 and probably get any GPU working. I recommend trying the former first if you can.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@Caltobin, you messed up your system by installing something from a suspicious "bootcampdrivers" site.

Please reinstall Windows 10 Boot Camp and download the official Boot Camp drivers from Apple. Boot Camp Assistant -> Action -> Download Windows Support Software.

RX 480 8GB is plug-and-play with the M370X. Avoid XFX brand.

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

@Caltobin, you messed up your system by installing something from a suspicious "bootcampdrivers" site.

Please reinstall Windows 10 Boot Camp and download the official Boot Camp drivers from Apple. Boot Camp Assistant -> Action -> Download Windows Support Software.

RX 480 8GB is plug-and-play with the M370X. Avoid XFX brand.

Hey @goalque, I reinstalled windows 10 with bootcamp drivers and the bootcamp amd software for m370x. When I plug the Node in with either my 1330hz PowerColor Rx 480 or the XFX 1288hz rx 480 both 8gb, the same thing happens. When I download the latest AMD software for the 480 it says I have no AMD Hardware to be found. So, I install manually using device manager. But, when I do this my system goes black screen and when I reboot to windows I get the infinite spinning circle and have to do a system restore or reinstallstion of windows 10. 

I have tried this with the external display plugged in with hdmi and display port cable, and even without external display plugged in. 

Can you explain how you got yours to be plug and play? i don't know what else to try.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@Caltobin: Maybe the Windows 10 version is the key: 10.0.10586

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/re-help-akitio-node-how-to-update-rx-480-in-bootcamp/#post-6554

I have a reference Sapphire RX 480 8GB.

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

@goalque looks like I have OS build 14393.969 ? I have the latest windows updates..How do I go to a different version? My bootcamp version just says Version 6 

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

There is an option "go back to an earlier build" under Recovery. May not be visible to you if your purchased Windows 10 is the Anniversary version.

The Anniversary update enables "fast startup" - you should keep it disabled:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203733

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

There is an option "go back to an earlier build" under Recovery. May not be visible to you if your purchased Windows 10 is the Anniversary version.

The Anniversary update enables "fast startup" - you should keep it disabled:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203733

There are no other builds for me to go back to I upgraded from windows 8.1 should I buy a fresh install of windows? I followed the fast start up link you sent and I'll try again..

Edit: tried again with both cards and same issue. Black screen with cursor and then when rebooted infinite spinning circle with and without Node plugged in. 

Not sure where this black screen came from or why it started happening now.. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

UPDATE: Added information about disabling the internal display when using eGPU-connected external displays.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Antharsious

Happy for you that you could finally make your setup 😉

I assuming, to make the AMD card powering the internal display would be (far?) more complicated, wouldn't be?

If you haven't seen it yet, just wanted to let you know that I have added some information to the original post regarding internal displays.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
kyleleblanc
(@kyleleblanc)

I've been following the eGPU scene over the last number of years always wanting to jump in, but having known about all the struggles with the 750m models made me always steer clear of the idea. I also don't like the idea of investing in an old Thunderbolt 2 eGPU setup like the Thunder2. I've been following this thread and I just want to say thank you so much for all the hard work you are doing OP. I own a late 2013 MacBook Pro 15 with 4960HQ + 750M running Windows 10 bootcamp and now knowing that the RX480 solves this problem is huge! I'd really wish/prefer (as I'm sure others would) if this eGPU setup would somehow be capable of working with the internal retina display because damn that would be awesome, I wouldn't even care about the performance hit. That being said, even if an external display is the only option and internal display never works, at least it's an option. If anyone does come up with a workaround for getting the eGPU to drive the internal display in Windows 10 bootcamp, please do share. :). Also, mac_editor, or anyone else for that matter, would you be interested and/or capable of testing this Akitio Node setup with other AMD cards such as the R9 Fury (for the no limit spender, sadly not me lol) or the more realistically priced RX580 (which is much more my price point) when it comes out soon? Thanks! 🙂

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@kyleleblanc you're most welcome! This is what eGPU.io is all about. I was here before - clueless of how to go about things - tried a setup with a GTX 980 Ti - which seemed to only work sometimes on macOS only. Who knew that an AMD card would work so flawlessly with this mac model.

Welcome to the community.

I have some other things coming up, so I doubt I will be experimenting with other GPUs for the moment. But someone else probably will do so - be on the lookout!

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Can anyone with an Integrated-Only Mac + external AMD GPU setup confirm that they have internal display acceleration on Windows 10 with AMD XConnect?

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Elliot
(@elliot)

I may be posting in the wrong area but I'm trying to gather a straight answer. Does the Akitio Node (Thunderbolt 3) work on a MBP 15" mid-2014 750m using the Apple TB3-TB2 adapter while on windows in boot camp with an Nvidia 10 series card. ? Either internal or external display. I have seen the implementations table but I'm trying to be sure. 

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

At the current state of research: unfortunately no!

I would advice to not choose a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure with the dGPU version of these MBPs if you want NVIDIA.

The problem is that the eGPU can not be detected in Windows at all...

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/what-is-the-most-painless-egpu-setup-as-of-2017-for-mpb-with-discrete-gpu-750m/#post-7142

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2014-mbp-w-750m-akitio-node-w-980-ti-mac_editor/#post-7131

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

UPDATE: Added some information about macOS updates, version compatibility clarifications, and a hypothesis on internal display acceleration.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@zhutson24: It seems that in your case, the appropriate kexts are not being loaded on boot. Please try the following:

• Reinstall macOS.
  • Do not modify anything in System/Library/Extensions. This is not required for the RX 460, but is for the RX 470/80. An installation on top of your current installation should overwrite the contents of this folder.
  • Use the modified eGPU script for 10.12.4 and try the setup.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
markbam
(@markbam)

I finally gave up on trying to run a recent nVidia card with this model Macbook and purchased a Radeon 580.

I can confirm that XConnect accelerates the internal screen in Windows 10 Creators Edition, if you use the refind, apple_set_os.efi, and gpu-switch methods. No external screen or headless dongle is required.

Mid-2017 MacBook Pro 15 inch Touchbar (Radeon Pro 560)
- Akitio Node (Radeon 580)
- Aorus Gaming Box (Geforce GTX 1080)

mac_editor and enjoy liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Thanks for the update @markbamThis is great news. It seems I should update my hypothesis in the original post and make it concrete ;p.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor: Did you try with the DIY eGPU kit 1.35 from nando4?

It is confirmed to work on 650m dGPU MBPs and Akitio Node!

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
 of  5