2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)...

Notifications
Clear all

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.4 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

of  15
  RSS

MacBookPro
(@macbookpro)

Posted by: mac_editor

UPDATE: It seems like both the RX 480 and NVIDIA 750M are used in combination when I open apps that require the "discrete" graphics - such as Final Cut Pro.

What version of FCPX is this? The latest (10.3.2)?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@zhutson24: I guess you did not follow the steps of automate-eGPU thread's starting post. You have to run the script twice on macOS (two restarts). By the way, once upgraded to macOS 10.12.4, you can never go back to earlier firmware versions.

Remember this important change:

nano +284,39 automate-eGPU.sh

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-sh-is-reborn-with-amd-polaris-fiji-support-for-macos/paged/3/#post-3742

@mac_editor, @Daelin:

The license doesn’t allow redistribution outside of GitHub:

https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/blob/master/SCRIPT-LICENSE.txt

Please remove links to the modified script.

I would love to see someone who has the basis of knowledge and skill for further development at GitHub. Simple a to b change doesn’t provide backwards compatibility. The script has to survive from every macOS upgrade to be alive. Otherwise, the script has came to the end of its life cycle.

@mac_editor: SwitchResX is a great app but I recommend DisableMonitor:

https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

Posted by: mac_editor

@caltobin can confirm that overclocking is the cause of the sudden reset of the graphics configurations, since I tried to do so using WattMan. Perhaps if you try my default configuration (using WattMan), things might work for you.

• Frequency: 1291 Mhz at State 7 (and lower, of course, on prior states).
  • Memory Frequency: 1750 Mhz.

Leave the rest of the settings as automatic. This is the default MSI ARMOR OC config for the RX 480 4GB (I am not using any other software components, such as Afterburner, besides AMD).

I ended up reinstalling windows, but now that I am back to the standard AMD Catalyst software for the m370x that comes in the Bootcamp Support package, My Rx 480 is not even recognized other than Display Adapter. Now, when I run the Crimson latest software for rx 480 it tells me no hardware is found. So without using 3rd party bootcampdrivers.com then how do you update with Crimson?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Try installing from the Windows Device Manager. 

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

Okay so my screen went black after I did that. Now I can't load into my windows. I reset windows through troubleshooter and everything was fine then I plugged the Node back in and immediately went black and I can't  load into windows again.

i purchased a different card XFX rx 480 I have next to me. Maybe I should try this one.. I'm about at wits end here.. this has been the most frustrating thing. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Do you mean the external display and the internal display both went black?

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

They both did. I unplugged the Node with the external but my windows still won't boot. Infinite spinning circle. I guess my only play here is to reset windows again and use the newXFX card and hope it's better ?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Perhaps trying the new card might make a difference. I don't know. I can say for sure that overclocking does shut off the computer since I simulated that on my setup too.

You might want to restore back to your initial state when only your bootcamp drivers and nothing else was installed (almost fresh state), and then try from there.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member

The thing is I never did any overclocking to begin with. Do you mean because my PowerColor card came stock overclocked at 1330? The xfx I have from Best Buy says it's 1288 I think 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Maybe. I never managed to overclock beyond 1330 Mhz by the way. I think you should give your new card a shot. Do let me know the results!

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
 of  15