Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX480@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12.6/Win10 [mac_editor]^ // compared to NVidia build  

Page 1 / 4 Next

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Prominent Member Moderator
April 5, 2017 9:51 pm  

If you have read my NVIDIA implementation on this model here you probably already know that setting up an NVIDIA eGPU on this MacBook model along with the Akitio Node is not possible on Windows. The procedure to boot is also finicky and does not guarantee success on macOS. There have only been speculations regarding an external AMD card + internal discrete NVIDIA combo; I am here to put those to bed. 

Requirements

The following equipment is required:

• Thunderbolt 3 eGPU Enclosure
  • AMD RX 480/580 4GB
  • External Display
  • Thunderbolt 3 > Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
  • Thunderbolt 2 Cable

macOS Setup

For macOS High Sierra, you require:

Follow the steps detailed for purge-nvda.sh to enable native AMD eGPU acceleration. Then run purge-wrangler.sh according to the instructions. I recommend macOS Sierra for eGPU setups, however. It's simply a better experience without having to purge the dGPU that causes its own set of problems.

For macOS 10.12.6 (older versions not recommended), you require 2 scripts:

Please follow these steps:

Step 1

Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) by booting into Recovery (⌘ + R on boot) and run the following commands in Terminal:

$ csrutil disable
$ reboot

You should be back into macOS without incident.

Step 2

• Connect an external display to the eGPU
  • Plug in your eGPU through the thunderbolt interface

Step 3 

Finally, execute the following commands in Terminal:

$ sudo su
$ ./automate-eGPU.sh
$ ./enable-baffin-CUs.sh ellesmere 36
$ touch /System/Library/Extensions/
$ reboot

Your mac should restart once it acquires disk lock - and work flawlessly with your eGPU.

Issues on macOS Sierra

# Log Outs Not Supported

Logging out will crash your Mac. Restarts or shutdowns are the only option to switch users.

# Slow macOS UI Performance

Use of the eGPU-connected external display alongside the internal display may result in glitchy/slow UI performance.

Workaround: Disable Displays have separate spaces in Mission Control settings or disable the internal display entirely.

# macOS Updates

For any macOS system updates, script changes may be undone.

Workaround: Redo the setup process.

Windows Setup

This build is compatible with all recent versions of Windows.

There is not much to do here:

• Ensure that your eGPU is connected to an external display
  • Power on Mac with eGPU plugged in
  • On boot, Windows will either automatically setup AMD XConnect or disconnect from the internet automatically to allow manual installation of already downloaded drivers
  • You can optionally manually update to the latest AMD drivers

Internal display acceleration is possible by:

• Using apple_set_os.efi to enable iGPU on boot into Windows (see here)
  • Rebooting into Windows after switching to the iGPU with eGPU connected

Issues on Windows

No major problems to report.

# Hardware Change Notification

Windows may inform you that hardware changes have occurred and suggest a restart.

Workaround: The message is only temporary and will not hassle you in subsequent sessions.

AMD vs. NVIDIA

This setup has the following advantages over using an NVIDIA 9xx or newer eGPU with this model:

• Works flawlessly on both macOS and Windows
  • No POST issue - boots with 100 % success rate
  • Much better Final Cut Pro performance over NVIDIA chips in macOS
  • Much easier to implement.

It is worth noting that Kepler cards work as well as the RX series on this mac model, including native support in macOS. 

macOS Benchmarks

The configuration employs 2x HP 24ea 1080P displays on the 750M, 980 Ti, and the RX 480.

750M:

• Unigine Heaven: 8.8 FPS with a score of 221
  • BruceX Final Cut Pro – Uncompressed ProRes Export: ~90s, H.264 Export: ~210s

GTX 980 Ti eGPU:

• Unigine Heaven: 64.2 FPS with a score of 1617
  • BruceX Final Cut Pro – Uncompressed ProRes Export: ~56s, H.264 Export: ~120s

AMD RX 480 eGPU:

• Unigine Heaven: 29.6~30 FPS, with a score of 745~750
  • BruceX Final Cut Pro - Uncompressed ProRes Export: ~36s, H.264 Export: ~90s

AMD MOCL

Windows Benchmarks

Before comparing results, note that in Windows my GPU is slightly overclocked at 1355 Mhz Core | 1825 Mhz Mem | Power +50% Aggressive cooling.

The results of Unigine Heaven on OpenCL and DirectX:

AMD OCL
AMD DX

There are many many posts on eGPU.io about gaming benchmarks so I'm not going to go into that. Instead, I recorded gameplay via Game DVR at what I feel are optimal settings for the RX 480. I also chose NFS games instead of the usual titles. These are just ~30s glimpses of the gameplay running consistently @60fps on the internal display.

Need For Speed (2015) @1440x900 High w/ Vehicle Geometry Ultra

Need For Speed Rivals (2013) @1440x900 Ultra

1440x900 looks sufficiently nice for most racing games on the internal display, and is a good mid-point between performance and quality - for the RX 480. Disabling Game DVR would of course yield slightly better results no doubt, although it is worth noting that both games can play as smooth or more on an external display setup @1080p without Game DVR. For high-FPS games such as Rocket League, using the internal display is abysmal thanks to bandwidth constraints: I only managed to touch 140 fps in training, while on the external display I managed 240 fps in the same mode.

Edited: 1 week  ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.sh

Guides:
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX480@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & Win10
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + GTX980Ti@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

Sungjoon Park, SheldonTung, openmindead and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)
April 5, 2017 10:19 pm  

Were you able to get the 10.12.4 OS to work with RX 480 without updating through the Terminal?  or did you have to use the Terminal method to update to 10.12.4?

Thank you for This! Will try tonight.

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 4GB - Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Windows 10 - Mac OS 10.12.4
Node 202 Skylake Hackintosh - i5 6600k - RX 480 8GB - 16GB DDR4 - Dual Boot - Mac OS 10.12.3 - Windows 10

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)
April 5, 2017 10:27 pm  

Additionally, the Terminal method to update would only be required for the RX 480.  Since I am trying an eGPU setup with a RX 460, I should be fine to run the modified automate-eGPU.sh in Mac OS 10.12.4?

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 4GB - Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Windows 10 - Mac OS 10.12.4
Node 202 Skylake Hackintosh - i5 6600k - RX 480 8GB - 16GB DDR4 - Dual Boot - Mac OS 10.12.3 - Windows 10

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member
April 5, 2017 10:54 pm  

Happy for you that you could finally make your setup 😉

I assuming, to make the AMD card powering the internal display would be (far?) more complicated, wouldn't be?

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + GTX1060@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 6, 2017 12:10 am  

Thanks @Antharsious! I'll try and look into it for you once I have the time. Although I can say with confidence that if you use the external display, its going to be a piece of cake to setup.

Guides:
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX480@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS & Win10
Mid-2014 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + GTX980Ti@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 6, 2017 12:12 am  
Posted by: zhutson24

Were you able to get the 10.12.4 OS to work with RX 480 without updating through the Terminal?  or did you have to use the Terminal method to update to 10.12.4?

Thank you for This! Will try tonight.

I was already upgraded to 10.12.4.

Guides:

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 6, 2017 12:13 am  

Additionally, the Terminal method to update would only be required for the RX 480.  Since I am trying an eGPU setup with a RX 460, I should be fine to run the modified automate-eGPU.sh in Mac OS 10.12.4?

I think you will be fine with the RX 460 since you do not need kext mods.

Guides:

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member
April 6, 2017 1:06 am  

I have this setup with the mid 2015 15" m370x but in Windows 10 I had to do the DSDT Iverride to get rid of code 12.

Everything was recognized and working but after launching a game and playing after 2 min it would give me a Wattmans System Failre error message and crash my whole rig and need to reset. 

By browsing forums I found out to uninstall MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner. So I did and now my games run for about 2 hours before the system fail.

any idea as to whether this is egpu related or maybe faulty card? I have some threads on here but no solutions or ideas.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 6, 2017 1:19 am  
Posted by: Caltobin

I have this setup with the mid 2015 15" m370x but in Windows 10 I had to do the DSDT Iverride to get rid of code 12.

Everything was recognized and working but after launching a game and playing after 2 min it would give me a Wattmans System Failre error message and crash my whole rig and need to reset. 

By browsing forums I found out to uninstall MSI Afterburner and Riva Tuner. So I did and now my games run for about 2 hours before the system fail.

any idea as to whether this is egpu related or maybe faulty card? I have some threads on here but no solutions or ideas.

Perhaps I would try a clean install of AMD drivers from their website. Also, I would try disabling the M370X in the Device Manager. Finally, do you have the RX 480 4GB or 8GB?

Guides:

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)
April 6, 2017 3:07 am  
Posted by: mac_editor 

I think you will be fine with the RX 460 since you do not need kext mods.

I can verify with my current setup, that the RX 460 works with Windows 10 on an external screen as smoothly as my GTX 1060 3GB and GTX 750ti 2GB.  However, I am unable to get the RX 460 to work with my current Mac OS 10.12.4 build.  I've tried all your steps and uninstalled/reinstalled the modified automate-eGPU.sh multiple times.  As you can see by the attached images, one shows that my external screen comes up in the System Information under Displays/Graphics.  However, under About this Mac or on the external screen itself, the RX 460 is yet to be present.  The automate-eGPU.sh doesn't return any errors and I've ran it multiple times with reboots.  I've included an image of the my GFX Card Status app and what apps are causing it to switch to the dGPU (GT 750m).  Any advice? Should I uninstall the GFX Card Status app?  Should I uninstall the apps that are causing the GFX to force dGPU?  I'm at a loss for what I can/should do.  Your help is much appreciated.

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 eGPU in Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Enclosure is plugged into external display

Mac OS 10.12.4

Edited: 1 year  ago

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 6, 2017 4:34 am  

I can verify with my current setup, that the RX 460 works with Windows 10 on an external screen as smoothly as my GTX 1060 3GB and GTX 750ti 2GB.  However, I am unable to get the RX 460 to work with my current Mac OS 10.12.4 build.  I've tried all your steps and uninstalled/reinstalled the modified automate-eGPU.sh multiple times.  As you can see by the attached images, one shows that my external screen comes up in the System Information under Displays/Graphics.  However, under About this Mac or on the external screen itself, the RX 460 is yet to be present.  The automate-eGPU.sh doesn't return any errors and I've ran it multiple times with reboots.  I've included an image of the my GFX Card Status app and what apps are causing it to switch to the dGPU (GT 750m).  Any advice? Should I uninstall the GFX Card Status app?  Should I uninstall the apps that are causing the GFX to force dGPU?  I'm at a loss for what I can/should do.  Your help is much appreciated.

Late 2013 15" MBPr w/ GT 750m - RX 460 eGPU in Akitio Thunderbolt 2 Enclosure - Enclosure is plugged into external display

Mac OS 10.12.4

The GFX card status app does not work with eGPUs (at least not for me). It says that its using the dGPU but I know it isn't because the performance is 5x better. So you should not rely on the GFX app at all. Test with benchmarks.

Guides:

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member
April 6, 2017 4:44 am  

Perhaps I would try a clean install of AMD drivers from their website. Also, I would try disabling the M370X in the Device Manager. Finally, do you have the RX 480 4GB or 8GB?

I have done multiple reinstalls of AMD drivers and tried many different versions back to 16.xxx.xx. I have also tried disabling the 370x. I have the 8gb.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 6, 2017 4:47 am  

I have done multiple reinstalls of AMD drivers and tried many different versions back to 16.xxx.xx. I have also tried disabling the 370x. I have the 8gb.

Could it be that your GPU is overheating (too much overclock)? Given your equipment I would expect the setup to work flawlessly (since you have already solved the Code 12 issue w/ DSDT). Which RX 480 8GB do you have?

Guides:

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member
April 6, 2017 5:02 am  

Could it be that your GPU is overheating (too much overclock)? Given your equipment I would expect the setup to work flawlessly (since you have already solved the Code 12 issue w/ DSDT). Which RX 480 8GB do you have?

I have this one:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131692

I know this is really amazing me..I have no overclocking. I read somewhere about needing to underclock or something? But, last night after the afterburner uninstall it worked great for a few hours. Tonight, it is back to crashing after 2 min... Oh and I ran a GPU Z log it said gpu was highest at 69 before the crash

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 6, 2017 5:14 am  

I have this one:  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131692

I know this is really amazing me..I have no overclocking. I read somewhere about needing to underclock or something? But, last night after the afterburner uninstall it worked great for a few hours. Tonight, it is back to crashing after 2 min... Oh and I ran a GPU Z log it said gpu was highest at 69 before the crash

Hmm... this is odd. Perhaps try a different card. For reference, I have MSI RX 480 4G ARMOR OC edition.

A bit of online reading - and I discovered what you read too probably - overclocking software conflicts. Maybe the card would function on a clean install of Windows. In any case, you have two things to try before giving up on the card:

• Clear out such software and reset GPU to default settings.
  • Try a fresh windows installation.

Guides:

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member
April 6, 2017 5:33 am  

Hmm... this is odd. Perhaps try a different card. For reference, I have MSI RX 480 4G ARMOR OC edition.

A bit of online reading - and I discovered what you read too probably - overclocking software conflicts. Maybe the card would function on a clean install of Windows. In any case, you have two things to try before giving up on the card:

• Clear out such software and reset GPU to default settings.
  • Try a fresh windows installation.

Okay, so option 1: What is the best way to do this? Run DDU, AMD uninstall, and device manager uninstall? Then download the newest AMD software? And what about updating the m370x, do I do anything with that as far as updates or disabling?

And option 2: Is there a way to get a fresh windows install without compromising and redoing my partition?

I really appreciate the help on this by the way, I haven't been getting any response or clarity on this for days.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 6, 2017 5:40 am  

Okay, so option 1: What is the best way to do this? Run DDU, AMD uninstall, and device manager uninstall? Then download the newest AMD software? And what about updating the m370x, do I do anything with that as far as updates or disabling?

And option 2: Is there a way to get a fresh windows install without compromising and redoing my partition?

I really appreciate the help on this by the way, I haven't been getting any response or clarity on this for days.

DDU seems to be the way to go I guess. Make sure you have a system restore point setup so that you can get back safely if something goes haywire. Do this at your own risk. Disabling the M370X is probably useful if it helps in avoiding a DSDT override. If you have successfully increased memory space, then this step is optional.

For option 2, I would recommend redoing the partition. I don't know much about Windows (I just game on it and know some basics here and there) so I am not sure whether it has some factory restore feature.

Glad to be of assistance.

Guides:

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)
April 6, 2017 12:24 pm  

The GFX card status app does not work with eGPUs (at least not for me). It says that its using the dGPU but I know it isn't because the performance is 5x better. So you should not rely on the GFX app at all. Test with benchmarks.

Great!  So, when you tested with GFX, did your external monitor turn on?  Mine doesn't. When you removed GFX, did you disable startup at login or completely remove the app?  Also, should there be any other apps to watch out for? Will test results later today. Thank you!

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 6, 2017 11:13 pm  

Great!  So, when you tested with GFX, did your external monitor turn on?  Mine doesn't. When you removed GFX, did you disable startup at login or completely remove the app?  Also, should there be any other apps to watch out for? Will test results later today. Thank you!

The app should not have any implication on your setup results. It just indicates things incorrectly. For example, while running on the external display on the eGPU, it said that I was using integrated graphics. 

Guides:

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)
April 7, 2017 3:45 am  

The app should not have any implication on your setup results. It just indicates things incorrectly. For example, while running on the external display on the eGPU, it said that I was using integrated graphics.  

Ok, well I've removed the app completely and tried installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the automate-eGPU.sh multiple times with different Thunderbolt ports and different screens and I can't get it to utilize the second screen/eGPU.  Any help/pointers?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 7, 2017 3:59 am  

Ok, well I've removed the app completely and tried installing/uninstalling/reinstalling the automate-eGPU.sh multiple times with different Thunderbolt ports and different screens and I can't get it to utilize the second screen/eGPU.  Any help/pointers? 

Just to make sure we aren't missing anything - have you tested that the card works in the first place (or perhaps it does not have sufficient power or whatnot)? I am just grasping at straws here. I don't see why the setup won't work.

automate-eGPU does recognize the GPU, correct?

Guides:

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 7, 2017 4:05 am  

Gents,  pls take a moment to edit out nested quotes so are only quoting what you are replying to to avoid redundancy.  The quote reply being nested by default by the forum software, requiring editting.

As if yesterday there is a tweaked interface to make the edits easier as a workaround this forum limitation.

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 7, 2017 5:28 am  

@nando4 duly noted.

@caltobin can confirm that overclocking is the cause of the sudden reset of the graphics configurations, since I tried to do so using WattMan. Perhaps if you try my default configuration (using WattMan), things might work for you.

• Frequency: 1291 Mhz at State 7 (and lower, of course, on prior states).
  • Memory Frequency: 1750 Mhz.

Leave the rest of the settings as automatic. This is the default MSI ARMOR OC config for the RX 480 4GB (I am not using any other software components, such as Afterburner, besides AMD).

Guides:

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)
April 7, 2017 2:41 pm  

Just to make sure we aren't missing anything - have you tested that the card works in the first place (or perhaps it does not have sufficient power or whatnot)? I am just grasping at straws here. I don't see why the setup won't work.

automate-eGPU does recognize the GPU, correct?

@nando4 will do.

The RX 460 works with Windows 10 on the same MBPr / eGPU setup.  I bench marked a Heaven Score of 1127 and an average FPS of 44.7 at 1080p.  HWInfo showed a max power draw of 65Watts.  I have an 120Watt external power setup that I've successfully used on my GTX 750ti and GTX 1060 3GB.  Power supply is not an issue.

See attached figure for it being recognized by my MBPr.  I thought it would work too, but I'm missing something.

Mac 10124 RX460

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 7, 2017 3:41 pm  

The RX 460 works with Windows 10 on the same MBPr / eGPU setup.  I bench marked a Heaven Score of 1127 and an average FPS of 44.7 at 1080p.  HWInfo showed a max power draw of 65Watts.  I have an 120Watt external power setup that I've successfully used on my GTX 750ti and GTX 1060 3GB.  Power supply is not an issue.

See attached figure for it being recognized by my MBPr.  I thought it would work too, but I'm missing something.

Have you tried the default automate-eGPU.sh script?

Guides:

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)
April 7, 2017 4:19 pm  

Have you tried the default automate-eGPU.sh script?

Yes, but on a 10.12.3 OS as the original automate-eGPU.sh points to AMD9500Controller.kext and Mac OS 10.12.4 has a AMD9510Controller.  I've also tried the eGPU on my 2011 13" Macbook Air.  Didn't work there, either.  Not sure if there are different issues.  I think I might just return the RX 460 and wait for Pascal drivers for my GTX 1060.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 7, 2017 4:20 pm  

UPDATE: It seems like both the RX 480 and NVIDIA 750M are used in combination when I open apps that require the "discrete" graphics - such as Final Cut Pro.

Guides:

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
April 7, 2017 4:37 pm  

Yes, but on a 10.12.3 OS as the original automate-eGPU.sh points to AMD9500Controller.kext and Mac OS 10.12.4 has a AMD9510Controller.  I've also tried the eGPU on my 2011 13" Macbook Air.  Didn't work there, either.  Not sure if there are different issues.  I think I might just return the RX 460 and wait for Pascal drivers for my GTX 1060.

Its odd that the setup did not work on a 2011 MBA on macOS. I guess waiting for Pascal or getting a 470/480 would be a good alternative.

Guides:

ReplyQuote
zhutson24
(@zhutson24)
April 7, 2017 4:49 pm  

Its odd that the setup did not work on a 2011 MBA on macOS. I guess waiting for Pascal or getting a 470/480 would be a good alternative.

I know, I thought the RX 460 would work best seeing as Apple has been using Baffin in the MBPr 2016 line.  I'll keep posted if I ever get it to work, but I'll probably return the RX 460.

ReplyQuote
jconly
(@jconly)
Eminent Member
April 7, 2017 8:20 pm  

UPDATE: It seems like both the RX 480 and NVIDIA 750M are used in combination when I open apps that require the "discrete" graphics - such as Final Cut Pro.

This has been my experience with a GTX980ti on the same machine.  (Capture One, OpenCL based)
Seems it prioritizes discrete graphics, and then overflows to the 980.

ReplyQuote
MacBookPro
(@macbookpro)
April 7, 2017 9:19 pm  

What version of FCPX is this? The latest (10.3.2)?

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Prominent Member Admin
April 7, 2017 10:58 pm  

@zhutson24: I guess you did not follow the steps of automate-eGPU thread's starting post. You have to run the script twice on macOS (two restarts). By the way, once upgraded to macOS 10.12.4, you can never go back to earlier firmware versions.

Remember this important change:

nano +284,39 automate-eGPU.sh

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/automate-egpu-sh-is-reborn-with-amd-polaris-fiji-support-for-macos/paged/3/#post-3742

@mac_editor, @Daelin:

The license doesn’t allow redistribution outside of GitHub:

https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU/blob/master/SCRIPT-LICENSE.txt

Please remove links to the modified script.

I would love to see someone who has the basis of knowledge and skill for further development at GitHub. Simple a to b change doesn’t provide backwards compatibility. The script has to survive from every macOS upgrade to be alive. Otherwise, the script has came to the end of its life cycle.

@mac_editor: SwitchResX is a great app but I recommend DisableMonitor:

https://github.com/Eun/DisableMonitor

automate-eGPU.shapple_set_os.efi
--
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + Vega64@32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T) + macOS & Win10
late-2016 13" Macbook Pro nTB + GTX980/RX580@32Gbps-TB3 (Netstor HL23T) + macOS10.13 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member
April 7, 2017 11:17 pm  

@caltobin can confirm that overclocking is the cause of the sudden reset of the graphics configurations, since I tried to do so using WattMan. Perhaps if you try my default configuration (using WattMan), things might work for you.

• Frequency: 1291 Mhz at State 7 (and lower, of course, on prior states).
  • Memory Frequency: 1750 Mhz.

Leave the rest of the settings as automatic. This is the default MSI ARMOR OC config for the RX 480 4GB (I am not using any other software components, such as Afterburner, besides AMD).

I ended up reinstalling windows, but now that I am back to the standard AMD Catalyst software for the m370x that comes in the Bootcamp Support package, My Rx 480 is not even recognized other than Display Adapter. Now, when I run the Crimson latest software for rx 480 it tells me no hardware is found. So without using 3rd party bootcampdrivers.com then how do you update with Crimson?

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)

ReplyQuote
Caltobin
(@caltobin)
Eminent Member
April 7, 2017 11:59 pm  

Okay so my screen went black after I did that. Now I can't load into my windows. I reset windows through troubleshooter and everything was fine then I plugged the Node back in and immediately went black and I can't  load into windows again.

i purchased a different card XFX rx 480 I have next to me. Maybe I should try this one.. I'm about at wits end here.. this has been the most frustrating thing. 

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4 Next