2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)...

Notifications
Clear all

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.4 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

of  15
  RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: zhutson24 

I can verify with my current setup, that the RX 460 works with Windows 10 on an external screen as smoothly as my GTX 1060 3GB and GTX 750ti 2GB.  However, I am unable to get the RX 460 to work with my current Mac OS 10.12.4 build.  I've tried all your steps and uninstalled/reinstalled the modified automate-eGPU.sh multiple times.  As you can see by the attached images, one shows that my external screen comes up in the System Information under Displays/Graphics.  However, under About this Mac or on the external screen itself, the RX 460 is yet to be present.  The automate-eGPU.sh doesn't return any errors and I've ran it multiple times with reboots.  I've included an image of the my GFX Card Status app and what apps are causing it to switch to the dGPU (GT 750m).  Any advice? Should I uninstall the GFX Card Status app?  Should I uninstall the apps that are causing the GFX to force dGPU?  I'm at a loss for what I can/should do.  Your help is much appreciated.

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 eGPU in Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Enclosure is plugged into external display

Mac OS 10.12.4

The GFX card status app does not work with eGPUs (at least not for me). It says that its using the dGPU but I know it isn't because the performance is 5x better. So you should not rely on the GFX app at all. Test with benchmarks.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

Perhaps I would try a clean install of AMD drivers from their website. Also, I would try disabling the M370X in the Device Manager. Finally, do you have the RX 480 4GB or 8GB?

I have done multiple reinstalls of AMD drivers and tried many different versions back to 16.xxx.xx. I have also tried disabling the 370x. I have the 8gb.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Caltobin

I have done multiple reinstalls of AMD drivers and tried many different versions back to 16.xxx.xx. I have also tried disabling the 370x. I have the 8gb.

Could it be that your GPU is overheating (too much overclock)? Given your equipment I would expect the setup to work flawlessly (since you have already solved the Code 12 issue w/ DSDT). Which RX 480 8GB do you have?

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

Could it be that your GPU is overheating (too much overclock)? Given your equipment I would expect the setup to work flawlessly (since you have already solved the Code 12 issue w/ DSDT). Which RX 480 8GB do you have?

I have this one:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131692

I know this is really amazing me..I have no overclocking. I read somewhere about needing to underclock or something? But, last night after the afterburner uninstall it worked great for a few hours. Tonight, it is back to crashing after 2 min... Oh and I ran a GPU Z log it said gpu was highest at 69 before the crash

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I have this one:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131692

I know this is really amazing me..I have no overclocking. I read somewhere about needing to underclock or something? But, last night after the afterburner uninstall it worked great for a few hours. Tonight, it is back to crashing after 2 min... Oh and I ran a GPU Z log it said gpu was highest at 69 before the crash

Hmm... this is odd. Perhaps try a different card. For reference, I have MSI RX 480 4G ARMOR OC edition.

A bit of online reading - and I discovered what you read too probably - overclocking software conflicts. Maybe the card would function on a clean install of Windows. In any case, you have two things to try before giving up on the card:

• Clear out such software and reset GPU to default settings.
  • Try a fresh windows installation.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

Hmm... this is odd. Perhaps try a different card. For reference, I have MSI RX 480 4G ARMOR OC edition.

A bit of online reading - and I discovered what you read too probably - overclocking software conflicts. Maybe the card would function on a clean install of Windows. In any case, you have two things to try before giving up on the card:

• Clear out such software and reset GPU to default settings.
  • Try a fresh windows installation.

Okay, so option 1: What is the best way to do this? Run DDU, AMD uninstall, and device manager uninstall? Then download the newest AMD software? And what about updating the m370x, do I do anything with that as far as updates or disabling?

And option 2: Is there a way to get a fresh windows install without compromising and redoing my partition?

I really appreciate the help on this by the way, I haven't been getting any response or clarity on this for days.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Okay, so option 1: What is the best way to do this? Run DDU, AMD uninstall, and device manager uninstall? Then download the newest AMD software? And what about updating the m370x, do I do anything with that as far as updates or disabling?

And option 2: Is there a way to get a fresh windows install without compromising and redoing my partition?

I really appreciate the help on this by the way, I haven't been getting any response or clarity on this for days.

DDU seems to be the way to go I guess. Make sure you have a system restore point setup so that you can get back safely if something goes haywire. Do this at your own risk. Disabling the M370X is probably useful if it helps in avoiding a DSDT override. If you have successfully increased memory space, then this step is optional.

For option 2, I would recommend redoing the partition. I don't know much about Windows (I just game on it and know some basics here and there) so I am not sure whether it has some factory restore feature.

Glad to be of assistance.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)

The GFX card status app does not work with eGPUs (at least not for me). It says that its using the dGPU but I know it isn't because the performance is 5x better. So you should not rely on the GFX app at all. Test with benchmarks.

Great!  So, when you tested with GFX, did your external monitor turn on?  Mine doesn't. When you removed GFX, did you disable startup at login or completely remove the app?  Also, should there be any other apps to watch out for? Will test results later today. Thank you!

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 4GB - Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Windows 10 - Mac OS 10.12.4
Node 202 Skylake Hackintosh - i5 6600k - RX 480 8GB - 16GB DDR4 - Dual Boot - Mac OS 10.12.3 - Windows 10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: zhutson24

Great!  So, when you tested with GFX, did your external monitor turn on?  Mine doesn't. When you removed GFX, did you disable startup at login or completely remove the app?  Also, should there be any other apps to watch out for? Will test results later today. Thank you!

The app should not have any implication on your setup results. It just indicates things incorrectly. For example, while running on the external display on the eGPU, it said that I was using integrated graphics. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)

The app should not have any implication on your setup results. It just indicates things incorrectly. For example, while running on the external display on the eGPU, it said that I was using integrated graphics.  

Ok, well I've removed the app completely and tried installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the automate-eGPU.sh multiple times with different Thunderbolt ports and different screens and I can't get it to utilize the second screen/eGPU.  Any help/pointers?

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 4GB - Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Windows 10 - Mac OS 10.12.4
Node 202 Skylake Hackintosh - i5 6600k - RX 480 8GB - 16GB DDR4 - Dual Boot - Mac OS 10.12.3 - Windows 10

ReplyQuote
 of  15