Mid-2014 MacBook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13.6 [mac_editor]  

RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
July 25, 2018 4:01 pm  

System Specifications

• MacBook Pro 15" (Mid-2014)
  • CPU: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (i7-4870HQ)
  • GPU(s): Intel Iris Pro 5200, NVIDIA GeForce GT750M

eGPU Specifications

Installation

The installation process is usually straightforward if you use one of the solutions on this forum.

For macOS

• Use purge-wrangler.sh (Option #2)
  • Use purge-nvda.sh (Option #2)
  • If computer fails to boot after purge-nvda.sh, boot while pressing ⌘ + S, then type the following commands:
    mount -uw /
    purge-nvda

Then choose Option #4 and reboot.

Few things to keep in mind:

• Booting with the NVIDIA eGPU plugged in blocks POST and results in black screen. Delay plugging in (see below).
  • Hot-plugging eGPU may not work as expected without logging out and then logging in.
  • If the above suggestion for hot-plugging is followed, the internal display may be disabled.
  • If you choose not to use purge-nvda.sh, then NVIDIA eGPU will only provide Metal acceleration (no OpenCL/GL).

Not all applications take advantage of external GPUs. For that, one can use set-eGPU.sh to force applications to create OpenCL/GL and Metal queues on eGPUs first. This is not guaranteed to work, but may see significant improvements in some cases.

Delayed Boot Process for Systems W/O FileVault

• As soon as the loading bar appears, plug in the TB cable coming from your enclosure into your Mac.
  • The loading bar will slow down and stop around the halfway point.
  • Boot may be slower than normal.

Delayed Boot Process for Systems W/O FileVault

• The initial login screen will appear where you will be prompted to enter your password.
  • Put in your password, but do not press return or proceed further.
  • Be ready to plug in the TB cable from your enclosure, and do so after pressing return and before the loading bar appears below your account as the OS completes the boot.
  • The loading bar will slow down and stop around the halfway point.
  • Boot may be slower than normal.

For Windows

Windows is not supported with this configuration. A potential technique may be to use a PERST# delay and allow eGPU detection, but that is a rather involved hardware-oriented workaround that really doesn't go hand-in-hand with the AGB's all-in-one solution.

Benchmarks

These benchmarks were captured on macOS 10.13.5 (17F77), but functionality is identical on 10.13.6 (17G65):

External Display
Internal Display

Comments

I only use the eGPU for testing purposes at this time, but my experience and benchmarks make the following clear:

• Graphics performance over 750M: ~10x.
  • While the boot process is annoying, it is not too much trouble if you stay docked for long sessions.
  • Saying that Thunderbolt 1/2 are significant bottlenecks is not true at all.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
July 27, 2018 8:18 am  

@mac_editor, nicely done.

There are two ways you could try to delay the hardware initialization to overcome the black bootup screen and allow detection in Windows, without resorting to PERST wiring.  If game, try these after pass the Apple firmware, eg: in Windows or at the Windows bootup screen. Check in Device Manager after a rescan that the video card appears.

1. Unplug the PCIe power connector to the GTX1070
2. Hotplug the *whole* GTX1070 into the powered eGPU enclosure.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
July 27, 2018 10:30 am  

@nando4 Yes, I’ve read that in your (very detailed) Windows detection issues guide. It’s just not feasible to do it with an Aorus Box I guess. I have a feeling that it will work though.

Of course, it is worth doing as proof-of-concept. Will try that sometime. 😉

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
July 27, 2018 11:55 am  

@nando4 Actually I just tried simulating a PERST# delay using one alternative you outlined above (hot-plug GPU into PCIe slot) and it didn't help sadly. I tried different timings as well:

• Boot Manager Screen: Windows an enter away -> plugged in GPU, then pressed enter immediately - booted fine, no detection (maybe I could have slightly delayed - don't know). Plugging in much earlier -> hangs boot manager as expected.
  • After Boot: No change. GPU fans continue to spin without any activity from Windows (normal behavior as seen when delaying TB cable plug-in too).

I'll try more precise timing I suppose, in the future.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
July 27, 2018 12:06 pm  

@mac_editor, perhaps boot via apple_set_os.efi to simulate a macOS bootup configuration?

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
July 27, 2018 12:14 pm  

@nando4 Roger. Will give that a shot. I already re-assembled the enclosure but realized it's actually trivial to open up. I'd be grateful if you could come up with a list of things you would recommend trying in one sitting (besides stuff in the guide). Also don't wanna man-handle an eGPU I was generously given by @itsage too many times haha. My luck with eGPUs in general is quite sad as you may have noticed..

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
Twister
(@twister)
Eminent Member
August 9, 2018 5:22 pm  

I think I spoke too soon - the script worked for me the first time I booted, and now for the life of me I cannot get it to work again. As before I plugged in egpu as soon as the boot loading bar appeared, and as before the internal screen went a bit wonky before both internal and external screens came to life successfully... only now it only works for 3 seconds before it crashes into blackscreen of death. Any help appreciated. cheers

Edit. And now I can't seem to call purge-nvda or purge-wrangler using terminal anymore. Just want to uninstall at this point.

2012 Mac Mini 2.6/OSX 10.13.6/Sonnet Echo Express Pro TB1/Nvidia GTX 960 2GB
2014 MBP 750M/OSX10.13.6/Aorus Gaming 650ti w/TB2-TB3 adapter

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
August 9, 2018 5:46 pm  

@twister Uninstall both scripts. Then try only purge-wrangler.sh. See if it works across boots.

Then apply purge-nvda.sh. See if it works across boots. If you don't need OpenCL compute on eGPU, don't use purge-nvda.

Edit: If it get's stuck again, apply Option #4 of purge-nvda (if you used it) again in Single User Mode as advised in the guide. Then see if it works again.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
Twister
(@twister)
Eminent Member
August 9, 2018 5:52 pm  

Thanks. I'm trying to uninstall but can't seem to access the scripts via terminal now... after input password there's nothing...

Edit. I used the link again and it seems like I can uninstall. Gonna try one more time.

2012 Mac Mini 2.6/OSX 10.13.6/Sonnet Echo Express Pro TB1/Nvidia GTX 960 2GB
2014 MBP 750M/OSX10.13.6/Aorus Gaming 650ti w/TB2-TB3 adapter

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
August 9, 2018 5:57 pm  
Posted by: Twister

Thanks. I'm trying to uninstall but can't seem to access the scripts via terminal now... after input password there's nothing...

Give it some time :p it pings GitHub to check for any new updates.

Edit: If it still get's stuck, just disconnect from the internet and execute.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

Twister liked
ReplyQuote
(@christian3006)
August 25, 2018 11:29 am  

Few things to keep in mind:

• Booting with the NVIDIA eGPU plugged in blocks POST and results in black screen. Delay plugging in (see below).
  • Hot-plugging eGPU may not work as expected without logging out and then logging in.
  • If the above suggestion for hot-plugging is followed, the internal display may be disabled.
  • If you choose not to use purge-nvda.sh, then NVIDIA eGPU will only provide Metal acceleration (no OpenCL/GL).

Currently Im using my Macbook Pro Retina 2012 15-inch with dedicated 650m only in clamshell mode. Its always closed and attached to an LG curved monitor. Is it possible to activate the egpu without seeing the internal screen, when Im restarting the Macbook?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@jeonghyun_kim)
October 31, 2018 2:30 am  

So, we can’t using egpu in windows?? My macbook pro(2013late) is not recognized in windows...

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
rmihai
(@rmihai)
December 12, 2018 5:53 pm  

Hello! Please help!!!!
I have same Macbook Pro mid.2014 and i used with AMD RX580 and i instal this:  

MAC OS X MOJAVE   10.14.2

But after instalation  i have black screen on external monitor.How to fix this.Thank you!!!
Connection: TB3/Tb2 adapter---->to eGPU and HDMI Cable----->to external monitor.

purge-wrangler said......

>> Anomaly Detection

Anomaly Detection will check your system to find

potential hiccups based on the applied system patches.

Discrete GPU: NVIDIA

Problem     Black screens on monitors connected to eGPU.

Resolution  Apply patches using purge-nvda.sh.

2014 MBP 750M/OSX10.14.2/AKitio Node/AMD RX 580 /TB2-TB3 adapter

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
December 12, 2018 6:00 pm  

@rmihai Please add you system info. to your signature. What OS are you using? Where have you connected the external display - to the eGPU or the Mac directly? Retry steps again.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
rmihai
(@rmihai)
December 12, 2018 6:04 pm  

Sorry.I edit my comment.Look up. 🙂

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
December 12, 2018 6:06 pm  

@rmihai Thank you for that. I am guessing the PurgeNVDA patches did not apply. This is mentioned in the documentation (the setting behaves very oddly). I would suggest retrying. If it still doesn't work, retry in single user mode.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
rmihai
(@rmihai)
December 12, 2018 6:30 pm  

Not Work. :((

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
December 12, 2018 7:37 pm  

@rmihai Verify if eGPU is working correctly without monitor. Try using Geekbench to run a benchmark on the eGPU.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
(@georgios_lachanas)
December 14, 2018 10:40 am  

@mac_editor  will this work if booting from external usb disk?
Macbook pro mid2014 with 750m+node pro+apple tb3->2+apple tb2 cable+monitor connected with hdmi(node pro->monitor)
I boot from Samsung T1 with 10.13.6 (17G65).Installed wrangler which installed Nvidia web drivers (no cuda) and option 2.
Node pro recognised but not my 1070ti.External monitor not present.

ReplyQuote
(@thomas_tows)
December 14, 2018 2:51 pm  

I work with a MacBook Pro Late 2013 + Geforce 750M + macOS 10.14.2.

I use a Sonnet Breakaway 650 case + Asus Radeon RX Vega 56 as my external graphics card and want to use the eGPU with my internal monitor.

As described for other users, I selected "purge-wrangler.sh" option "1" and then connected the eGPU. However, this is not shown under "About my Mac". Only under graphics cards as external eGPU and under Thunderbolt.

I have selected the eGPU as my preferred graphics card.

Where is the stupid problem?!?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
December 14, 2018 4:47 pm  

@thomas_tows read the troubleshooting guide regarding this. It’s not an issue. 

@georgios_lachanas it should work fine even in external disk. Follow the boot procedures as described in the original post. Timing is important. You can also try hot-plugging after the system boots, and log out. This may disable the internal monitor though.

----
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
(@georgios_lachanas)
December 14, 2018 7:36 pm  

@mac_editor
Good to know.
I believe I tried all possible timings (plugged egpu when Apple logo shows,when loading bar appears,middle half the loading bar,after complete boot and logout and login) but I'll keep trying now that I know that external disk isn't the problem.

So is it normal that node pro is shown in system report but 1070ti isn't ?

ReplyQuote