Setup & Software Discussions
2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node)...

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 480 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.4 & Win10 [mac_editor]  

of  5
  RSS

(@christian3006)

I just checked, and the PSU fan does not turn off unless I remove the thunderbolt adapter from the port on the enclosure. So it's the same as what you said. But I honestly did not notice this until you pointed it out as the PSU fan is so quiet.

Regarding clamshell mode, this does not work for me at all. I believe its a limitation of purge-nvda that clamshell does not work properly (or sleeping when closing the lid). I have to use purge-nvda due to having an Nvidia dGPU. Hopefully newer versions of macOS remove the need to use this script.

Your laptop has an AMD Radeon dGPU, which is why clamshell works. But I cant help you with any questions regarding that sorry.

In a different thread they mention that clamshell mode is not working in combination with the purge script. Is it depending on the mid 2012 retina 14" version with the gt650m or do you also have the problem? 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
vkbest
(@vkbest)

Hello.

I have exactly this machine. I'm interested in buy Akitio Node with adaptors and RX580. I only need this setup for windows (gaming), I don't need currently more power than 750m on Mac.

Its working this solution yet? I have installed 10.14.2 on Mac partition and Windows 10 (updated to last version) on bootcamp partition. Can I use the external GPU to accelerate internal screen  too (even if loses power)? or requires a external monitor?

Thanks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
 of  5